Shipping of passes/container size

Started by gitfiddl, 05/06/2014 02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

I just thought I would put this out there.  Watch the size of the shipping container!  Most times, I use the DIY kiosk in the lobby of my local PO.  I'm not saying anything about the participants in line before me, but when I got the "Springtime Just for the Helluvit Pass", it was in a huge 15"x12"x10" box.  It would have cost me, according to the machine, over $45 to ship that box "2-day Priority" from me in Jacksonville, FL, to Kent in Amery, WI, based on the longest measurement of the package being over 12", even though the weight was only 3.5lbs.  As it was, I had a smaller box (the longest side being 12" on the nose) that both tupperware containers fit into with enough room for what I felt was adequate padding.  Shipping on that was $15.  Just something to consider.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

gitfiddl

Kent, just to ask, there weren't any issues with the box when you got it, were there?
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

05Venturer

None at all my friend, just fine :bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

johncw

Cfickter

Great advice, the last pass for me was a large box but it was early in the pass and I could see it coming in handy later.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bmac7754

That is some great advise.  I however recently had the reverse problem, the pass I started i thought had plenty of room, decent size box, but because of generous geeks it grew up to be a big box and a bigger container coming back.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

nirab

We ship out a ton of stuff at work, and dimensions will cost you just as much as weight.
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Rbrushaber

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Rbrushaber

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and courage of free me and women.  It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."  Ronald Reagan
This quote is as true today as it was when I first heard it in the 1980s and joined the USAF...

Vroomp

Good post Dave! I have noticed one measurement over 12" on a box is not too bad but, two puts it over the top sometimes!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

tvolball

I have also run into this on some passes. Great advice!
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

toby2

yup!

that and keeping direct routes.  I had to ship to Washington or something like that once from GA and it cost a few Jacksons. I did find out since then that UPS rapes you when shipping to a rural town. Click-N-Ship all the way now.

StogieDad

I keep boxes stashed from shipments when they are under 12 inches just for this reason.  It has become tough though, as generosity has caused some passes to explode and it just won't fit in a smaller box.  A pass usually costs me under $9 to ship, and I use stamps.com usually now because the USPS locked my account and I can't unlock without calling.  Don't have time to deal with hours of wait for that, so I just set up a stamps.com account.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Ken Kelley

Dave, you're pretty much right on here. There is a good reason why the suggestion has been made to keep the number of participants in the pass to a reasonable level...usually 12 or so. Everybody has fun but the guys at the end of the pass don't have to pay a fortune to move it on.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

gitfiddl

Quotetoby2 - 5/7/2014  7:51 AM

yup!

that and keeping direct routes.  I had to ship to Washington or something like that once from GA and it cost a few Jacksons. I did find out since then that UPS rapes you when shipping to a rural town. Click-N-Ship all the way now.

I use Mapquest to determine the shortest route.  Just enter the city/state for each participant and it will do the work.

benchjockey

Since I'm the offender here, I apologize to any of my fellow pass members I may have inconvenienced. My defense is that the cigars didn't fit even the largest USPS box. Trying to get the pass transitioned as quickly as possible, I chose a larger box I knew would do the job.  It cost me $9.90 to send the larger box. I didn't think my choice would mean the next member would have to use a similar size. I'm sorry for the inconvenience I caused.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

gitfiddl

Quotebenchjockey - 5/7/2014  8:58 AM

Since I'm the offender here, I apologize to any of my fellow pass members I may have inconvenienced. My defense is that the cigars didn't fit even the largest USPS box. Trying to get the pass transitioned as quickly as possible, I chose a larger box I knew would do the job.  It cost me $9.90 to send the larger box. I didn't think my choice would mean the next member would have to use a similar size. I'm sorry for the inconvenience I caused.

Nooooo!  There was no offense!  Dude, that wasn't what I was saying at all.  Please accept my apologies if it came of that way.  I was just trying to help everyone save some coin down the road.

benchjockey

Quotegitfiddl - 5/7/2014  9:02 AM  
Quotebenchjockey - 5/7/2014  8:58 AM  Since I'm the offender here, I apologize to any of my fellow pass members I may have inconvenienced. My defense is that the cigars didn't fit even the largest USPS box. Trying to get the pass transitioned as quickly as possible, I chose a larger box I knew would do the job.  It cost me $9.90 to send the larger box. I didn't think my choice would mean the next member would have to use a similar size. I'm sorry for the inconvenience I caused.
Nooooo!  There was no offense!  Dude, that wasn't what I was saying at all.  Please accept my apologies if it came of that way.  I was just trying to help everyone save some coin down the road.

If it would have cost me anything like $45 I would have spent more time looking for a smaller box. No apology is necessary.

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 5/6/2014  9:02 PM

Quotebenchjockey - 5/7/2014  8:58 AM

Barry, don't worry about it. Learn from the experience because all pass sponsors have been through episodes like this. There is ALWAYS a hitch in the road...including the rare occasion when the pass just disappears from the face of the earth along with all the cigars.  Ain't it fun?  :biggrin:

Dave didn't mean anything offensive unless he posted a picture of his little pole dancing buddy!
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

benchjockey

Yeah, Ken, this was my first pass and all my thinking was to get it transitioned. If it was going out of state I would have done it differently.
I did enjoy the pass, however!

nwb

Dave, you are being a little heavy handed here....

:biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

The Burn Ward

Quotenwb - 5/7/2014  1:23 PM

:lmao:

gitfiddl

Quotenwb - 5/7/2014  12:23 PM

:shy:

gitfiddl

I know I may sound like a whining beyotch   :cry: , but I discovered this evening that the maximum size that will fit in a USPS self-service kiosk drop off is 20-3/8? x 15? x 12?.  

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.