Site Problem Part Deux

Started by Ken Kelley, 12/02/2013 04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Kelley

It's BACK!  :biggrin:

Got this little message again this evening for almost an hour when I tried to sign in:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14'

The transaction log for database 'cigars' is full due to 'LOG_BACKUP'.

/community/includes/include.asp, line 2277

I don't know all the technical details or what any of this stuff means but it must be something going on in the mysterious reaches of the innerweb and the servers and the this and that. Maybe Paul can use the info to figure out what is going on.

And if all else fails, maybe we can contact the White House Obamacare IT experts and see how to fix things!  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Newbhunter

Me too when trying to look at a cigar in the database...

nwb

Yeah, it kept the site from loading for at least 30 minutes for me as well.
Chief of Shaft

toby2

I've been clocking a bunch lately. that healthcare.gov is sucking in all the bandwidth maybe?

tvolball

Havent really had a problem
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Bogglor

No need for the Obamacare IT expert, God knows you don't want him telling you anything.  

This, and most websites like it, are two part entities.  You have the web server / front end server which hosts all of the actual web pages and code which tells your computer how to display the site (the .HTML files or whatever language this site is written in) and then behind it you have the database, which stores all of the information contained in the site itself.  The error message above is from SQL, the database backend for the site and it's saying that the transaction log is full.  Every time someone does anything on the site -- writing a new message, adding or subtracting something from their humidors, almost anything really -- that's a transaction.  If the transaction log is full, it won't accept any new transactions until the existing ones have been written.  When a SQL database stops accepting transactions, the end result visible to the end user is basically what you see - a nasty error message.

Looks like the nightly maintenance plan was running and either a disk was out of space or their TLog settings need to be modified.  Either way, we're back up now!  :)

Brlesq

Sure has been tough to log on tonight!  Its on, then its off, rinse and repeat!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Ken Kelley

It just happened again for about 10 or 15 minutes right after I finished that last post and went to HOME to poke around some more.

Ken Kelley

QuoteBogglor - 12/2/2013  7:49 AM

No need for the Obamacare IT expert, God knows you don't want him telling you anything.  

This, and most websites like it, are two part entities.  You have the web server / front end server which hosts all of the actual web pages and code which tells your computer how to display the site (the .HTML files or whatever language this site is written in) and then behind it you have the database, which stores all of the information contained in the site itself.  The error message above is from SQL, the database backend for the site and it's saying that the transaction log is full.  Every time someone does anything on the site -- writing a new message, adding or subtracting something from their humidors, almost anything really -- that's a transaction.  If the transaction log is full, it won't accept any new transactions until the existing ones have been written.  When a SQL database stops accepting transactions, the end result visible to the end user is basically what you see - a nasty error message.

Looks like the nightly maintenance plan was running and either a disk was out of space or their TLog settings need to be modified.  Either way, we're back up now!  :)

My technology approach is a two part entity too....1) It works and 2) It don't work!  :biggrin:

The vast majority of the time this site works just fine.

junglepete

Yup...just got it again for a 10 minute lockout
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

tvolball

Scratch my above post. Just got locked out for about 10 min
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

gitfiddl

Maybe if we all sing along to this, they'll leave us alone.  
 :shades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ZGKBk8i5k

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

cavenbk

I just got locked out for about 30 minutes or so.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

lubrix

OMG Dave....That was just horrible!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

ntanner

Happened to me earlier too.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

nwb

Went down again.  Hopefully, Paul will be along to determine the culprit.
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

Ah! It's back again...haven't checked in a while.

SenorPablo

Got my server guys lookig into it.  Definitely seems like a problem with the DB server.  Made sure I have good backups in case this thing blows.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Bogglor

Tell those noobs to get their SQL maintenance plans in order! :)

1029henry

Quotetoby2 - 12/2/2013  4:30 PM

I've been clocking a bunch lately. that healthcare.gov is sucking.

There, fixed that for ya  :biggrin:
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Ken Kelley

QuoteSenorPablo - 12/2/2013  10:18 AM

Got my server guys lookig into it.  Definitely seems like a problem with the DB server.  Made sure I have good backups in case this thing blows.

-Paul

Paul,

We've said it before and we'll say it again....

You do a terrific job keeping this site going so all us Cooters can have a good time and we appreciate it very much. In fact, I think everyone who hangs around here on a regular basis should send you a couple of goats or a big batch of chickens as a token of appreciation but I suppose your neighbors might object.  :biggrin:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.