Thompson house brands/ exclusives

Started by lowpro75, 01/10/2009 12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpro75

I just got the new Thompson catalog and noticed that 50% of the cigars seem to be Thompson house brands or at least cigars I have never seen anywhere else.  Since their pricing on national brand cigars is way above the competition, I figure these cigars must be their bread and butter.  Anyone have a real good experience on Thompson brands? I see one good review on the VSOP(I've never seen this brand anywhere else, but it may not be a Thompson exclusive).  Anyone have any good things to say about Thompson house brands or exclusives?  

Always looking for a good deal.

Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Duker511

The first online purchase I made was a Thompsons aluminium carrying case and 30 cigars, I havent bought anything from them sinse. The cigars were not very good at all, they were all about the same, bland and tastless. I got 5 each of Don Lugo, the Corojo Cubano, the Empressario, Paso Doble, Bagatelle and Cuban Delights. Some of the cigars were damaged so I called them and three weeks later they sent me a fiver of Socorro, and a fiver of their green label house brand. All 40 of the cigars I recieved were dry, not brittle but dry and all smelled like cow manure. The only ones I would smoke again were the Socorro, Im not sure if they still make them but they were the best of what I tried, still not very good. The one thing I will say is that they were all made pretty good, I didnt have any problems with draw issues or burn issues, just flavor issues.

They do have tons of House Brands that they push out the door. Ive heard that the Tuskers are pretty OK but Ive never tried them.
Tim

lowpro75

I actually have tried the Tusker and it is decidedly average.  I have avoided VS blends since based on the experience.  The only purchase I made from them is was the One for the troops sampler that had 10 cigars for 20 bucks and free shipping.  That was in the summer.  One of them was a Tusker.  I had the same experience in terms of how dry the cigars were when they arrived.  I had to let them sit for a few months before they were smokeable.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

elmokfo

The VSOP review was mine.  At the time it was a good cigar but i was still kind of young in the hobby and had different tastes then.  Since then I've matured a bit and actually haven't smoked any in a while.  Still have a couple in my humi, perhaps i should puff on one and see.  I used to shop Thompson when i first started also and every once and a while I'll read something in a catalog and be curious but I usually stick with CI these days.

BlackIrish

I've smoked some Thompson house brands.  My advice is to avoid them.  None of them are high quality, and many are complete dog rockets.  

Just my $0.02.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

jmagg

I think this is one of the first things I ever read at CigarGeeks--> Thompson = DogRocket.
No standard, other than a man's own judgment, can be used to measure the greatness of a cigar; to each his own, own opinion and own cigar.-Mark Twain

texlewee

I've smoked several and didn't have much nice to say.

MY biggest issue was the BUGS that showed up in some. Thompson is the ONLY company I have gotten buggy cigars from.   SInce then, I dont care if they are selling Opux X half off. I can't and WON'T risk losing my cigars to bugs.  :-0
" The only thing better than a good cigar is ANOTHER good cigar. "

" What a pleasant stain comes from an enemy's blood.  "

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=texlewee

mattmancool34

woo thanks guys i was actually gonna buy a new humidor from there with there cigars in it but after seeing what you guys had to say ive decided that im not going to

BlackIrish

FWIW, I'd recommend you check out humidors at the following sites, which generally have good discounts:

www.cheaphumidors.com
www.bargainhumidors.com
www.cubancrafters.com

Cuban Crafters has some combo packages with some of their own sticks, some of which get ok reviews (Don Kiki, Cupido, etc.)

I've also got some good deals on humidors through CBid.

Good luck.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Bob Cordell

I've yet to have a Thompson brand that I really liked. The Empresario was ok I guess but nothing special. Very average at best!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

elmokfo

I'm sure there are some folks out there that will swear by the Thompson brand.  I just don't think any of them have found there way here.

Twinky

Ive never had any thing to do with Thompson brands, I thought about it before I heard all the bad press about them here. Thompson is a brand that Im tring to stay away from.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

jmagg

Quoteelmokfo - 1/11/2009  6:53 PM

I'm sure there are some folks out there that will swear by the Thompson brand.  I just don't think any of them have found there way here.

I don't know about that.  I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone have a positive comment concerning their cigars.  Now I have heard that their humidors are pretty decent, but that is all.
No standard, other than a man's own judgment, can be used to measure the greatness of a cigar; to each his own, own opinion and own cigar.-Mark Twain

podman28

I avoid all Thompson due to pricing and unsolicited phone calls to my home. If I want a cigar I will call and order it.

BlackIrish

Quotepodman28 - 1/12/2009  1:12 AM

I avoid all Thompson due to pricing and unsolicited phone calls to my home. If I want a cigar I will call and order it.

Yes, forgot to mention that their unsolicited sales calls are one of the real problems about doing business with them.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Sticks

I stay away from Thomsons just for the bug issue alone. If I had them in my humidors, I would be totally screwed.   With so many deals from some great resellers, I stick with the those in whom I trust.

lowpro75

Someone must be buying them. :confused: Seems like the consensus answer here is "Isn't me."
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Twinky

Quotelowpro75 - 1/12/2009  1:03 PM

Someone must be buying them. :confused: Seems like the consensus answer here is "Isn't me."

There are people out there who buy White Owl too. Its almost scarry what some people will smoke.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

mattmancool34

i smoked a white owl once thats all i needed

lowpro75

Did you really need to TRY the white owl to know it was a bad cigar?
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

mattmancool34

my friend bought it for me when i turned 18 yaaaaa made me wanna puke

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.