A lot of work starting to pay off....

Started by PETE314, 03/08/2014 08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PETE314

Some of you may have noticed that my posting has dropped off over the past months. I haven't been attending the Google Herfs. I haven't been sending out my usual number of packages.  Well I wanted to share with all of you the reason. 

I had been meeting with a bunch of people on Monday nights for a herf during the summer. Starting in October, we decided to become an official organization.  So the Fair Trade Cigar Club was born.

Here in Ohio,  the smoking laws are much like many other states and are making it very difficult to have a public place to smoke.  We however, have worked towards acquiring a building for use as a Private Club.  We found a building to rent in a great location.  We spent a lot of time, money, and sweat to renovate the building for our needs.  So we made sure we had excellent ventilation, etc.  We worked hand in hand with the city passing all sorts of codes and concerns over the purpose of the club.  

In January, we officially opened our doors.  

The Fair Trade Cigar Club offers it's members a brick and mortar experience regardless of how their cigars were purchased.  We avail ourselves to the public through "guest" memberships at a small cost.  Our full members have 24/7 access to the building as well as on site cigar and beverage storage . Every Monday, we continue to have our "Cigar Nite" where we commonly have over 20 members herfing.  At the time of this posting we currently have 28 full members.  It is a GREAT community of people as you would expect from cigar smokers. 

As of last night I completed the first phase of our website.  There is much more to come on the website and if anyone is wondering (based on the cigar band contest)....Yes, I did design the logo, and I am the web designer.  Please come take a look at our site, learn a little bit about us, and if you are ever in the Cleveland area.....come visit us....

http://www.fairtradecigarclub.org/

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

PETE314

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

hebron

Wow! That sounds really awesome! Which we had something like that here...  :smoker:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

CrazyK

That is great! Next time I'm down that way I'll be sure to check it out!
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Vroomp

Sounds great Pete!  Good luck with it!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

PETE314

I also have it posted in the Cigar places section of the Board :thumbsup:

Cfickter

congratulations Pete, what a great idea.  I would be interested in seeing how you worked out the membership fees to cover all the costs.  Also all the other fees imposed, if any, on the club by the city.  Might be interested in doing the same here.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

PETE314

I would be glad to try and answer any questions I can...you can also try our "Contact Us" section on the website and send us an email.  Or simply send an email to info@fairtradecigarclub.org

I have heard several people mention they would like to try this...And to be honest, if successful, we haven't ruled out the option of expanding...LOL

gitfiddl

I still owe you for a couple logos...  :-(
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Ken Kelley

Great job, Pete! I'm sure it took a lot of sweat, blood, and tears and no end of tearing your hair out trying to wend through local gubmint bureaucracy hurdles.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

johncw

Sounds really awesome, great job. I hope everything goes successfully for you and the club.

Mojo66

Wow, that's just great. I'm sure all the time, sweaty and money invested are more than worth it. I can only imagine how cool it would be to have a private club where I could enjoy cigars and good cigar smokers company... I can only dream about it though.

How I wish we had something like that here but Canadian laws and Montreal bylaws would most definitely make sure something like that could not happen, no matter how much money and effort we'd put in.

We live in a society where smoking is demonized, I'd have less difficulty opening up a brothel :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

conditionZero

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

BewareDaPenguin

That is awesome! It looks great and know your hard work is paying off. Great job! You guys were highly motivated and it shows in the work! Congratulations on your successful launch!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

StogieDad

Sweet digs.  What a great idea!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Otter

QuotePETE314 - 3/8/2014  12:11 PM

I would be glad to try and answer any questions I can...you can also try our "Contact Us" section on the website and send us an email.  Or simply send an email to info@fairtradecigarclub.org

I have heard several people mention they would like to try this...And to be honest, if successful, we haven't ruled out the option of expanding...LOL

Franchise time ;-)
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Longhorn

Pete gave us a virtual tour last night on the herf and the place looks great.  Even a met of a few of the first members!

Good luck with the endeavor, Pete!  :thumbsup:

PETE314

Thanks for the props and well wishes!!! May be on my way up there in a few minutes....LOL

MT21

Very cool!  Major congrats on having a vision & bringing it to pass.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

sjn1117

Wow Pete!  That's impressive brother!
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

nirab

I'm gonna be picking your brain real soon Pete! I have visions of something similar out here on my dad's ranch. Congrats to y'all!!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

toby2

PETE314

Thanks again  guys...we really want this to be a successful venture.  It is not without it's challenges....As a non profit, we have to be careful about our finances.  While at the same time we need to have plenty of cash flow to cover our expenses, and debts,  we also need to not make too much money (yeah it sounds ridiculous....right).  Right now as we are just beginning, it hasn't been much of an issue, but as the word gets out we have to be careful and watch for any tax issues.  We still have some upgrades to the club we want to make.  When it warms up...the landlords are going to put in a mice big patio for us.  We are going to have our own garden, and we may even grow some tobacco in the front.  Lots of work done...lots of work to do...LOL!!!

Brian, like I said before...I will be glad to answer questions as best I can.  And if I can't....you can also reach us by email at info@fairtradecigarclub.org

nwb

Very impressive.  This is an idea that I see gaining popularity as more and more municipalities ban smoking.
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.