Round Robin VII - Winter 2014 Edition

Started by mike.casey, 01/23/2014 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike.casey

This is a thread generated automatically by the Cigar Pass system to discuss the Cigar Pass named 'Round Robin VII - Winter 2014 Edition'.

Use this link to return back to the Cigar Pass.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

mike.casey

Since I won RR VI, I asked Nathan if I could run the RR VII and dole out the prize.

This will be just like last year.

Details:

We will limit this to 20 Geeks initially, although I may allow more depending on interest.  The pass will be open for 2 weeks to join.  I will then assign each person a number and then draw numbers to match who sends to whom.  After I've closed the pass, each person has a week to send out their package.  Once all cigars have been received, then I will post a starting date for the reviews.

The three cigars you send should be unbanded & devoid of any identifying packaging. They should be labeled A,B,C (or 1,2,3, or I,II,III -- feel free to go crazy, but don't forget what they are!).  Send a range of cigars:  one 1-4 dollar cigar, one 4-8 dollar cigar, and an 8 plus dollar cigar.  For the purpose of this contest/pass and to be consistent with past Round Robins, we are going to use list prices of cigars (if you got a fantastic deal, use retail).  Your target spend should be in the 16-20 dollar range.  To make the pass a little more interesting, you will send 2 other cigars (making it a 5 cigar pass) that you think the recipient will enjoy.  The extra 2 cigars can be unbanded or banded, but make sure they are clearly labeled as extras.  Please make them respectable cigars!  The only budget cigar should be for the blind review.  Please identify which cigars are the extras, and here's why:

1 Point will be awarded to those who guess correctly which is the high cost, medium cost, and low cost cigar.

3 points will be awarded to those who can name the blender.  In the case where a person blends for another label (i.e. DPG for Tatuaje), you must correctly guess the blender.

5 points will be awarded to those who guess the cigar correctly.  You must correctly guess the vitola, not just the label/manufacturer.

The maximum point total is 18, in which case you correctly guessed the low, mid, and high priced cigars as well as the specific vitolas.  

The one with the most points will receive a premium 5-pack from me.  In the event of a tie, the person who reviewed all three cigars FIRST wins.

Post reviews in the thread as you smoke; there is no need to wait.  In the review, make your guess.  The reviews don't have to be anything fancy - simply something you would post into the reviews database will suffice.  After all three of your reviews are finished, the sender can reveal what the cigars were.

The cut off for all reviews will be April 30, 2014.

The honor system is in place, but if I find out that you were cheating by telling people what they smoked via PM, the prize will go to someone else.  Have fun.

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

mike.casey

Ron White

Vroomp

I'm game as long as Stephen isn't sending me cigars! :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

mike.casey

Great guys! Just use the Pass link to request to join.

Ron White

CrazyK

I'm definitely in! And this year, I promise I won't smoke my cigars early ;-)
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

LawDaddy

Looks like fun.  No way I win, but still looks like fun.

mike.casey

QuoteVroomp - 1/23/2014  12:42 PM

I'm game as long as Stephen isn't sending me cigars! :biggrin:

:lmao:

Ron White

Ken Kelley

I'm gonna get in on this too! I love this pass!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

The Burn Ward

mike.casey

QuoteCrazyK - 1/23/2014  12:49 PM

I'm definitely in! And this year, I promise I won't smoke my cigars early ;-)

:biggrin:  You and me both!

Ron White

conditionZero

I'd have better odds with the Billion Dollar March Madness Bracket.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Vroomp

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

Ken Kelley

QuoteconditionZero - 1/23/2014  2:53 AM

Oh, you might be surprised...then again, maybe not!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nirab

I'm in but...the geek I send em to better complete the review!! The geek I sent to last year went awol on us...I was a bit disappointed to say the least!  :angry:  :shy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Chrism305

While I was not the person to go AWOL on nirab, due to health reasons I did go AWOL on the pass and on alphairon. I have sent a request to join the pass but understand if there is someone out there who would prefer that I stayed on the sidelines. If that is the case I understand, otherwise I m happy to donate my cigars to the eventual winner.

sjn1117

QuoteVroomp - 1/23/2014  12:42 PM  I'm game as long as Stephen isn't sending me cigars! :biggrin:
I'm in! And please may I have Brad! 
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Vroomp

Quotesjn1117 - 1/23/2014  6:41 PM  
QuoteVroomp - 1/23/2014  12:42 PM  I'm game as long as Stephen isn't sending me cigars! :biggrin:

:lmao:  :lmao:  NO WAY!

johncw

QuoteconditionZero - 1/23/2014  1:53 PM

:word:

mike.casey

QuoteChrism305 - 1/23/2014  4:52 PM

While I was not the person to go AWOL on nirab, due to health reasons I did go AWOL on the pass and on alphairon. I have sent a request to join the pass but understand if there is someone out there who would prefer that I stayed on the sidelines. If that is the case I understand, otherwise I m happy to donate my cigars to the eventual winner.

No worries... As long as you send your cigars initially and then acknowledge if they got the reviews correct it's all good.

Ron White

sjn1117

QuoteVroomp - 1/23/2014  8:38 PM  

Quotesjn1117 - 1/23/2014  6:41 PM  

:lmao:  :lmao:  NO WAY!

come on brother! I may still have one of those vigilantes you love so much!

Thanks for letting me in Mike! 

why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

mike.casey

Come on guys, you don't have to be good... I won with 8 points last time!

Ron White

conditionZero

Well, if you don't have to be good then I may jump in.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.