New cigar name

Started by dvssn, 12/29/2012 09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvssn

Boy do I have a great idea (probably never herd that one before).  Really I have had this idea for a cigar for several years, but I'm not in the business, what am I gonna do with it. Anyway I thought I would throw it out to you guys see what you have to say. Obviously I will not disclose the name here, but selling cigars is about marketing, marketing is the look, the name, the image, the emotions, etc..., that's what sells. Oh, and of course the cigar must be good. I'm suprised no one has used this name before. I've been smoking cigars for 25+ years so I've seen em all and smoked em all. Marketing is the key and it starts with the name, the concept around the name and then it's the cigar. A great name with a great concept is worth alot. I believe I have it, what do I do with it?

Long Ashes
Long Ashes

lubrix

Give me the 'Name"!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

mike46

I don't think your idea that you came up with ..... "WHAT DO I DO WITH IT " .... is a very good name.  How about something like LONG ASHES instead?

Alexace

Long ashes is good with LA on the band.
J'fume des barreau de chaise a 60 piace la puff
-Leloup

cigarzinn

Trademark the name for future use...then if you see someone using it in the future, you can license the name and get some cash.

dvssn

Very good! I always enjoy good conversation with a thinking man.

Long Ashes
Long Ashes

dvssn

Cigarzinn, I like your suggestion, very simple.  Thank you

Long Ashes
Long Ashes

lowpro75

The cigar can have the best name and marketing in the world and I still wouldn't smoke  it if it is a POS.  There are so many names out there, some cool, some uncool, if the product is good the name means little.  People rag on Rocky Patel saying that he's just a marketer, but the fact is that he's made some pretty good cigars over the years to go along with his frequent misfires.  

Also, a trademark on a name is hard to enforce if you never make a product that uses it.  

But I've probably already taken this post more seriously than it was intended.  So if your name is "Chupa mi pito" or "Comepinga" its taken!  Plus I plan to add two ball of reserve tobacco by the foot. :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Ken Kelley

So you have a name for a cigar and you ask us what we think...and then you keep the name to yourself. Your last question in the post is...'what do I do with it?'

I agree with Rich...the first thing I notice about a cigar is if I like it. If I don't then the name means nothing...marketing means nothing...the only thing what matters is if the cigar is worth smoking.

"Chupa mi pito" ???
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

tvolball

I say you should trademark and then try to sell it
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

chief791

" I've been smoking cigars for 25+ years so I've seen em all and smoked em all." Have you really? Pretty bold statement.
"Well now I'm no hero, That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, Is beneath this dirty hood"
From Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry."

Buford T. Justice

lowpro75

QuoteAlphairon - 12/29/2012  5:28 PM

So you have a name for a cigar and you ask us what we think...and then you keep the name to yourself. Your last question in the post is...'what do I do with it?'

I agree with Rich...the first thing I notice about a cigar is if I like it. If I don't then the name means nothing...marketing means nothing...the only thing what matters is if the cigar is worth smoking.

"Chupa mi pito" ???

my Spanish isn't so good but I think it means "suck my d!ck", but for all I know it could mean "chop my rod."  Only a Spanish speaking hooker would know for sure but I would make sure to ask what it means before I requested it.   :-0
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nwb

Quotelowpro75 - 12/29/2012  8:59 PM

"Chupa mi pito" ???

my Spanish isn't so good but I think it means "suck my d!ck", but for all I know it could mean "chop my rod."  Only a Spanish speaking hooker would know for sure but I would make sure to ask what it means before I requested it.   :-0

:lmao:
Chief of Shaft

chief791

Quotenwb - 12/29/2012  9:09 PM  

"Chupa mi pito" ???

:lmao:

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  

"Well now I'm no hero, That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, Is beneath this dirty hood"
From Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry."

Buford T. Justice

mike46

OK, time to put this nonsense aside, we are going to have to start giving suggestions ourselves.  I submit CANINE MISSILE for the brand name, and then the various sizes could be something like Rotweiller Robusto, Terrier Toro, and Collie Corona, etc.  Smaller versions for a quick 10-minute smoke could be something like Poodle Pooh.  I'm sure some of you with more experience can do better than this, but it's a start.  

:angry:  :dancing:

BXgreenhorn

"Chupa mi pito" ???

:lmao:  :lmao: gotta love those spanish speaking hooker :cry: I still love you Lupita

cigarzinn

QuoteBXgreenhorn - 12/30/2012  9:55 AM

"Chupa mi pito" ???

:lmao:  :lmao: gotta love those spanish speaking hooker :cry: I still love you Lupita

Oh Lupita!!!  :shy:  :biggrin:  :shades:

toby2

QuoteBXgreenhorn - 12/30/2012  9:55 AM  

"Chupa mi pito" ???

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

dvssn

chief791

Yes your right, thanks for keeping me honest. I guess I was just trying to make the point that I am a serious cigar smoker.  But after 25+ I am still very much in love with the wheole thing.  I've had this cigar name in mind for almost as long as I have been smoking.  I actually did creat a cigar band using the name, at my wedding I passed out Chateau Fuentes' and replaced the bands with mine.  That was during the cigar boom, I even had business cards printed up, my company name was this "name" I am talking about.  I briefly tried my hand at selling cigars.  Long Ashes
Long Ashes

dvssn

lowpro75
I agree, I don't smoke a particular cigar because I like the name. Obviously I gotta like it and to buy a box I gotta love it. On this point I think we all agree. But the marketing is important, often it's the marketing that gets a guy to try a cigar. Example, Drew Estates - ACID, now that does not appeal to me but I'm an old fat guy who voted for Ronald Reagan. But I can guarantee you that that cigar is not being marketed to guys like me.  That cigar line is a big success, it has a particular name, a particular look, there is a particular attitude conveyed and..... after trying the cigar there are a hell of a lot of guys who likem and are buyingem. Everything starts with an idea; a good marketing idea to promote a good product. Take two boxes of your favorite cigar; leave one box as it comes from the manufacturer, take the other box and remove the bands and putem in a paper bag with no name. Side by side the cigar without the marketing will sell less.

Long Ashes low
Long Ashes

lowpro75

Quotedvssn - 12/30/2012  10:49 AM

lowpro75
I agree, I don't smoke a particular cigar because I like the name. Obviously I gotta like it and to buy a box I gotta love it. On this point I think we all agree. But the marketing is important, often it's the marketing that gets a guy to try a cigar. Example, Drew Estates - ACID, now that does not appeal to me but I'm an old fat guy who voted for Ronald Reagan. But I can guarantee you that that cigar is not being marketed to guys like me.  That cigar line is a big success, it has a particular name, a particular look, there is a particular attitude conveyed and..... after trying the cigar there are a hell of a lot of guys who likem and are buyingem. Everything starts with an idea; a good marketing idea to promote a good product. Take two boxes of your favorite cigar; leave one box as it comes from the manufacturer, take the other box and remove the bands and putem in a paper bag with no name. Side by side the cigar without the marketing will sell less.

Long Ashes low

Marketing is important, but marketing has to be placed in the context of the smoke.  A great marketing scheme won't make a damn bit of difference if the product sucks.  The acid line is aimed at smokers who start with Black and Milds and Cherry White Owls.  The ACID experience is an upgrade from that with better quality tobaccos.  The current marketing playbook for premium cigar smokers is to limit release (limited supply can increase demand and price point), get the product in the hands of influencers and let them spread the gospel of the new cigar.  DE and Tatuaje use this playbook.  They also know a good cigar from a bad one IMHO.  Other producers put out a mediocre product and try to put hype around it.  This gets regulars smokers to buy and try, if the product is mediocre that will be the last one most of us will buy, because there are a lot of brands out there.  So a combination of both marketing and a good product are important.  

Say you have the best name in the world, you have no product, no cigar maker will pay you for your name, they'll just make up another name.  There is no name in the world that drives cigar sales, brand can, but a brand is built through years and reputation, not from the name of one cigar.  

I'd be glad to see you prove me wrong.  I'm happy to tell all my friends that I was the guy who said this would never work and you made it work.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nwb

Quotelowpro75 - 12/30/2012  11:47 AM
I'd be glad to see you prove me wrong.  I'm happy to tell all my friends that I was the guy who said this would never work and you made it work.

I'd like to see you prove Rich wrong, too. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

BigTA

I like this one better,, Stogie Con carnie
Cheap sex, Cheap booze, Cheap cigars, Everybody loves a bargain.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=BigTA

dvssn

lowpro75
Very interesting what you say, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. Who are the "influencers"? OK, no argument from me the product is the most important thing; even if you sell a million the first year, if they suck, no more sales. First let me say this; anyone can say anything, one mans piss is another mans favorite beer, I could be a nut and "the name" could be Beer Nuts. But I'm not a nut and the name is not Beer Nuts. I am a serious business man and my first priority in this proposal is to pursue something that I passionately enjoy. Back to "the name". My opinion; if I sat down with 10 industry veterans and told them the name and the concept behind it I would have 10 people who are interested. I cannot find anywhere in the cigar business that this name has been used for any purpose, it has been overlooked but has always been there - in the business. It's a great name and the concept is so integrated with the name that it's hard to believe it has not been used. Businesses buy marketing all the time to sell their products, great marketing and a great product is a winning combination.  This discussion has been very helpful, the more I flesh this out the more I think I better trademark the name for starters. Then I can proceed.
Happy New Year - Long Ashes
Long Ashes

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.