Cigar Exchange - New life for Forgotten Smokes

Started by DogMan, 01/08/2013 01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogMan

Trade Your Dog Rockets For LP9s and Anejos!

Okay, not really, but I have an idea, and I would like your frank and tactless feedback (which I will no doubt get), as well as your participation if it sounds good.

I know I'm not the only one with cigars in my humidor that I just don't ever seem to reach for. So....

--- update 16 January ---

The Concept

Trade those cigars you won't get around to smoking, have overstocked, should never have bought (DevilSite), or just don't care for anymore - without the hassle of finding a trading partner and setting up a trade. Just send in your sticks to the exchange and get back sticks up the value of those you've sent in. Pay only actual postage by cash or check - not Paypal

The Humidor   The Directions 

Loren B Davis

BigTA

Interesting concept, I usualy just post what I have that I dont want and usualy there is someone to trade but your concept is intriging non the less.
Cheap sex, Cheap booze, Cheap cigars, Everybody loves a bargain.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=BigTA

tvolball

What if we just set up a cigar exchange list on the web site and if someone is interested they can PM that person with the sticks they want and work out a deal. I would think that would work out better then shipping them all over the place. Besides that, what BigTA said is true, most people just post what they have  and the price and they usually go pretty quick
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

lowpro75

It almost sounds like a perpetual virtual pass and a lot of trouble for the one running it.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nwb

The concept is a really good one, but.....  After running the Cigars for Troops effort, it takes a LOT of time and a LOT of space.  For instance, say someone sends you 20 cigars, but they are all different brands, vitolas, prices, etc.  Entering all that information in a virtual humidor, which you would almost have to do, takes more time than you think.  Then you have to find a good way to store them.  That doesn't even include the time it takes to package "buys" from members, get to the PO, etc.

However, I do like the idea of having a "virtual" exchange of sorts.  Maybe it could be incorporated into the humidor function, sort of like the previous smokes.  You can enter the cigar, your price, and any other information, click a button, and it gets moved to the exchange, which everyone can see. :confused:
Chief of Shaft

lubrix

I like the idea if you're up to the task.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Ken Kelley

Very interesting idea! Sounds like a lot of work for someone way more dedicated to that sort of thing than I am.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Foe

Yeah, it sounds great in theory...I'm having a helluva time with trading, i.e. not one successful trade in three years...so if the logistics of an exchange system can be overcome, I'm certainly all for it...

DogMan

Okay, two things:

the advantage I see versus just "Post and Trade" is that you don't have to find a trader that wants what you have and has what you want. Just send in your sticks, "buy" what you want from inventory

Yes, it would be work. Part of the work (entering the sticks into inventory) would have to done by the depositor. There would need to be an online inventory or virtual humidor. Picking and sending orders would be some trouble, but I would do it, at least for a trial phase of 6-12 months. Also willing to set up a separate coolidor.

- loren
Loren B Davis

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

CrazyK

It sounds like a nice idea, I like the idea of going to a central location to look at what is up on offer. How would you handle the shipping and handling costs? On a per order basis, or would it just be a flat fee you think?
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

lowpro75

Quotenwb - 1/8/2013  3:07 PM

The concept is a really good one, but.....  After running the Cigars for Troops effort, it takes a LOT of time and a LOT of space.  For instance, say someone sends you 20 cigars, but they are all different brands, vitolas, prices, etc.  Entering all that information in a virtual humidor, which you would almost have to do, takes more time than you think.  Then you have to find a good way to store them.  That doesn't even include the time it takes to package "buys" from members, get to the PO, etc.

However, I do like the idea of having a "virtual" exchange of sorts.  Maybe it could be incorporated into the humidor function, sort of like the previous smokes.  You can enter the cigar, your price, and any other information, click a button, and it gets moved to the exchange, which everyone can see. :confused:

I think a virtual bulletin board of available sticks might be more feasible.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

DogMan

re: virtual bulletin board - Essentially that's what this would be, but the big plus I would hope for is that you don't need to spend any additional $$ out of pocket except for postage

actual postage cost would have to be promptly reimbursed to the operator (me) but I don't anticipate any handling or other costs. it would be one first class usps fee even if there were ten cigars contributed by six different members - in a non central bulliten board scenario, postage for that becomes prohibitive.

- loren
Loren B Davis

wlfwalleye

While I believe your idea comes from the right place I can forsee way too many complications in something of this magnitude. What if someone sends in cigars
and then can't find anything he wants in the inventory, but the cigars he sent in were already taken? What if you have to work extra hours or you or a family member gets sick
and you have to take a break from the site for awhile?

I would suggest starting a thread where a member that wants to participate posts up a link for their (to trade) humidor and then you go through once a day and coppy all the links to a single post so they are always locked together on the front page.

DogMan

I do agree with waffleyes that there are some potential issues, however I think they can be addressed

The main things I was trying for, that you don't get with a virtual bulletin board or collection of posts or whatever you want to call it, are:

1.  ability to choose from all available inventory w/o the owner wanting your inventory in trade (kind of like money is easier than barter). Your stix are good for "eXchangeBucks" that are in turn good for any other stix

2.  cut postage costs to reasonable levels

3.  very small additional $$ out of pocket (just postage)

I was mostly envisioning this as a way for us all to have fun trading those sticks that aren't so valuable to us in an inexpensive and simple (for everyone but me) manner. I certainly didn't see it taking the place of trades for high end sticks (no one will be sending me 10 paul stulac skulls, probably) or a place to obtain exactly that specific stick you've always wanted to try.

yes, there may not be anything you are crazy about in the inventory, but hey, you sent in stuff you weren't crazy about either. yes, I may be on vacation for two weeks, but it's not a business and you won't run out of smokes before I get back. It's just a way to clear out some stuff you probably won't smoke and try something different.
Loren B Davis

Brlesq

QuoteDogMan - 1/8/2013  4:23 PM
yes, I may be on vacation for two weeks, but it's not a business and you won't run out of smokes

Yea, now I see what you're doing!  Getting Nate to send you his Pineapple White Owls so you can enjoy some Tropical-flavored smokes while poolside on vacation because you KNOW nobody will ever ask you to send those back out in trade!   :bright:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

BigTA

Almost all the trades I have been in have just been someone seiing something in my virtual humi and or the other way around and working out a trade, I think a virtual trade humidor would be nice, My last trade was with Wescat and it was from me just posting that I was looking for a paticular stick and he posted that he had some and he was able to find sticks he wanted in my humi and presto,
Cheap sex, Cheap booze, Cheap cigars, Everybody loves a bargain.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=BigTA

Vroomp

QuoteBrlesq - 1/8/2013  4:37 PM  
QuoteDogMan - 1/8/2013  4:23 PM yes, I may be on vacation for two weeks, but it's not a business and you won't run out of smokes
Yea, now I see what you're doing!  Getting Nate to send you his Pineapple White Owls so you can enjoy some Tropical-flavored smokes while poolside on vacation because you KNOW nobody will ever ask you to send those back out in trade!   :bright:

:lmao:  :lmao:  

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

BlackIrish

I like Nathan's idea.  Pablo's the humidor/database guru, but I think that you could add a field for each cigar listed in your humidor (just a checkbox needed, really) called "available for exchange?" or something like that, and perhaps another field for the offering price.  If it's possible to run a query across all of the humidors (not sure if the database is designed that way), you could generate a report of all the cigars that have that tag.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

junglepete

Interesting idea...if it was a virtual concept housed here on the site I would play. God knows I'd like to get rid of a bunch of 898 Robustos.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

nkowal

QuoteBlackIrish - 1/8/2013  5:18 PM

I like Nathan's idea.  Pablo's the humidor/database guru, but I think that you could add a field for each cigar listed in your humidor (just a checkbox needed, really) called "available for exchange?" or something like that, and perhaps another field for the offering price.  If it's possible to run a query across all of the humidors (not sure if the database is designed that way), you could generate a report of all the cigars that have that tag.

I like this idea. A "open to trade" checkbox would be a cool addition.

DogMan

Quotejunglepete - 1/8/2013  3:39 PM

Interesting idea...if it was a virtual concept housed here on the site I would play. God knows I'd like to get rid of a bunch of 898 Robustos.

I sense lots of hesitation, of course, as well as perceived issues (likely true), but not necessarily a clear appreciation of what could be the benefits.

Any virtual checkbox setup leaves the buyer/trader either paying cash or trying to orchestrate a traditional trade that is attractive to both parties. If sticks from more than one member are desired, it quickly becomes a clusterf#$k and a shipping headache. It could be a nice addition to the site to note which stick each member wants to trade, but logistically it is nearly identical to the current setup, where I can post some sticks for trade in the forum, wait for replies, see if I'm interested in what's offered. It's like the difference between selling your house and buying a new one vs. trying to trade your house with another homeowner's

so I guess what I'm looking for is this:

Is it worth it to send your cigars away (maybe to start just the ones you don't value so much) to trade for other sticks in an undetermined and changing inventory, in order to get

1.  no cash upfront trades
2.  larger selection to trade for
3.  ability to trade most of the sticks you want to be rid of
4.  ability to wait and see what comes in later if you don't use all your exchange credit immediately

if it's not, I won't run with it, but if it sounds like something folks would do, I can keep going

- loren
Loren B Davis

nwb

Hey, if you want to run with it, go for it!  It would be interesting to see how much participation you get, the logistics, etc.  Maybe run a trial?
Chief of Shaft

lowpro75

Yeah, stop talking about it, just do it.  Maybe I'll send you some crappy cigars to start your inventory.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.