Virtual Humidor (Previous Smokes) Suggestion

Started by Longhorn, 11/15/2013 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longhorn

Before I make a suggestion I'd like to acknowledge the online tool for tracking cigars on this site is the best I've seen.  Hat tip to Paul and the administrators.

Suggestion:  If it were possible to add the date a cigar was smoked (for the Previous Smokes VH), one could sort on this field for a chronological history of their consumption.  I currently record this in the notes field and can potentially sort this in Excel (this humidor does not yet download like the active humidors do).

I may be a little anal retentive about such things, but some of the joy I get from this hobby is tracking cigars and maintaining records of my hobby!  :-)

Jackal

The problem that I see is that I may smoke a box of cigars over a year or two.  Now that one entry for the 20 cigars has become 20 entries.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Ted

Maybe automatically append the notes section? Whenever I add notes to my previous smoke list, I always add "xxx days rest - " to the front, this way I can delineate notes based on each smoking experience.  It would be nice if the system did this automatically.  Just append something like "Smoked on 10/12/12 with 534 days rest" to the current notes.

Longhorn

QuoteJackal - 11/15/2013  7:10 PM

The problem that I see is that I may smoke a box of cigars over a year or two.  Now that one entry for the 20 cigars has become 20 entries.

Hmmm... perhaps make it optional to enter a "smoked" date.  Or smoke only one and send the rest to me!  :whistle:

Longhorn

QuoteTed - 11/15/2013  7:25 PM

Maybe automatically append the notes section? Whenever I add notes to my previous smoke list, I always add "xxx days rest - " to the front, this way I can delineate notes based on each smoking experience.  It would be nice if the system did this automatically.  Just append something like "Smoked on 10/12/12 with 534 days rest" to the current notes.

Good idea.  I do something similar and record the date in this format: YYYYMMDD -  20131115.  I use this data to calculate age, etc.

ThinBlueLine

I would like a traded button in addition to a previous smoke as well.
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

Mojo66

QuoteLonghorn - 11/15/2013  7:27 PM  
QuoteJackal - 11/15/2013  7:10 PM  The problem that I see is that I may smoke a box of cigars over a year or two.  Now that one entry for the 20 cigars has become 20 entries.
Hmmm... perhaps make it optional to enter a "smoked" date.  Or smoke only one and send the rest to me!  :whistle:

Then you smoke one and send the rest to me? :biggrin:  

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Longhorn

QuoteMojo66 - 11/15/2013  7:35 PM

QuoteLonghorn - 11/15/2013  7:27 PM  
QuoteJackal - 11/15/2013  7:10 PM  The problem that I see is that I may smoke a box of cigars over a year or two.  Now that one entry for the 20 cigars has become 20 entries.

Then you smoke one and send the rest to me? :biggrin:  

Yea, like a perpetual pass every time Jason buys a box of something!   :thumbsup:

tvolball

I agree. I have thought this for a while
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Mojo66

I agree, that would be a problem, the list could become quite large.

The actual "smoke one" button could still be used with some changes. The first time you use it for a specific cigar, it creates the cigar in the Previous Smoke table / field and lets you add a date and comment.

Then, all subsequent times you use the button for this specific cigar, it simply adds an entry and lets you enter date and comment for each smoked.

You'd still have a single entry for the cigar but many "sub entries" under it. The sub entries could be under a show/hide toggle so you could choose to expand or not.

I know it's much easier said (written) than done so i'll be quiet now.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.