Some email (PM) tips

Started by bmac7754, 05/07/2014 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmac7754

Just wanted to throw this out there for some of our newer geeks.  When you PM another geek, you will see it lit up in your outbox until the other user reads it.  Unlike normal email, it's not stuck and you are doing nothing wrong.  I have had a couple guys ask me why it's not working, and recently had somebody sent me the same message 6 times. lol.  I am not making fun of you, just helping you out and I too did the same thing when I first got on here.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

hebron

Welcome to Brian's daily CG tips & tricks  :-)

This is useful for the news guys for sure  :thumbsup:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Cfickter

Quotehebron - 5/8/2014 1:31 AM Welcome to Brian's daily CG tips & tricks :-) This is useful for the news guys for sure :thumbsup:

Brought to you by White Owl Cigars, Now available in Kiwi!!

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Hot Stuff x

I'm waiting for the Durian White Owl to come out.  Oh wait, maybe the original White Owl is the durian flavor?  

(for those that don't know what a durian is, it is a fruit from Southeast Asia.   "Some people regard the durian as having a pleasantly sweet fragrance; others find the aroma overpowering and revolting. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. "    

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

toby2

I did the same thing.....

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

SenorPablo

I wonder if I just rename that to something like "Unread", if that would lessen the confusion?  "Sent" could also work, but it eventually disappears, so would that lead to confusion when compared to normal email "Sent".  I'm open to suggestions.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

bmac7754

QuoteSenorPablo - 5/8/2014  10:54 AM  I wonder if I just rename that to something like "Unread", if that would lessen the confusion?  "Sent" could also work, but it eventually disappears, so would that lead to confusion when compared to normal email "Sent".  I'm open to suggestions.  -Paul

I like that idea Paul 

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

hebron

QuoteSenorPablo - 5/8/2014  4:54 PM

I wonder if I just rename that to something like "Unread", if that would lessen the confusion?  "Sent" could also work, but it eventually disappears, so would that lead to confusion when compared to normal email "Sent".  I'm open to suggestions.

-Paul
Unread seems quite describing, you could also add a title to the URL to get a tool-tip explanation.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

scottvodka

I think unread would make it seem like incoming mail that has not been read. Perhaps the folder could be deleted and there could be a read/unread notification in the sent items? Don't know how feasible that is.

gitfiddl

Quotescottvodka - 5/8/2014  10:04 AM

I think unread would make it seem like incoming mail that has not been read.

That was my first thought as well.  How about "delivery pending"?
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Brlesq

Good idea, Paul.  How about "Out for Delivery"?
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

The Burn Ward

Whatever you decide, Paul. I think outbox is fine too.

hebron

For those familiar with BB forums the outbox term is well known. I think a URL title would do the job, Like this, hover your mouse here.
- Thomas

gitfiddl

Quotehebron - 5/8/2014  1:54 PM

For those familiar with BB forums the outbox term is well known. I think a URL title would do the job, Like this, hover your mouse here.

All the midget stripper forums do it that way, not that I would know...

:shades:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

hebron

Quotegitfiddl - 5/8/2014  9:12 PM

I just assumed that you ran all those sites...  :rolleyes:
- Thomas

gitfiddl

Quotehebron - 5/8/2014  4:29 PM

Quotegitfiddl - 5/8/2014  9:12 PM

I just assumed that you ran all those sites...  :rolleyes:

I may have been banned from most...
 :-0

nwb

QuoteBrlesq - 5/8/2014  1:25 PM

Good idea, Paul.  How about "Out for Delivery"?

I like this.  And you can rename the sent folder (for those that have already been read) "Delivered".
Chief of Shaft

SenorPablo

In the end , I opted to go with Thomas' solution.  When you hover over the outbox with your mouse, it will display a message.  I just wrestled too much with all the renaming and finding something that wouldn't still create some confusion.  Thanks for the suggestion Thomas!

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

nwb

QuoteSenorPablo - 5/8/2014  8:57 PM

In the end , I opted to go with Thomas' solution.  When you hover over the outbox with your mouse, it will display a message.  I just wrestled too much with all the renaming and finding something that wouldn't still create some confusion.  Thanks for the suggestion Thomas!

-Paul

Thanks Paul!
Chief of Shaft

hebron

QuoteSenorPablo - 5/9/2014  2:57 AM

-Paul
Happy to help Paul :thumbsup:
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.