my humidor and changing $ to €

Started by paahde, 01/17/2013 02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paahde

Hi!

I really like the function of My humidor! It's excellent! Since I live on the Euro zone, I'd like to price my cigs in euros instead of dollars. Would it even be technically possible to code the "Add cigar"-page such way that you could choose/name the currency you use in it?

junglepete

You will have to PM SenorPablo on that one.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

lowpro75

It might be easier if you just moved out of the Euro zone into the dollar zone.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nwb

Quotelowpro75 - 1/17/2013  4:03 PM

:lmao:

You and Bruce are being super helpful today.
Chief of Shaft

Brlesq

Quotelowpro75 - 1/17/2013  4:03 PM

:lmao:  :lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

paahde

Njaah, I rather stay where I don't have to hide my Cubans. ;)

Jackal

You could just ignore the unit of measure (pretend that the dollar signs are euro signs)

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

paahde

Yes Jackal. That´s what I will do... I just want to share help how to make forum more international...

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

BXgreenhorn

Quotepaahde - 1/18/2013  2:26 AM

Njaah, I rather stay where I don't have to hide my Cubans. ;)

:biggrin: that's one for the new guy

Django

To 'revive' this discussion:

I am not sure how many people look at prices paid, when browsing other members humidors. But it may be helpful (for price comparison) to be able to mention somewhere that € is the default for a certain humidor.
Maybe a description field (publicly readable obviously) for each humidor can be made available?

PS. Yes, I live in the Euro-zone  :angel:
PPS. No, atm I am not planning on moving from said zone to the dollar-zone :blech:

nwb

QuoteDjango - 6/24/2014  3:38 AM

I am not sure how many people look at prices paid, when browsing other members humidors. But it may be helpful (for price comparison) to be able to mention somewhere that € is the default for a certain humidor.
Maybe a description field (publicly readable obviously) for each humidor can be made available?

PPS. No, atm I am not planning on moving from said zone to the dollar-zone :blech:

You should send a PM to SenorPablo - it is going to require some code to be written.

And what's up with the  :blech: ?  You don't like 'Mericans?
Chief of Shaft

hebron

QuoteDjango - 6/24/2014  9:38 AM

I do not live in either the euro or dollar zone, so I want support for Norwegian Crown! Well, I'll manage, if I buy something in another currency I simply make a rough calculation to 'Murica money. Google will even allow you to do the calculations directly on the search page.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

tvolball

How about just adding the Euro price in comment section...sounds like an easy solution
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Django

Quotenwb - 6/23/2014  2:09 PM

And what's up with the  :blech: ?  You don't like 'Mericans?
Au contraire, I would love to move across the pond (to your side I mean). The job/financial uncertainty as well as the impact it will have on myself, friends and family inhibits me to do so.

Quotetvolball - 6/23/2014  3:22 PM

How about just adding the Euro price in comment section...sounds like an easy solution
Not really, (for the Euro-zonians that is), since I want to be able to easily add prices and don't want to recalculate everything. Also I don't really need the exact amount, but more of a price indication. Comparison is skewed when a smoke seems 1.36 times the actual Euro-price (or vice versa ofcourse). Just a quick general note saying whether a humidor is maintained using mostly Euro or USD prices will suffice for a decent (enough) comparison.

hebron

QuoteDjango - 6/24/2014  3:38 PM

Not really, (for the Euro-zonians that is), since I want to be able to easily add prices and don't want to recalculate everything. Also I don't really need the exact amount, but more of a price indication. Comparison is skewed when a smoke seems 1.36 times the actual Euro-price (or vice versa ofcourse). Just a quick general note saying whether a humidor is maintained using mostly Euro or USD prices will suffice for a decent (enough) comparison.
Use the name? Humidor name (€)
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Django

Quotehebron - 6/23/2014  4:00 PM

I don't think the humidor name shows when viewing other members' humidors? I could be mistaken though.

hebron

QuoteDjango - 6/24/2014  4:12 PM

Quotehebron - 6/23/2014  4:00 PM

I don't think the humidor name shows when viewing other members' humidors? I could be mistaken though.
No I think you are right...
- Thomas

SenorPablo

Admittedly, the site does not do a good job of localization for people outside the US.  I have been looking at fixing that and the price/currency is the first.  It gets tricky though because you then need to have the ability to convert currencies for member comparisons.  Certainly doable, but a bit of work.  Nonetheless it is "on the list", which is of considerable size at this point.  :-)

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

nwb

QuoteDjango - 6/24/2014  9:38 AM
Au contraire, I would love to move across the pond (to your side I mean). The job/financial uncertainty as well as the impact it will have on myself, friends and family inhibits me to do so.

That's understandable.

Thanks SenorPablo for the update!
Chief of Shaft

Kman

Not to intentionally muddy the waters or anything but one other consideration is that storing the price in your local currency could severely impact the "Average Price" calculation. If you're entering Yen or Turkish dollars as US Dollar, the average price that shows up on the cigar is going to be way off.

I'm not saying that should be a consideration of yours. Use the site and the database as you need. Just a point of reference for everyone.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

hebron

QuoteKman - 6/24/2014  7:01 PM

Not to intentionally muddy the waters or anything but one other consideration is that storing the price in your local currency could severely impact the "Average Price" calculation. If you're entering Yen or Turkish dollars as US Dollar, the average price that shows up on the cigar is going to be way off.

I'm not saying that should be a consideration of yours. Use the site and the database as you need. Just a point of reference for everyone.
I think the average member price is calculated from the price entered on the reviews, not in the virtual humidor. But, I could be wrong...
- Thomas

Longhorn

QuoteDjango - 6/24/2014  3:38 AM

9 posts to your credit and you've become a real pain in the a$$.  Sorry, I could only spell a$$ with dollar signs.  :biggrin:

Kman

QuoteLonghorn - 6/24/2014  2:08 PM  
QuoteDjango - 6/24/2014  3:38 AM  To 'revive' this discussion:  I am not sure how many people look at prices paid, when browsing other members humidors. But it may be helpful (for price comparison) to be able to mention somewhere that € is the default for a certain humidor.  Maybe a description field (publicly readable obviously) for each humidor can be made available?  PS. Yes, I live in the Euro-zone  :angel:  PPS. No, atm I am not planning on moving from said zone to the dollar-zone :blech:
9 posts to your credit and you've become a real pain in the a$$.  Sorry, I could only spell a$$ with dollar signs.  :biggrin:

:Lmao: Take a deep breath.... light a #9 and enjoy Brad. 

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

nwb

Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.