Virtual HUMIDOR Question.......

Started by sticks2Ash, 11/18/2013 09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sticks2Ash

So iv had a few people ask me about mine since it shows zero.
Is there a major importance to this feature when it comes to trades etc or is this for more of personal preference and use?

I ask cause I have literally 2000 cigars, some I haven't seen in years and there's no way I have the time to dedicate to going and putting all these in.

Thanks for any insight
Please excuse my Bipolar.........

Mojo66

The VH is a great tool to let others know what you have up for trades or sales.  

It's also a nice way to let geeks know what you might wish (wish list) to try.  

But to each one his own, others use xls files or other tools. I guess it's not necessary to use the VH but I for one find it very useful.

But I have to admit it's hard to keep it up to date and my collection is not as big as yours.  Hope that helps any

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Joelala

I use it for personal use more than anything else. I would not worry to much about having it visible for trades, if you say you have a stick to trade we will take your word for it whether it is in your VH or not.
Joe

StogieDad

I use for personal use, but I think you are too far gone to update over 2000.  I keep mine up since I got it updated, but its just for my inventory.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

gitfiddl

Mine's just for personal use, namely tracking of age, which humidor they are in, and I sometimes list the source if they were a gift.  When I first started, I used to list the purchase price, but that got too confusing.  
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

LawDaddy

If you have certain cigars you wish to trade or sell, it might be useful to update your VH to show just those.

StogieDad

QuoteLawDaddy - 11/18/2013  12:56 PM

If you have certain cigars you wish to trade or sell, it might be useful to update your VH to show just those.

Nice idea!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Kman

QuoteStogieDad - 11/18/2013  12:59 PM  
QuoteLawDaddy - 11/18/2013  12:56 PM  If you have certain cigars you wish to trade or sell, it might be useful to update your VH to show just those.
Nice idea!

x2

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

gitfiddl

QuoteStogieDad - 11/18/2013  12:54 PM

I use for personal use, but I think you are too far gone to update over 2000.  I keep mine up since I got it updated, but its just for my inventory.

I used to be very persnickety about keeping mine updated.  Now, not so much.  The thread about Camacho cigars had me looking for a cigar this morning.  It wasn't in the humidor my VH said it was.  I looked in the travel humi I take to gigs, and it wasn't there either.  Looking for a lighter on my cluttered desk, I found the bands and the sticky I'd written notes on.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

sticks2Ash

All great advice, thanks guys! I think I will use for trades, selling as well as cigars I get in trades, buys, bombs, PIF etc
Thanks again!
Please excuse my Bipolar.........

jdwaynes1980

I started adding cigars months ago, got a couple listed, and said screw it, waste of my time, lol.

Roll Tide!

ThinBlueLine

I have my entire collection listed.  I have some OCD and like to know what my inventory looks like.  I think it's a great tool
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

gitfiddl

QuoteThinBlueLine - 11/18/2013  1:18 PM

I have my entire collection listed.  I have some OCD and like to know what my inventory looks like.  I think it's a great tool

It is great tool.  My only problem is keeping mine up to date.

CrazyK

Quotegitfiddl - 11/18/2013  1:29 PM

QuoteThinBlueLine - 11/18/2013  1:18 PM

It is great tool.  My only problem is keeping mine up to date.

Seriously!
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Jackal

I have a couple thousand sticks.  Without the VH, I wouldn't have a clue what I have.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

mike.casey

I have a large number of cigars as well... No VH.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

mpurtle01

I admit, I was really on it and really into tracking everything about my cigars.  I'd say the past 6 months I have severely neglected my cigar tracking.  It's way off.  I'd like to have more time to spend more time on it.  Wish list is fantastic though.  We have a lot of trades and passes and guys like to see cigars you're looking for.  When I am sending something to someone I always look at their wish list to see what I can give them that they want.

Ted

I'm about to roll over a thou, but I started my collection with under a hundred on the VH so it was easy to get started.  Keeping track of incoming is easy.  It's remember to adjust what I smoke/bomb that's the hard part!

Jackal

QuoteTed - 11/18/2013  12:37 PM

I'm about to roll over a thou, but I started my collection with under a hundred on the VH so it was easy to get started.  Keeping track of incoming is easy.  It's remember to adjust what I smoke/bomb that's the hard part!

That is how mine was.  I started my VH when I had less than 50 sticks.  You just need to remember to use the smoke one feature when pulling a stick.

whenever I travel, I make a new virtual humidor and transfer my traveling sticks into it.  That way at the end of a trip, it is easy to remember what you smoked.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

StogieDad

I found the mobile app is the best for me to keep track of smoked cigars,  I just hit smoked while I am smoking, then synchronize later and it catches it up.  I enter new stuff on the website, just because it always double adds if I do it from my phone.

I love that thing, so fun to dig through and see what you have, plus add the cool stuff you got!
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

gitfiddl

QuoteStogieDad - 11/18/2013  3:53 PM

I found the mobile app is the best for me to keep track of smoked cigars,  I just hit smoked while I am smoking, then synchronize later and it catches it up.  I enter new stuff on the website, just because it always double adds if I do it from my phone.

I love that thing, so fun to dig through and see what you have, plus add the cool stuff you got!

I might have to try that, since I finally got one of them iPhones.  I had been using one of these for a mobile phone:

StogieDad

Quotegitfiddl - 11/18/2013  4:09 PM

QuoteStogieDad - 11/18/2013  3:53 PM

I might have to try that, since I finally got one of them iPhones.  I had been using one of these for a mobile phone:

:lmao: :biggrin:
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

nwb

I'm one of those that is OCD about keeping mine up-to-date.  With all the trades, sales, etc. it makes it much easier.
Chief of Shaft

akira

These are some good ideas.  I really want to get mine updated, but I just haven't had the time to do it.  One of these days...
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

Ted

QuoteJackal - 11/18/2013  1:47 PM  
QuoteTed - 11/18/2013  12:37 PM  I'm about to roll over a thou, but I started my collection with under a hundred on the VH so it was easy to get started.  Keeping track of incoming is easy.  It's remember to adjust what I smoke/bomb that's the hard part!
That is how mine was.  I started my VH when I had less than 50 sticks.  You just need to remember to use the smoke one feature when pulling a stick.  whenever I travel, I make a new virtual humidor and transfer my traveling sticks into it.  That way at the end of a trip, it is easy to remember what you smoked.

I just use the mobile app for smoking when I'm out or traveling.  I'm usually packing the night before/morning of, so remembering to update my VH isn't likely to happen!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.