For Newbies only

Started by s+j, 07/31/2014 11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s+j

This is a thread generated automatically by the Cigar Pass system to discuss the Cigar Pass named 'For Newbies only'.

Use this link to return back to the Cigar Pass.

05Venturer

Seems a little odd that a pass is trying to be started again by someone who has never even posted on the forum :confused:
Looking a bit strange :nono:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Vroomp

Maybe no forum posts but, a heck of a lot of reviews! :bigthumbs:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

05Venturer

QuoteVroomp - 8/1/2014  5:32 AM

Maybe no forum posts but, a heck of a lot of reviews! :bigthumbs:

50 in less than 2 months  :-0
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

Welcome to CG, Stefan!  Just a suggestion: You might want to list the initial cigars inside your pass so that others wanting to join can see what kind of cigars are expected.  When a pass is for newbs, it sometimes takes a little coaxing to get them to join and get their feet wet.

There isn't any problem with a non-poster sponsoring a pass.  All the risk is on him since he seeds it. I've said this before:  Not all members at CG want to participate in the forums.  In fact, there are many more that do NOT post than there are that post.  Our site offers lots of other membership advantages, such as the virtual humidor, the DB, cigar places, and passive knowledge from just reading posts.  Stefan has been here since last December and has contributed a lot to the site in other ways.  Let's be a bit more hospitable!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

nwb

QuoteBrlesq - 8/1/2014  7:36 AM
There isn't any problem with a non-poster sponsoring a pass.  All the risk is on him since he seeds it. I've said this before:  Not all members at CG want to participate in the forums.  In fact, there are many more that do NOT post than there are that post.  Our site offers lots of other membership advantages, such as the virtual humidor, the DB, cigar places, and passive knowledge from just reading posts.  Stefan has been here since last December and has contributed a lot to the site in other ways.  Let's be a bit more hospitable!

Thank you, Bruce!

This is the 3rd time that a person has generated a pass when they had very few to no posts.  Although I would suggest they all introduce themselves in the newbie forum, there shouldn't be any issues with them moderating a pass.  As Bruce noted, the risk is all on the moderator.

Good luck with the pass!  I have a newbie pass running now, but it will wrap up soon.  It is always good to have one going to build some credibility. :thumbsup:
Chief of Shaft

The Burn Ward

They took our jobs!

Remodelx15

I had been hesitant to get involved in the passes so I'm glad Stefan took the initiative to set one up.  He must read the forums even if he doesn't post since he invited me and knew I was a newb.  I'm sure it will be fun and I'll get my feet wet!
If you're not lucky, we can't use you.
- WW2 Submarine admiral

nwb

QuoteRemodelx15 - 8/1/2014  9:47 AM
I had been hesitant to get involved in the passes so I'm glad Stefan took the initiative to set one up.  He must read the forums even if he doesn't post since he invited me and knew I was a newb.  I'm sure it will be fun and I'll get my feet wet!

:thumbsup:
Chief of Shaft

johncw

QuoteRemodelx15 - 8/1/2014  8:47 AM

You have to some point!

CigarPlace

I'm game and was invited. In my opinion, little as it may count, the risk is all on him as he's seeding the cigars...

Stefan, as has been the case with other passes, if you route to us first, we're more than happy to add some goodies to the package for the pass members.

Joelala

It is always a good idea to throw in some newbie passes here and there. I loved it when I was new. Good luck on the pass, if you need any assistance just let us know.
Joe

05Venturer

QuoteBrlesq - 8/1/2014  6:36 AM

Welcome to CG, Stefan!  Just a suggestion: You might want to list the initial cigars inside your pass so that others wanting to join can see what kind of cigars are expected.  When a pass is for newbs, it sometimes takes a little coaxing to get them to join and get their feet wet.

I hope my comments weren't taken badly. I was merely stating what I saw. To me it was just a little strange to have someone who has never posted on the forum start a pass. (but then again I am occasionally pretty strange LOL)
Just hope it wasn't taken the wrong way.

Welcome Stephan!! :biggrin:
Kent

s+j

So many comments already -- thanks for the feedback everyone!

Regarding Kent's point, as strange as it may be, after being on this site for almost eight months I've finally remembered about the forums... honestly, until now I was only interested in making use of the site's database and review features to keep track of my personal smokes. Last night I came across a month-old message from DogMan (haven't been checking my Inbox either) reminding me to update my address for cigar bombs, so then I looked at my profile more carefully and discovered a link to the Cigar Pass lounge.

The invites I sent out were mostly to active members with a low number of total points as per the points contest page.

Jessica, I will consider it. Right now I'm thinking to route the package such that it is most eco-friendly. :-)

So please help me out with more info. I understand I should post a list of my seed cigars, but how exactly does this work? I imagine this like the telephone game, where you'd send a package to one person who then replaces a couple of sticks and forwards it to the next.

Gonna go now figure out my seed sticks.   ;-)

s+j

One more question: what kind of cigars do you folks gravitate towards? Personally I prefer medium-bodied sticks, and I haven't had too many Sun Growns I didn't like. I know many people like Maduros though so I'll certainly add some to the mix.

bstessl

Quotes+j - 8/1/2014  6:02 PM

So many comments already -- thanks for the feedback everyone!

Regarding Kent's point, as strange as it may be, after being on this site for almost eight months I've finally remembered about the forums... honestly, until now I was only interested in making use of the site's database and review features to keep track of my personal smokes. Last night I came across a month-old message from DogMan (haven't been checking my Inbox either) reminding me to update my address for cigar bombs, so then I looked at my profile more carefully and discovered a link to the Cigar Pass lounge.

So please help me out with more info. I understand I should post a list of my seed cigars, but how exactly does this work? I imagine this like the telephone game, where you'd send a package to one person who then replaces a couple of sticks and forwards it to the next.

Gonna go now figure out my seed sticks. :)

Welcome to the dark side! (forums)  Good luck with the pass!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Brlesq

Stefan, we also have a great "knowledge" database on the bottom right corner of the front page, full of great topics and information.  The one for Passes is here: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=15
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

s+j

Just what I thought, thanks for the link!

s+j

I've updated the cigar list -- check it out!

Chadboskie

I have my eye on one already! So then I can take one or two and then add the same amount back correct? Then do I update the cigar list?

s+j

Yep, that's the plan. I've actually updated the description of the Pass: "Feel free to exchange as many sticks as you want, but it would be nice if you'll take a mix to include some of the original sticks in the box."

Rammstein142

Woohoo can't wait for this pass to get rolling! :-) Got my eye on one if it survives all the way to me haha!
"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

s+j

I hope everyone's ok with my substituting of the Gurkha Master Select The Duke Figurado with the Gurkha Class Regent Toro.

Cheers,
Stefan

cigarzinn

Thanks for the invite. I'm going to pass on this one. I've done 2 passes back to back.  Time to start enjoying some of the loot :-D

Smurf

Enjoy have fun with this one
orbis non sufficit

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.