Duty Free shops on Canadian-US border

Started by realrover, 10/07/2013 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realrover

Hi,
I tried to find any decent duty free tobacco shop on the US side to bring stuff to Canada, but didn't succeed. Choice of cigars at some shops is really poor, many don't sell cigars at all. Does anybody have any recommendations? My wife travels to New York from Toronto and I'd like to ask her to buy some cigars and save...
Thank you.
realrover

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

sjn1117

Welcome.  That's a question for a fellow Canook or a Yankee. Texas is a long way from there.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Ken Kelley

Welcome to the Geeks!

Duty free stores? Don't expect to get anything free here in the US...unless you're a member of the Protected and Privileged Class!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

ljlemer

Ask Jungle Pete. If anyone knows, he does.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

junglepete

Forget Duty Free Shops...way over priced, poor selection. If your wife travels to NYC often and you know where she is staying, just purchase from online sites and have them delivered to her NY address.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Jackal

Buying in NY is not a good option, as their tobacco taxes rival those in Canada.  Buying/ getting them shipped in  from PA, FL TX or another of the low tobacco tax states is your best option.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Mojo66

Have to agree with the above advices, buy on line and have delivered in NY then bring back to Canada. It's legal and very cheap.  

While most DF shops I've been in don't even care about things like light exposure, temperatures and RH, I did on occasion find some relatively well maintained cigars in a few, but the selection is always a joke. You end up buying what they have instead of what you want and that's a shame, unless of course, you don't much care what you smoke.

You could also get sticks from your fellow geeks here. From box splits to purchases, there are many ways to build up your "collection" while having fun with a great and diversified bunch of geeks.  

BTW, welcome to CG.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Brlesq

QuoteJackal - 10/7/2013  7:11 PM

Buying in NY is not a good option, as their tobacco taxes rival those in Canada.  Buying/ getting them shipped in  from PA, FL TX or another of the low tobacco tax states is your best option.

As someone living in NY, I can attest to this.    Get a PO Box up in Plattsburgh or Buffalo.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

realrover

QuoteVroomp - 10/7/2013  3:31 PM

And welcome to the site!

Thank you! This site is awesome. I'm already using My Humidor feature and have bought Android app. They are very useful. Great job, guys.
realrover

realrover

QuoteKen Kelley - 10/7/2013  3:39 PM

Welcome to the Geeks!

Duty free stores? Don't expect to get anything free here in the US...unless you're a member of the Protected and Privileged Class!  :biggrin:

I know and don't expect anything free from this life. Just want to save shipping cost and taxes :). But thanks for friendly warning.
realrover

realrover

Quotejunglepete - 10/7/2013  4:06 PM

Forget Duty Free Shops...way over priced, poor selection. If your wife travels to NYC often and you know where she is staying, just purchase from online sites and have them delivered to her NY address.

Ye, I thought about it too. But she usually travels to NYC once in a life and will be there in couple of days for couple of days, so delivery might be late...
realrover

realrover

Thank you, folks, for your willing to help. I assumed that I'll get such answers... But had some hope. Yes I'm buying online in FL and TX and it costs much cheaper that here, in lovely Canada. Well, less troubles for my traveling woman.
Thank you for warm welcome!
Now I'm going to have a cigar... :)

realrover
realrover

nwb

Chief of Shaft

CrazyK

Welcome to the site from a fellow Canuck! PO Box option is the best in my mind. Most hotels will hold a package for you in advance of your stay, just call them to find out next time she heads down.
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.