Xikar V cutter review

Started by grabow66, 10/20/2012 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grabow66

Ok, I was always a little shy about trying a V cut for a few reasons.

1. Would the draw be restricted?

2. Would I get alot of black tar buildup?

3. Would burn and flavor be affected?

I broke down and ordered the Xikar V cutter after reading about Kens (Alphairion) recent success with his. I thout there is no way that this could  be as bad as the Shuriken cutter. Since this is a Xikar product, I expected nothing less than quality and it delivered! Overall the construction of this cutter is solid and not cheap feeling like the Xikar X8 cutter that I use on larger sticks. Xikar claims that this V cutter will cut up to a 64 rg cigar so I decided to put a large cigar to the test. I chose a 6x60 5 Vegas Gold out of my humi, lined it up the best I could and cut. THERE IS A LEARNING CURVE TO THIS. I was slightly off center but a cold draw suprisingly gave me promising result. After toasting the foot and taking my first draw, I was shocked. The draw was unaffected by the V cut. I had no burn issues, and nubbed it out with ease with no tar buildup. This just further proves to me that Xikar is the leader in the cigar accessory field. This is a high quality product that has made a believer out of me. Im not getting rid of my other Xikar cutters, but I will be keeping this V cutter on hand in my rotation. Two large thumbs up.
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

Hapcigar

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Ken Kelley

I've found in my limited research to date that if you line up the head by looking through the slot from the top and ensuring the cigar is perpendicular to the body of the cutter and use a slow, steady squeeze your chances of a centered cut are much higher. I think after several more iterations muscle memory will ease the process considerably.

I cut another Punch London Club today and the head stayed together much better than any other cutter I've ever tried.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

87North

Can't beat Xikar I don't think...
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

1sgjeffward

QuoteAlphairon - 10/20/2012  5:43 PM

I've found in my limited research to date that if you line up the head by looking through the slot from the top and ensuring the cigar is perpendicular to the body of the cutter and use a slow, steady squeeze your chances of a centered cut are much higher. I think after several more iterations muscle memory will ease the process considerably.

I cut another Punch London Club today and the head stayed together much better than any other cutter I've ever tried.

Been using the V cutter for quite awhile now and your right it does get to be second nature. Another little tip to use when your first starting is to put the tips of your thumbs together. You can still operate the cutter with them together and it keeps the cigar lined up correctly. Once your have you alignment down that nice quick clipping motion takes care of the small edges and gives you a perfectly smooth cut.
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

nkowal

Just did my first cut with mine the Other day. Going to have to work on getting it centered so thanks for the tips.

Longhorn

I have the same cutter and use it regularly. Scotch-proof cut.  :cigarman:

Ken Kelley

Quote1sgjeffward - 10/21/2012  12:12 AM

Another little tip to use when your first starting is to put the tips of your thumbs together.

You're making the dangerous assumption that everybody on this forum has opposable thumbs, Jeff!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

bmac7754

Ive been eyeballing that cutter and I think its time to get one.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

horrido

Love the V cutter and you could use it for a circumcision - thats what I heard anyways. :lmao:  :lmao:
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Smurf

Love this cutter its the only one I use now ,it works great on any cigar even torpedo's
orbis non sufficit

nirab

Quotehorrido - 10/21/2012  11:14 AM

Love the V cutter and you could use it for a circumcision - thats what I heard anyways. :lmao:  :lmao:

I think you would create a "two eyed" monster before a circumcision! I absolutely love my Xikar v cutter. 9.5 times out of 10, that is my cut of choice!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:  :crazy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.