Cigar Distributors on the West Coast?

Started by metalhead y cigarguy, 11/18/2011 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalhead y cigarguy

So it seems like all the distributors I order cigars from are in New York or in Pennsylvania and all the big names are some where along the East Coast; (ie CI, Cigar.com, Holts, Thompson's, Famous, Cuban Crafters, etc.)

Are there any major distributors along the West Coast or the Mid-west?  :confused:
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

Ken Kelley

Seems to me the east coast is closer to the source of supply and such. I don't think I would want to try to open such a bidness anyplace on the west coast given the situation out there and all. Midwest sounds good though since the tax burden would surely be more favorable than places like NY.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Brlesq

Cigar King in Phoenix is a big one that I order from frequently.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

nwb

Simple fact of the matter - tobacco businesses on the west coast can't compete due to taxation.  The reason all the major players are in PA and FL is because they have zero tobacco tax.

With that being said, CigarKing out of Arizona is a decent place to buy.  So are some of the vendors in TX.
Chief of Shaft

Jackal

Quotenwb - 11/18/2011  3:34 PM

Simple fact of the matter - tobacco businesses on the west coast can't compete due to taxation.  The reason all the major players are in PA and FL is because they have zero tobacco tax.

With that being said, CigarKing out of Arizona is a decent place to buy.  So are some of the vendors in TX.

I am still trying to understand how NY online stores can survive.  Do they only get taxed if they sell within the state?

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nwb

What major online retailer is based out of NY?  Just curious.
Chief of Shaft

horrido

Quotenwb - 11/18/2011  6:34 PM

X2 tax laws are the killer and NWB is dead on.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

metalhead y cigarguy

Quotenwb - 11/18/2011  3:53 PM

BestCigarPrices.com was, but they just opened their new facility in Drums, PA.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

wlfwalleye

Quotenwb - 11/18/2011  5:53 PM

Cigars at Your Price
E-Gars
Nice Ash

3 different priced websites for the SAME company.

DonM

Keep in mind most cigars coming into the US come through manufacturers based in Fl and the reason FL fights any tax on the cigar industry. Now cigarette smokers got shyt on this last year at $1 a pack and were whining. Sucks to be them

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

QuoteJackal - 11/18/2011  6:43 PM
I am still trying to understand how NY online stores can survive.  Do they only get taxed if they sell within the state?

Yes.  Most of them won't even sell to us in-state guys.  If they do, they must tack on he 80% of retail tobacco tax + local 8.5% sales tax, effectively almost doubling the price of a cigar. :-(

My local B&M has a great website that most of you have not visited.  He also ships International.  You might want to check him out.  Great selection.  Customer service at the store is excellent, but I don't know how internet orders work with them.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/premiumcigars.html

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Mozwik

Quotemetalhead y cigarguy - 11/18/2011  3:22 PM

So it seems like all the distributors I order cigars from are in New York or in Pennsylvania and all the big names are some where along the East Coast; (ie CI, Cigar.com, Holts, Thompson's, Famous, Cuban Crafters, etc.)

Are there any major distributors along the West Coast or the Mid-west?  :confused:

Yeah, Jason, aka Jackal  :-)

CrazyK

QuoteBrlesq - 11/18/2011  10:30 PM

QuoteJackal - 11/18/2011  6:43 PM

Yes.  Most of them won't even sell to us in-state guys.  If they do, they must tack on he 80% of retail tobacco tax + local 8.5% sales tax, effectively almost doubling the price of a cigar. :-(

My local B&M has a great website that most of you have not visited.  He also ships International.  You might want to check him out.  Great selection.  Customer service at the store is excellent, but I don't know how internet orders work with them.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/premiumcigars.html

Great selection and prices!
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Jackal

Quotenwb - 11/18/2011  3:53 PM

Arnold's is

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nwb

So Arnold's and Niceash/E-Gars/CAYP.  I'm on Arnold's email list, but their prices are not that great.  CAYP has fantastic prices - I wonder how they can sell so cheaply considering the tax burden?  I wonder if they have some sort of tax incentive working for them?

Either way, if I was determined to open an online cigar business, I would rather be located in a tobacco friendly state.  There aren't many on the west coast.
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.