Cigars for Troops - 2012

Started by nwb, 08/08/2012 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

3rd Annual Cigars for Troops Drive

It's that time of year again! Even though the holiday season is a few months away, starting early will give everyone who wants to participate time to send a care package. Here are the previous years' posts:

2011 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=9907.0
2010 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=5894.0

The basic rules:

*The cutoff will be October 31st for getting packages/donations in the mail to me. This will allow me enough time to get them shipped and the soldiers receive them before the holidays.
*Send as many cigars as you would like. Even a fiver will make a difference. My address is in my profile.
*Packages can be drop shipped to me from vendors.  Members have done this in years past with success.
*Please PM me if you send a package. I'd like to avoid boxes sitting on my doorstep in case I'm traveling.
*If you would prefer, a cash donation can be made to cover shipping. Last year the approximate cost was $80 to ship 3 large packages. I will keep everyone updated in case we have enough to cover shipping.
*I will keep a running list of those that have expressed interest along with if I received the package. If you commit to donating early on and decide it can't be done, no harm, no foul.

Last year, I created a virtual humidor with all the cigars. Depending on the response, I might do that again this year.

As always, feel free to post any questions!
Chief of Shaft

MT21

Count me in again Nathan.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

grabow66

If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

Shukpaw

Thanks for doing this again.  You know I will be sending some cigars for this.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

Hapcigar

I'm in.  Thanks for the lead notice.  September is a good month for me so expect shipment then.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

cocon

WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

nwb

Great initial response, folks!  Starting the list:

cocon
grabow66
Hapcigar
lubrix
MT21
Shukpaw
Chief of Shaft

akira

I'm in.  

I think this is the 4th year we've done this now.  The first year that we did it, it was a pass and I sent off all the cigars to the troops when it got back to me.  I like this way much better as it is more timely for the holidays.  Thanks for setting it up again.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

toby2

have you got any feedback from these? Steph and I sent out five boxes with smokes etc and we never heard peep back. just curious.

Jackal

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

mike.casey

Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

ThinBlueLine

I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

ThinBlueLine

Just realized I don't have 100 posts so I can't view your address...PM me if you want info on me...I have solid feedback from Wescat....I understand the rules though just trying to do my part...brother is Captain in USMC and send bombs often to him...
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

SenorPablo

I'm in again.  Thanks for running it again.  

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

sjn1117

im in by all means. anything for the guys and gals in harms way for me and mine.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

nwb

Quoteakira - 8/8/2012  6:01 PM
I think this is the 4th year we've done this now.  The first year that we did it, it was a pass and I sent off all the cigars to the troops when it got back to me.  I like this way much better as it is more timely for the holidays.  Thanks for setting it up again.

My bad, Mike, you are correct.
Chief of Shaft

nwb

Quotetoby2 - 8/8/2012  6:34 PM

have you got any feedback from these? Steph and I sent out five boxes with smokes etc and we never heard peep back. just curious.

In 2010, we received a nice letter from one of the groups we bombed.  They also included a flag that had been flown over their base (have the flag/specifics in a safe place).

Last year, we didn't receive anything.  However, I'm not too worried about it as long as we provide something for their efforts and being away during the holidays. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

nwb

Quoteswvalenti - 8/8/2012  9:12 PM

Just realized I don't have 100 posts so I can't view your address...PM me if you want info on me...I have solid feedback from Wescat....I understand the rules though just trying to do my part...brother is Captain in USMC and send bombs often to him...

PM sent.  Since I don't really have anything to lose in this, I sent you my addy.  Thank you for any contribution!
Chief of Shaft

nwb

Updated list:

akira
cocon
gitfiddl
grabow66
Hapcigar
Jackal
lubrix
mike.casey
MT21
SenorPablo
Shukpaw
Sjn1117
swvalenti
Chief of Shaft

sjn1117

hey, god bless the men and women backing the red white and blue. they deserve our respect and some damn fine smokes if nothing else.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

toby2

Quotenwb - 8/8/2012 9:54 PM
Quotetoby2 - 8/8/2012 6:34 PM have you got any feedback from these? Steph and I sent out five boxes with smokes etc and we never heard peep back. just curious.
In 2010, we received a nice letter from one of the groups we bombed. They also included a flag that had been flown over their base (have the flag/specifics in a safe place). Last year, we didn't receive anything. However, I'm not too worried about it as long as we provide something for their efforts and being away during the holidays. :biggrin:

don't get me wrong i was just asking. we sent some big damn boxes full of stuff and contact info etc. we heard they may not have gotten through so we were bummed out.

i will get something over to you. my lodge is mostly military and they do love a surprise when deployed.

Chrism305

I'm in. Will send stuff in October. Cigars only or cutters and lighters also?

nkowal

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.