CigarGeeks on Twitter

Started by nwb, 02/13/2014 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

After discussing with Paul and the other admins, we have decided to try and increase our presence on social media, specifically Twitter for now.  So going forward, I'll unofficially be running @CigarGeeks.

Please, give us a follow:

https://twitter.com/CigarGeeks/

In addition, for those that have a lot of followers or are active on Twitter, please retweet the following:

https://twitter.com/CigarGeeks/status/434062366947299328

Going forward, I'll be tweeting about Geek Critiques, popular topics on the forums, maybe contests (if they are open to everyone), etc.
Chief of Shaft

Vroomp

Hope your phone doesn't blow up!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Ken Kelley

I'm still a dinosaur when it comes to operating this fancy new fangled smart phone I've laid my hands on. How do I get into this Twitter thing so I can interact with the rest of you Twits?  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nwb

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/13/2014  4:03 PM

I'm still a dinosaur when it comes to operating this fancy new fangled smart phone I've laid my hands on. How do I get into this Twitter thing so I can interact with the rest of you Twits?  :biggrin:

Have you downloaded any Apps?  Go to Google Play Store -> Search for Twitter app -> Download App

At that point, you'll have to set up an account.  Once you set up your account, you can start following people, tweeting, etc.
Chief of Shaft

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

conditionZero

Maybe it's time to break down and join tweeter. I just figured out how to work the My Space page.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

benchjockey

I'm now a follower. I don't have much of a following, but at least I'm in.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

BewareDaPenguin

Nope sorry 2 say I don't twitter or Facebook closed all social media profiles and everything about 5-6 years ago, just 2 much of a hassle, etc. This is the 1st type of forum I've been on since then n it suits me just fine. It's about cigars and cigar related stuff, I don't wanna know about every time my 3rd cousin or best friends wife goes 2 the grocery store or what they made for dinner...but it's not a bad idea 4 this website and could possibly increase membership. Good luck w it! I'm gonna just stick 2 this site!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

nwb

QuoteconditionZero - 2/13/2014  4:29 PM

Maybe it's time to break down and join tweeter. I just figured out how to work the My Space page.

:lmao:

Now that is a blast from the past.  Does MySpace even exist anymore?
Chief of Shaft

conditionZero

Signed up and followed. I feel so hip right now.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

IndyGopher

Followed and RT!  I only use Twitter for contests, but I have a lot of followers.  Hope your venture pays off!

nwb

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 2/13/2014  4:55 PM
Nope sorry 2 say I don't twitter or Facebook closed all social media profiles and everything about 5-6 years ago...

The only thing I have now is my personal Twitter account, and even then, I only use it for cigar related stuff.  I get more news there than online, as the cigar community seems to use it more than traditional methods of communication.

My Facebook account was deleted a couple of years ago.
Chief of Shaft

nwb

Thanks everyone who has followed thus far!  Once we get a nice base, I'll probably host a contest to drive some additional following.
Chief of Shaft

IndyGopher

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 2/13/2014  4:55 PM

Nope sorry 2 say I don't twitter or Facebook closed all social media profiles and everything about 5-6 years ago, just 2 much of a hassle, etc. This is the 1st type of forum I've been on since then n it suits me just fine. It's about cigars and cigar related stuff, I don't wanna know about every time my 3rd cousin or best friends wife goes 2 the grocery store or what they made for dinner...but it's not a bad idea 4 this website and could possibly increase membership. Good luck w it! I'm gonna just stick 2 this site!

Oh, and Adam DOES have a fake FB and a Twitter I made for him to do contests and earn comps for our Vegas trips through FB games :-)  So yeah...

Jackal

I have no idea how Twitter works.  Can we access whatever the output is from the CG site?

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nwb

QuoteJackal - 2/13/2014  5:24 PM

I have no idea how Twitter works.  Can we access whatever the output is from the CG site?

SenorPablo would have to incorporate the Twitter feed into the website somehow.
Chief of Shaft

SenorPablo

Thanks for running this Nathan.  I grabbed the CigarGeeks name from twitter a long time ago just to keep it before someone else did.  But I really dont know anything about it.  Guess I should create my own account.  Maybe this will reinvigorate me to keep the facebook page fresh.  :-)

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

nwb

For those that need a rough primer on Twitter:

Basically, you create an account.  In the profile for the account, you tell a little about yourself, give a website if you have one, etc.  You can also link it to your Facebook account, although I've never done this since I never had both a Twitter and FB account at the same time.

From there, you can "follow" people, whether they be friends, corporations, non-profit orgs, really anything with a Twitter account.  When you follow that person, anytime they tweet a message, it shows up in your Twitter feed.  The feed is a timeline of messages from all the people you are following.

The flip side is also true.  If you write a tweet, then anyone who follows you will see your tweet under their Twitter feed.

The somewhat unique thing is Twitter is meant for short messages - 140 characters or less.
Chief of Shaft

Smurf

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/13/2014  4:03 PM

:lmao:
orbis non sufficit

ThinBlueLine

Only social media I have is Instagram and it'll stay that way, sorry!  I do however find a lot of useful cigar info on Instagram.
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

nwb

SenorPablo was kind enough to add a Follow Us on Twitter link on the bottom of the page.  Thanks!
Chief of Shaft

MT21

I had a twitter account already so I am now following CG. Before I knew it, now I'm being followed & I haven't done anything.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Ken Kelley

I don't really know what the !@#%$ I'm doing but I did manage to download the Twitter thing and get signed up. I got a message that asked "What's happening?" and asked if I was in Western Menifee County but I couldn't see who sent it. Sent a couple of Twits out to see what happened. Turned the phone off after that and I'll investigate this further tomorrow.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.