July Contest is Alive!

Started by SenorPablo, 06/30/2007 11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenorPablo

So I took a snapshop of everyone's points.  We can track where we all stand using this link:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=points

Since this is the first one, we'll see how it goes and likely tweak the rules for the next one.

Oh and BTW, I'm currently in the lead!  :biggrin:  But I am not eligible  :cry:

Good luck everyone!
-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Anthony

Awesome!  Hopefully this will kick things up to a higher gear, and get more active posters!

(Now off to scheme up ways to earn points)
_____

mistagordo

Part of me is ok if posters stay down for the next month  :-0   Odds are better for me to take this thing.  Good luck everyone!

Steve

theoldcc

Good luck!  (But not too much  :rolleyes: )  It looks like Anthony will have a spot in the top 5 for sure.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

SenorPablo

Guys.  I know you have some submitted cigars to the database for points.  I'll work on getting them approved for points today.  I went out last night with a neighbor since the wife is out of town and got a bit hammered.  I'll catch up today.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

monteclaro

I just realised how bad I was doing in the contest.  Luckily I was able to find a few cigars that weren't already in the DB.  Now i'm back in the running.  :dancing:

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

theoldcc

We are just over 1 week into this and i'm sitting at number 2!  This is going to be like taking candy from a baby.  Hah!  Well at least being in the top 5 will.  How will the winner be chosen from the top 5?

*P
My Smokes

mistagordo

Don't count your chickens yet Pete!  I'm already planning what smokes to get with MY winnings.  I think we should choose the winner based on the member's name that begins with "mista".  

Steve

SenorPablo

It's a good question.  How do we choose the "random" winner from the top 5?  I've given this some thought and decided that it would be best to let something/someone neutral choose the winner.  2 thoughts that came to mind would be to choose a weather web site (i.e. weather.com) and a city (i.e. Vegas) and the winner would be chosen by the high temperature for that day.  

Another thought was maybe to pick a publicly traded cigar company and base the winner on the closing price for the day on that stock price.

So it would go like this:

Member 1 gets numbers 1 and 6
Member 2 gets numbers 2 and 7
Member 3 gets numbers 3 and 8
Member 4 gets numbers 4 and 9
Member 5 gets numbers 5 and 0

So if the high temp is 87 degrees then Member 2 would be the winner.  I like the temp better than the stock price since stocks can end in fractions.

What do you folks think?

-Paul

Anthony

The temperature thing works for me.  So it would be the person who's got the second digit of the temperature (as in your example)?

_____

SenorPablo

Exactly.  The second digit of the temp matches the winner.

tnt956

Stocks changed to decimal points a few years ago.  They can still run out past two though.

SenorPablo

I think we'll just pick a city and do the temp thing.  That seems easy enough.  Maybe we'll do Havana Cuba's high temp.  I just need to find a source that will tell us that stuff.  I don't really see it on weather.com.

-Paul

Anthony

just type "weather havana cuba" into google, and you'll get it  :-)

LINK
_____

SenorPablo

QuoteAnthony - 7/10/2007  10:35 PM

just type "weather havana cuba" into google, and you'll get it  :-)

LINK

The trick would be to be able to see what the high temp was for a previous day.  That's what i'm unable to find.  In other words, be able to provide a link that members could refer back to and see "proof" of a previous high temp.  Man I feel like this is just getting way overcomplicated.  Maybe we'll go back to a stock price.  You can always find that stuff.

-Paul

theoldcc

I tried to find a site that would show high temperatures for previous days and couldn't either.  Maybe picking a stock symbol would be the way to go.  But what stock?  

How about basing it on a powerball drawing?  Just another idea.  :confused:
My Smokes

Anthony

I think the only fair way to do it, is to forget the top 5, and just declare a winner right now!   I nominate....

.... me!  :shades:

J/k  :shy:  

If you want to do the weather in Havana, you could pull it up on Google and take a screenshot of it.  That would take care of the issue of not being able to look up the previous day's weather.
_____

SenorPablo

Ok folks.  We are half way through July now and the top 5 members have been pretty consistent throughout the month.  It would not take much to move yourself into the top 5 points lead in order to be eligible for this month's drawing of the $25 CI gift certificate.

We have had A LOT of new members over the last few weeks and for you to step up to the top 5 point leaders would not take much effort, but it does take some participation.

So come on folks, 2 weeks left!

-Paul

SenorPablo

Just a few days left on the contest and its the same top 5 members.  I guess people don't realize how easy it would be to be in the top 5.  Oh well their loss.

So I think I've decided that the easiest thing to do to draw a winner from the top 5 would be to do the Powerball thing.  We'll just base it on the last digit of the Powerball number.

-Paul

mistagordo

It still the usual suspects in the top 5 - unless a sleeper comes through in the end.

The Powerball thing seems easy enough.

Steve

Anthony

Hmmm:  "ERROR - Contest Not Found"  :confused:
_____

monteclaro

Me too.  Didn't get it before, but getting it now???

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

SenorPablo

Working on it.  It doesn't like the last day of the contest for some reason.

-Paul

Anthony

You broke the contest!?

_____

SenorPablo

Should be ok now.

-Paul

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.