Copper Lined

Started by Samhain2000, 06/21/2009 10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samhain2000

What do you all think about the old style, copper lined humidors?
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

mountedshriner

I think the copper is probably worth more than the humidor! :-0
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Duker511

There must be a reason they did away with them!! I like the taste cedar gives the cigars anyways.  :biggrin:
Tim

nukbucko

hmmmm cigars that taste like pennies  :lmao:

Sorry havent seen them or know anything about them
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

Samhain2000

Heres some info I found:

Eric Lazarus -- Miami, FL (Eric@blazarus.com) at 09:54:06 PM EST on June 17, 1997:
I find and restore antique smoking stands from the Art Deco period. Almost every one that I have seen is inner lined with copper. I am removing the copper and replacing it with Spanish cedar. It holds the humidity level nice and my cigars age wonderfully. My question is, why copper? And also, should I be leaving it in and not replacing it with cedar?

James Pendergast -- New York, NY (Owner, J.C. Pendergast, Inc.) at 09:54:28 PM EST on June 17, 1997:
The period pieces that you are working with would probably be best suited with their copper or milk glass liners intact. During this manufacturing period, the adhesives that were available to cabinetmakers were typically horsehide glues. But horsehide glues were not effective in holding joints under high humidity levels--and so the early humidor case manufacturers lined their humidors with copper and milk glass. These materials were readily available at the time--and predated more modern materials, such as chrome and stainless steel, in metal working. The use of copper was adequate for cigar storage, because it was basically inert in flavoring the tobacco, and because it retained humidity quite effectively. I would assume that the period pieces you are restoring would retain their value and place in history if kept intact.

Antique humidors were often lined with a nonreactive metal (e.g. tin or copper) to protect against mold and mildew growth. The lining should not pose any problem for long-term aging of fine habanos; indeed, all cigars were aged in a similar manner by millions who possessed a desktop box before 1960. Just so long as it keeps good humidity and the lid seals well. I believe the metal liners pre-date porcelain or milk glass, which was more common in the 1950's and later.

I did not find a site that specifically talked about metal lined humidors but the above in was pretty good. I imagine if you get a few cedar trays you will still get the same effect and not have your cigars sitting directly on the copper.

nukbucko

I did not know that
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

Bob Cordell

I'm not sure I would try it with expensive cigars...bleecccchhh!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Jackal

One fact not so commonly known today is that copper is biostatic.  That is why it is traditionally used in doorknobs and on ship hulls.

That would make it a good lining surface for old humidors as it would prevent bacteria and mold from growing in the humidor.  In an era where humidity control, air conditioning  and disinfectant technology were in their infancy, cigars would have easily gone bad being stored in fluctuating temperature and humidity conditions.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Hot Stuff x

I think this guy (the restorer) has made the wrong decision in removing the copper liner from these antique humidors.  I'm sure it diminishes thier value greatly. 
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Samhain2000

I am going to look at one tomorrow. The Inner diameter is 8.5" W x 8.5" L x 6" H.

Craigs list: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fuo/1230476609.html

"Rustic and Classy"

Translation: Needs refinished.

He wants 49 for it, if I can talk him down to 35 - 40 I'll probably buy it. Then after it's redone, if I can get my hands on some cedar shelving I can use the cedar blocks  have to put 5 shelving levels on it.

Well see, it's probably a turd.

junglepete

hmm...I just learned something new. Thanks!
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

cmsevert

My favorite humidor is an antique with milk glass lining.  It is made of spanish cedar and the top and bottom is milk glass, the entire thing is wrapped in leather.  It's really a beautiful piece and holds humidity nicely.  I wouldn't give it up for anything, it's taken me a long time to find one with the milk glass intact and with no cracks.

Samhain2000

Quotecmsevert - 6/22/2009  11:08 AM

My favorite humidor is an antique with milk glass lining.  It is made of spanish cedar and the top and bottom is milk glass, the entire thing is wrapped in leather.  It's really a beautiful piece and holds humidity nicely.  I wouldn't give it up for anything, it's taken me a long time to find one with the milk glass intact and with no cracks.

How about a few pics of this fu#@er!

cmsevert

Just took some pics of my humidors, the pics are quite large files though so they are on photobucket.  Here is the link if anyone wants to check them out:

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd292/cmsevert/Humidors/

While I was at it I snapped a few of some of my pipes too:

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd292/cmsevert/Pipes/

Enjoy!

Samhain2000

Well this is a pisser. I drive down to pick up the humidor and pay the guy. I was already making plans to refinish it a much darker stain, cherry. I call the guy when I'm in his town and he decides it has too much sentimental value, deals off. What a dick, 45 min round trip so a poor humidor can sit in someones house and not do what the lord intended it to do, STORE CIGARS and keep them nice and fresh!!! I'll get over it.

Samhain2000

It all works out in the end. I landed an antique copper lined humidor on Ebay for 45 + 16 s&h, I'll need to stain it darker but other than that it's in great shape..
The flake who decided not to sell his humidor for sentimental reasons re listed it for 89.00.

cmsevert

that's one nice looking humidor / tobacco stand you have there.  If I had a place to put it I would like to have one of those myself

lowpro75

Well, I guess the sentimental value is exactly 44 dollars.  That looks like a nice one that you got yourself on Ebay.  How many does it say it holds?
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Jackal

That is really beautiful.  Sounds like you got a great deal on it.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.