Geek Critique – Member Sponsor Badge

Started by kxthor911, 11/25/2013 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kxthor911

I know its up to Paul, but I was reading another thread awhile back that had this idea in it. I know Paul does not have the time to read every thread, so I thought I would put this out there. Maybe if it gets enough support Paul will ok it. I am sending him a PM with this thread in it. Please respond with your thoughts everyone. Good idea, or are a couple of us just being greedy? I think we should start in 2014, going backward might be to much work for the admins. Thanks everyone, long ashes.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

jdwaynes1980

Roll Tide!

kxthor911

Quotejdwaynes1980 - 11/25/2013  4:19 PM  You badge whore.  

Ok, anyone else with something valuable to bring to this conversation?  :dancing:  :-0 BOOM

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Ntxsage

Quotejdwaynes1980 - 11/25/2013  2:19 PM

You badge whore.

You called? :biggrin:
Did you know Stuart Scott almost made the Scripps National Spelling Bee as a child? Then the judges asked for skiing, but he only had one I. - acr

Jackal

Bronze/ gold/ silver would have to be something like 1/2/3 critiques, as there are only 24 a year and 12 are corporate sponsored.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

kxthor911

QuoteJackal - 11/25/2013  4:55 PM  Bronze/ gold/ silver would have to be something like 1/2/3 critiques, as there are only 24 a year and 12 are corporate sponsored.

Thanks for your response Jackal...what is your opinion on the matter? Do you see it being a hassle?  I agree with your thought on the 1-3.

Jackal

The main hassle is whether Senor Pablo has the time to do this.  I know that he has a lot of site improvements in queue, and it is a matter of prioritizing them.  Also, the badge list is pretty long, so that is a consideration, especially for our phone users, as it makes threads very long on their little screens.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

kxthor911

QuoteVroomp - 11/25/2013  5:15 PM  

Says the MOFO with like 20 badges.

Cigary

Badges or icons that tend to bring attention to members has been around for years....some like em and some don't really care.  The Forums I've seen that don't really care are those Forums that only care about content of the Cigar Forum itself....this being one of them.  For those who Administrate Cigar Forums they already have more than enough duties in their performance and I'd hate to add another item to an already overextended  workload...but if the Admins love it...who am I to complicate things?

kxthor911

QuoteCigary - 11/25/2013  5:48 PM  Badges or icons that tend to bring attention to members has been around for years....some like em and some don't really care.  The Forums I've seen that don't really care are those Forums that only care about content of the Cigar Forum itself....this being one of them.  For those who Administrate Cigar Forums they already have more than enough duties in their performance and I'd hate to add another item to an already overextended  workload...but if the Admins love it...who am I to complicate things?

I did not think about some people not liking the badges. I was more along the lines of thinking some people like the recognition. 

DonM

I see a badge being warranted for sponsoring a Geek Critique, but do see that tracking too many badges by the admins could become cumbersome. I would recommend Letting the ones who run things here make the ultimate decision

"The Curmudgeon"

kxthor911

QuoteDonM - 11/25/2013  6:00 PM  I see a badge being warranted for sponsoring a Geek Critique, but do see that tracking too many badges by the admins could become cumbersome. I would recommend Letting the ones who run things here make the ultimate decision

I'm all for that, was just asking publicly because I saw other places that there are people interested. Thats all.  :biggrin:  

Mojo66

Those badges are just as addictive to me as cigars are. But then I feel the same about bombs, trades, purchases, box splits, critiques, donations etc.

It's CG as a whole I'm addicted to but don't get me wrong, all I do I do cause I feel like doing it, badges or no badges. I love cigars and would treat others as I would want to be treated, no matter what.

Badges seem to me as a great incentive to have more geeks be more invested in the community and it takes nothing away to those who don't seek that public recognition. If more badges mean more knowledge, more participation, more Geekness, I'm all for it.

As for the extra work, I'm certain some geeks could pinch in. I'm sure we got many Sys Admins here that talk in PHP and dream of UNIX at night :biggrin:

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Ntxsage

I think we have enough badges. BUT if we did add it, I would rather see it more selective vs. easy money. Make the bronze 3 and go from there. That's what I like about that gold cigar reviewer and gold bomber badge....you aren't going to fall into one of those from just hanging out chewing the fat.
Did you know Stuart Scott almost made the Scripps National Spelling Bee as a child? Then the judges asked for skiing, but he only had one I. - acr

Mojo66

QuoteNtxsage - 11/25/2013  7:35 PM  I think we have enough badges. BUT if we did add it, I would rather see it more selective vs. easy money. Make the bronze 3 and go from there. That's what I like about that gold cigar reviewer and gold bomber badge....you aren't going to fall into one of those from just hanging out chewing the fat.

All for that, to be meaningful they need to be hard enough to obtain

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Longhorn

This thread would be ½ of a page if not all the badges... :biggrin:

kxthor911

ok ok ok, Nick's ideas suck. Point taken, thanks for playing.

jdwaynes1980

Roll Tide!

StogieDad

QuoteLonghorn - 11/25/2013  7:41 PM

:lmao:
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nwb

I'm not one that really looks for recognition, so the badges are in the background.  However, I know there are a lot of people that value them, and it tends to get people more involved.

As Jackal stated, it is ultimately up to Paul.  I know he has a laundry list of stuff he wants to do, so it is a matter of prioritization as well.
Chief of Shaft

DonM

QuoteLonghorn - 11/25/2013  7:41 PM

:lmao: I ams till scrolling through the reply's but then you have a few well earned badges yourself!

"The Curmudgeon"

gitfiddl

I can hear Cordell know:  "Where's my 'I like purty feet badge?'"
 :-0
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

SenorPablo

I don't think its a bad idea but not sure how much oppurtunities will present themselves since we have to limit how many we try and coordinate each year.  Just not a lot of chance for folks to build up their numbers.  I'll add it to the list of requests though.  Thanks for thinking about improvements anyway.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Ted

Quotegitfiddl - 11/25/2013  6:57 PM  I can hear Cordell know:  "Where's my 'I like purty feet badge?'"  :-0

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.