Nicaraguan 90+ rated 2nds

Started by LawDaddy, 01/31/2014 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawDaddy

http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1670870

These in the database under another name?  I thought perhaps someone figured out who actually makes them at some point and entered it that way.

nwb

Although Jackal is the guru of the database (you might send him a PM), I'm not seeing them in the database.  They may not be there because they aren't an official "brand".
Chief of Shaft

LawDaddy

nwb

QuoteLawDaddy - 1/31/2014  3:36 PM

I notice that CI lists them as Oliva?

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/10587/nicaraguan-90-rated-2nds/

Since they aren't new, I'm surprised they aren't in the DB.  Jackal may have a reason for not allowing them, or they could have been overlooked.  Before anyone adds them, I'd touch base with Jackal to see if he's seen them submitted before.
Chief of Shaft

lubrix

I think those are under "Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced seconds".
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

LawDaddy

Quotelubrix - 1/31/2014  1:50 PM

I think those are under "Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced seconds".

Those are actually different:  http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/10588/nicaraguan-ligero-laced-2nds/

The Burn Ward

They are not in the database and should not be. There is no exact size to them and there is no definite blend. Every batch of those 2nds that come from "Oliva" will be of one of their many lines which posses different blends and wrappers. You're in theory, getting a different blend each time. Did I ever mention that I truly hate CI's descriptions of cigars? Because I truly hate them!

Jackal

We have stretched things a lot allowing some of the CI 90+ seconds (Alec Bradley, Oliva, etc), due to the fact that they are inconstant product lines.  The Nicaraguan seconds are completely different bundle to bundle in blend and in dimension, and thus have been consciously omitted from the database.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

LawDaddy

That makes sense.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Cigary

Every time I see these I start to bid ....then I realize that the story they tell to sell these is such a teaser....

"Once again, something hit our doorstep that was so good, we can't tell you where they came from. However, if you've had and tried the Nicaraguan 90+ Rated 2nds....then I suggest you bid on these with haste. They come from the same place, a premium Nicaraguan factory run by one of the industry's best cigar-making families and home to countless 90+ rated cigars, including Top 25 recipients. Need I say more?"

I'd love to see a solid review on these things.

Jackal

QuoteCigary - 1/31/2014  2:38 PM
I'd love to see a solid review on these things.

A solid review would be meaningless, as the next mazo could be a completely different blend.  In fact, I have heard that there can be significant variation even within a single mazo.

LawDaddy

They all look the same, and seem a little soft.  I'll let you know what I think in this thread, for what its worth.

Cigary

QuoteJackal - 1/31/2014  6:05 PM  
QuoteCigary - 1/31/2014  2:38 PM I'd love to see a solid review on these things.
A solid review would be meaningless, as the next mazo could be a completely different blend.  In fact, I have heard that there can be significant variation even within a single mazo.

Was afraid of that...no consistency means no purchase.  If it changes that much then it's just not going to catch on with serious buyers...it may snag those who think it's really something that it's not...something about there being a sucker born every minute...maybe P T Barnum was right????

LawDaddy

Yeah, I'm a sucker.  Whatever.  Its 20 bucks.

Jackal

QuoteLawDaddy - 1/31/2014  6:30 PM

Yeah, I'm a sucker.  Whatever.  Its 20 bucks.

That's the whole idea.  They are cheap, and are all still going to be somewhat similar, since they are Nicaraguan cigars from the same factory.  It's a grab bag without labels.

MikePA

I'm also a sucker for a deal... sometimes it works out and sometimes not. For that matter, I'm a sucker for buying a box after smoking a tasty single... sometimes it works out and sometimes not. :)  

There is something wonderful about finding a good deal. I suspect it's that I'm so accustomed to being economically abused that a bargain just tastes better.

I keep a bundle of inexpensive RP vintage 2nds around, mostly for guests but also because they are pretty consistently good for a mild/medium smoke when I'm in the mood for one. Sometimes I think they're more consistent than some of the RP branded ones I've bought.

DonM

QuoteMikePA - 2/1/2014  8:18 AM

I'm also a sucker for a deal... sometimes it works out and sometimes not. For that matter, I'm a sucker for buying a box after smoking a tasty single... sometimes it works out and sometimes not. :)  

I think all of us have at one point looked for that budget cigar, I have too.  I have found patience in internet shopping gets some respectable yard gars without going into the 2nd's category which is usually a disappointment in more cases than not

"The Curmudgeon"

MikePA

I'd rather pay full freight for something that I KNOW is going to be what I like than have a humi full of "meh". Learned that long ago. I still jump when I see a smoke I like at a great price.

StogieDad

I have considered seconds, but I always go back to scouring for deals.  Always find something on a great deal, especially with auctions.  But hey, no suckers here, everyone just trying to find a good smoke in your budget.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

sccrom1

have bought these several times. for about $1.50 a stick they in my opinion a hell of a deal. i know that the size and wrapper can be different from order to order, but again these are fairly high quality cigars at a very reasonable price.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.