The Bomb Squad

Started by BlackIrish, 07/08/2009 11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackIrish

In the next few days, five of you will be conscripted into the Cigar Geeks Bomb Squad.  You will each receive a package in the mail with an unbanded cigar, and your responsibility will be to defuse the bomb, by smoking the cigar, posting a review, and giving your best analysis of the identity of the cigar.  After everyone has posted their review and analysis, I'll reveal the identity of the cigar.  The Geek(s) who guess correctly or make the best guesses will remain on the Bomb Squad for the next assignment.  I'll pick additional membes, in a completely arbitrary and capricious manner, to replace those who are less successful in disarming the bomb.

The cigars will be from brands or makers who are generally well known.  The cigars will have been selected for all sorts of arbitrary reasons.  I might think that they're particularly yummy but under the radar, and want to introduce you to them without the preconceptions that come with a band.  I might personally think that they're over-rated and want you to smoke them blind to get your honest view.  Or I might just have had five dog rockets lying around that I wanted to get rid of.   :shades:

I've posted this in the contest forum, but there's really no prize other than (1) a free cigar, (2) the opportunity for more free cigars, and (3) the esteem and/or ridicule of your fellow Geeks.  

Bomb Squad members, please report in when you receive your assignment.

(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

akira

This is an awesome idea and quite generous.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Bob Cordell

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Duker511

Looking forward to the reviews.......I love blind reviews!!  :biggrin:
Tim

podman28

I like the idea and look forward to seeing the results.

smoke 1

very cool idea indeed Eddie
-Brian

jomama20

great idea eddie! very nice of you as well.....

Samhain2000

You are super smart!
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

lowpro75

I think this is a worst idea ever, unless of course, I'm chosen, then it is a great idea.  :biggrin: So you're not going to tell us who the members are?  We have to wait until they get the package???
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

mattmancool34

red wire no blue its like lethal weapon but they never defuse it right

lightone

This a sweet idea.I think this one will carry on by others also.

WeLustPapes

Awesome idea!!

How did you get everyones address?  :confused:  :lmao:

mattmancool34

your address is shown when people click on your name if you added your address

Jackal

I am up for the challenge  :shades:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

BlackIrish

Quotelowpro75 - 7/8/2009  2:07 PM

I think this is a worst idea ever, unless of course, I'm chosen, then it is a great idea.  :biggrin: So you're not going to tell us who the members are?  We have to wait until they get the package???

Patience, Grasshopper.  A little suspense is good, don't you think?
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

BlackIrish

QuoteWeLustPapes - 7/8/2009  3:04 PM

Awesome idea!!

How did you get everyones address?  :confused:  :lmao:

You can make it available to members on your profile, or you can participate in a pass.  Or I guess you can send it to me by PM.  If I don't have your address, I can't draft you.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

BlackIrish

I might also note that selection for the bomb squad is based in part on active participation in the forums, quality of reviews, and, most importantly, my whim.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

gitfiddl

QuoteBlackIrish - 7/8/2009  5:11 PM

Patience, Grasshopper.  A little suspense is good, don't you think?

Wouldn't letting them know ahead of time take the "Bomb" aspect out of it?

Not that I would think I would be a candidate, but what time frame are we dealing with between receipt of the cigar, smoke, and guess?  I ask because I'm in and out of town with the kids for a week or so at a time.

Another thought to help of us with less experience, any thoughts about a multiple choice system?  "Is it cigar A, B, C. D. or E?"

And since you brought in the Grasshopper reference:  "When you can take the pebble from my hand, then you will be ready.  Now go...and don't die with a rope around your scrotum."

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

podman28

Multiple choice would take the blind out of the exercise. I think the reason to do it this way is to take away any preconceptions you might have about a particular cigar whether it be word of mouth or popularity. Also when doing this making it the first cigar of the day is appropriate as well. :shades:

mattmancool34

hmm i still say you send cigars that blow up

cmmayo

I like it.

I was more or less doing blind reviews of every cigar I smoked from the first bunch of cigars my friend sent to me three months ago (since I knew nothing of the world of cigars).

I reported back in an email after every cigar. Very interesting how the mind, when fettered by outside info, plays tricks on your senses.

It's kind of embarrassing to look back at my review of the (Thompson) La Condesa, no matter how inexperienced my palate was (and still is, I'm sure).

:shamebag:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

gitfiddl

Quotecmmayo - 7/8/2009  6:15 PM

I like it.

I was more or less doing blind reviews of every cigar I smoked from the first bunch of cigars my friend sent to me three months ago (since I knew nothing of the world of cigars).

I reported back in an email after every cigar. Very interesting how the mind, when fettered by outside info, plays tricks on your senses.

It's kind of embarrassing to look back at my review of the (Thompson) La Condesa, no matter how inexperienced my palate was (and still is, I'm sure).

:shamebag:

You said the "T-word". :-0  I've uttered it a few times and honestly, some of their stuff is decent and some are even good.  Ain't no reason to get embarrassed around here, my friend.  I found out in a hurry this is a very forgiving and understanding bunch of folks.  And there's always the "edit" button.

My suggestion about the multiple choice was only to help out those of us with less discerning palates.  I can tell a turd from a good cigar easily enough, but I'm not acquainted enough yet to be able to identify a cigar from taste alone.  I am, however, willing to learn. :biggrin:

Jackal

I just noticed that Eddie doesn't keep his online humidor open to public view.  Makes it tougher for us devious individuals who might have tried to peak at it to get an idea of what he has a bunch of and might be using on this pass .

:whistle:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

lowpro75

QuoteBlackIrish - 7/8/2009  5:19 PM

I might also note that selection for the bomb squad is based in part on active participation in the forums, quality of reviews, and, most importantly, my whim.
:bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow: I understand, my lord.   :bow:  :bow:  :bow:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.