Humidor seasoning article

Started by hebron, 02/28/2014 08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

Noticed that there isn't a humidor seasoning article in the knowledge base. Thought I might write one, based on my recent experiences and have someone proof-read it. How would I go about that?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Jackal

You are a brave man, as you are tackling a controversial subject second only to whether to leave the cellophane on your cigars.

I have a half written article on this exact subject that has been festering on my hard drive for the last year.

Write up the article in Word or another universally accepted word editing program and contact SenorPablo.  He will give you an e-mail address to send the article to.  He can then upload it into our articles section.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Ken Kelley

Yup, this one might be a rough go! I think you will find that there are as many theories on how to go about this as there are fleas on a Ciudad Acuna street dog. I have my own ways to prepare humidors but not everyone wants to sacrifice that many virgins...and they are dang hard to find!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

hebron

I'll just jump in with both legs, here is what I have so far. I am open for criticism.

Note: There might be some spelling errors, english is not my first language. I'll proof-read when the content is complete.

Why?
The reason your humidor needs to be seasoned is to get it ready for use, meaning receiving cigars. When seasoning; the wood inside is saturated with moisture, so that it no longer is hygroscopic. Putting cigars in an un-seasoned humidor would cause it to steal humidity from the cigars, which is not the intended mode of operation.

When?
A humidor needs to be seasoned:
•   Before first use.
•   After a period of no or very limited use.
•   If the humidity cannot be maintained at a satisfying level.
Therefore, you might only need to season it once, or multiple times. Depending on how well it is maintained and how you use it.

How?
There are many ways to season a humidor, and how you do it boils down to personal preference. You will need:
•   An accurate hygrometer; these can be calibrated using the salt test.
•   Distilled or sterile water. In some countries distilled water can be hard to get. In that case, sterile water, found at drugstores, can be used instead.
•   A cloth or shallow dish.
•   Patience.
Empty your humidor before starting, zip-lock bags or Tupperware boxes makes acceptable temporary storage. Put a Boveda pack or similar humidifier in the bag or box to be on the safe side. Place somewhere dark.

Some prefer to wipe down the interior with distilled or sterile water; use a new cloth and make sure not to use too much water. The wood should only slightly change color. Another method is to put a shallow dish with distilled or sterile water in the humidor and let it set.

In both cases leave all trays, drawers, separators etc. made of wood in the humidor, so these get seasoned as well.

Make sure you have an accurate hygrometer, that can be trusted, inside. So you can monitor the progress. Leave the humidifier and close the humidor.

After 24 hours open and check the humidity levels, if you wiped it down you may need to redo this depending on the humidity. Or make sure what there still is water in the dish if you used that. Close and leave closed for another 24 hours.

Redo this until you are satisfied with the humidity level. If so remove the dish, if present. It is now important that the humidor stabilized before adding your cigars. This may take a few days. Check the humidity regularly.

When the humidor is stable and it's time to add your cigars, do so in batches. Adding them all at once might throw off the humidity levels again. Allow for the humidor to stabilize again before adding the next batch.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

tvolball

I agree that there are many different ideas about seasoning. I think each person just has learned what works best for there location and set up and stuck to it. However, I would go ahead with your theory and throw it out there. The worst that can happen is Rich will see it.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

DonM

I think you have the key points there.  One of the key variables is the humidification media used when seasoning a humidor.

"The Curmudgeon"

hebron

QuoteDonM - 3/1/2014  1:49 PM

I think you have the key points there.  One of the key variables is the humidification media used when seasoning a humidor.

Care to elaborate further? Anything I should add?
- Thomas

DonM

I was referring to the foam with PG/beads/kitty litter/Boveda which seem to be the most common.  Either way you go, you still have to season the humi!

"The Curmudgeon"

hebron

QuoteDonM - 3/1/2014  6:56 PM

I was referring to the foam with PG/beads/kitty litter/Boveda which seem to be the most common.  Either way you go, you still have to season the humi!

Do you think the article is complete? Should I sent it to Paul?
- Thomas

Longhorn

Quotehebron - 3/1/2014  8:50 AM

QuoteDonM - 3/1/2014  1:49 PM

Care to elaborate further? Anything I should add?

I applaud your efforts on this. As noted, this is not an easy topic to tackle.  What makes it tough are the number of variables. In general, what you wrote would work and for someone new to the hobby I think it would provide good guidance. You might want to preface it with a disclaimer stating that it provides general guidelines and then provide examples of other considerations.

When you wrote the article were you thinking about a desktop, walk-in, cabinet, or [fill in the blank] type humidor?  For example, I have a large cabinet humidor lined in solid spanish cedar.  I ran a Moist-n-Air in the empty cabinet for nearly 6 weeks (set at 70%) to allow the wood to slowly take up moisture before putting a stick into it.  I didn't want to wipe or spray as I didn't want the chance of having too much moisture introduced (I did this last summer when the ambient temps and humidity were higher).

Thanks for giving this a shot!  :-)

hebron

QuoteLonghorn - 3/1/2014  8:33 PM

I applaud your efforts on this. As noted, this is not an easy topic to tackle.  What makes it tough are the number of variables. In general, what you wrote would work and for someone new to the hobby I think it would provide good guidance. You might want to preface it with a disclaimer stating that it provides general guidelines and then provide examples of other considerations.

When you wrote the article were you thinking about a desktop, walk-in, cabinet, or [fill in the blank] type humidor?  For example, I have a large cabinet humidor lined in solid spanish cedar.  I ran a Moist-n-Air in the empty cabinet for nearly 6 weeks (set at 70%) to allow the wood to slowly take up moisture before putting a stick into it.  I didn't want to wipe or spray as I didn't want the chance of having too much moisture introduced (I did this last summer when the ambient temps and humidity were higher).

Thanks for giving this a shot!  :-)

Thank you for the kind words :-) I tried to write it as generic as I could, but yes, a disclaimer and some more considerations might do it some good. I was thinking of a desktop, I though I might add pictures from when I did it. That is a good point, it should specify that larger humidors will need longer time for both soaking and stabilizing. I am going to emphasize that the humidity levels should be used for guidance, not time.

I was also thinking that the article regarding hygrometer calibration could use some pictures. I had never tried it before, doing a trial run as we speak. It's one thing to read the steps, it's something else entirely to see it :-)

BTW; your humidor sounds awesome! :bigthumbs:
BTW2; i had a sneak peak at your pictures and man I am impressed! That lounge... I am speechless :drool:
- Thomas

hebron

New revision! Feedback is greatly appreciated  :cigarman:
- Thomas

hebron

Quotehebron - 3/2/2014  3:16 AM

No criticism received... So I presume it's perfect  :biggrin: I'll clean it up a bit, and send it to Paul for publishing.
- Thomas

gitfiddl

Quotehebron - 3/8/2014  4:13 AM

Quotehebron - 3/2/2014  3:16 AM

No criticism received... So I presume it's perfect  :biggrin: I'll clean it up a bit, and send it to Paul for publishing.

Looks okay to me.  It's like anything else. There's more than one way to have too many cooks in the kitchen...   :biggrin:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Longhorn

SenorPablo

Thanks for submitting this Thomas!  I think a lot of folks would find value in it.  This has been posted now under our Articles section.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=56

-Paul

Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

hebron

QuoteSenorPablo - 3/13/2014  4:04 PM

Thanks for submitting this Thomas!  I think a lot of folks would find value in it.  This has been posted now under our Articles section.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=56

-Paul

Glad to be of service to the community  :cigarman:
- Thomas

nwb

Thanks for the hard work.  Good job, noob! :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

bstessl

Quotenwb - 3/13/2014  11:19 AM

Thanks for the hard work.  Good job, noob! :biggrin:

x2
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

hebron

and  :thanx:
- Thomas

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.