Identify this Texas bug

Started by bmac7754, 07/21/2014 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmac7754

Friend of mine was driving in Texas this weekend and these things were hitting the car.  What is this?

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

tvolball

That's a dead bug brother! :biggrin:
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

StogieDad

Quotetvolball - 7/21/2014  12:04 PM

:lmao:
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

bmac7754

That's what I thought.  These thing are over a couple inches long.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

amigodecigars

I hope that it is not a Rocky Mountain locust. Back in July of 1875, there was a swarm about 1,800 miles long, 110 miles wide, from Canada down to Texas. Be careful bro.

In 1875, People said the locusts descended like a driving snow in winter. They  covered everything in their path. They sounded like thunder or a train  and blanketed the ground, nearly a foot deep. Trees bent over with the  weight of them. They ate nearly every living piece of vegetation in  their path. They ate harnesses off horses and the bark of trees,  curtains, clothing that was hung out on laundry lines. They chewed on  the handles of farm tools and fence posts and railings. Some farmers  tried to scare away the locusts by running into the swarm, and they had  their clothes eaten right off their bodies.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

nwb

Hard to tell from the picture, but maybe one of these?

Giant Mayfly

http://www.insectidentification.org/pictureviewer/insects-gallery.asp?identification=Giant-Mayfly
Chief of Shaft

Mojo66

Quotetvolball - 7/21/2014  12:04 PM  That's a dead bug brother! :biggrin:

That, it is!   :lmao:  

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

Vroomp

Someone needs to tell them they are a couple months late!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Brlesq

QuoteStogieDad - 7/21/2014  12:07 PM

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

gpd4

Might be time to dust off the flyrods in TX.  Look like a hex hatch...
My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

nirab

That is a Texas flea... :biggrin:  :shy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

nwb

Quotenirab - 7/21/2014  3:57 PM

Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

Looks like one of them Big Ass Texas grasshoppers that got a bit scrambled by colliding with the car.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Cfickter

Quotetvolball - 7/21/2014  1:04 PM  That's a dead bug brother! :biggrin:

X2 that was my first thought also 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bmac7754

Quotenirab - 7/21/2014  3:57 PM  That is a Texas flea... :biggrin:  :shy:

So it's safe to say you are not the Guru of Texas Bugs 

mpurtle01

I was gonna say mayfly until I read through.  That comes from fly fishing my friends.

nwb

Quotempurtle01 - 7/21/2014  7:18 PM
I was gonna say mayfly until I read through.  That comes from fly fishing my friends.

Google search, my friends. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

Quotenwb - 7/21/2014  7:32 AM

Quotempurtle01 - 7/21/2014  7:18 PM

Google search, my friends. :biggrin:

This is gonna take all night!  :biggrin:

Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Longhorn

Quotenirab - 7/21/2014  3:57 PM

:lmao:   :-0

McBryde

That looks like a good ole' piece of trotline bait! It's just a grasshopper! My parents live up around Weatherford, and they have hundreds of thousands of them this year.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

amigodecigars

"Big as all hell and half of Texas.  Looks like he would’a ate anything that don’t eat him first.  I hope to be kicked to death by grasshoppers if it ain't the truth."  
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

mike46

Reminds me of an old joke my dad used to tell ....

Q - What's the last thing that goes through a grasshoppers mind when he hits your windshield?
A - His a$$hole

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.