New to the Site (and bombing)

Started by ccubed33, 08/13/2014 07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccubed33

All,

I am new to this site and trying to figure out bombing and the bombing etiquette. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks
"Give a man a handshake, and he'll claim that he's met you. Give a man a cigar, and he'll call you friend for the rest of his life." -Unknown

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

tvolball

Welcome from North Georgia. If want to package up some cigars and send to me, I will critique your bombing etiquette :biggrin:
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

johncw

Welcome!...

Bombings are always welcome. They usually are a fiver but you can choose as many as you like as no one is going to complain about free cigars. Maybe try and see what the victim likes by looking at previous smokes or wish list. Price per stick is totally up to the bomber again no one is going to complain about free cigars.

Lastly it is frowned upon to request to be bombed. Plus you'll probably never live that down.

Don't bomb someone just expect to be bombed back. Though bombing can gain some nice street cred here on the site.

Hope this helps.

If you can't view someones address that you want to bomb you can probably PM someone to that info. Or go ahead and get enough posts in to get to the point.

nirab

Welcome from beeuutaful Buda, Texas!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:

I would suggest that you get involved, post on some threads, get to know some of us, and then randomly pick out a few geeks and blow their mailbox up! Instant geek street cred!!!  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

StogieDad

There is not a lot of etiquette to it brother.  Pick a target, and bombs away.  Great way to earn some cred around here.  Free cigars should never be complained about, so send what you like.  I like to send around smokes I like or want to share with fellow BOTL.  A fiver is usually the norm, but not a requirement.

As far as getting bombed, sit back and enjoy the show.  Once newbies establish they are going to hang around a bit, a veteran usually makes their welcome known.

If you feel the need, pick a target and take a swing!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Longhorn

Welcome! :cigarman:

Here's your "unofficial" :welcome: kit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Answers to frequently asked questions:

The vast number of aficionados on this forum leave the cellophane on their cigars. :smoker:

Many like a v-cut versus a straight cut, and many use kitty litter to stabilize the humidity in their humidors, but the Boveda humi-paks and Heartfelt beads are also well liked.

Xikar hygrometers (note the "g" and not a "d" in hygrometer) are frequently recommended on this forum. If you ask how to calibrate one, you'll get pointed to Google.

Lighters are all over the board with many opting for the cost effective Ronson butane jet lighters while others prefer Xikars, large table top lighters, cedar spills, matches, car lighters, blow torches, fire pits - pretty much anything that's on fire.

Any science related questions about relative humidity and temperature have been discussed ad nauseum.  But, if you feel the urge to ask, ignore what everyone posts except Jackal - he's the resident scientist. :respekt:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Insights into the Cigar Geeks Community:

Any thread that starts with "NSFW" gets tons of views during working hours.  :confused:

Don't post anything about ISOM's anywhere but the ISOM thread.  Otherwise, you'll get a bunch of nonsensical responses.  Cuban cigars are illegal in the U.S.  :shades:

Please resize your pictures before posting so you don't fire-up the curmudgeons on this site.  :hityou:

Speaking of size, when you print the photo template, make sure that you don't select "Fit to Page" when printing or the cigars will look like they are longer than they actually are - there's nothing worse than a picture of a Churchill that's actually a Robusto!  :hitme:  If you are not sure, check the ruler on the template against an actual ruler.

"Bombs" are not bombs, but gifts.  Some on here refer to them as "kisses".  Whatever you call them, it is not polite to broadcast you're sending them or solicit to be bombed.  :nono:  Doing the latter will subject you to a mailbox full of dog rockets and a lifetime of ridicule. :shamebag:  You are, however, encouraged to acknowledged being bombed and there's a thread for doing just that.

Hopefully, you like to see pictures of midget pole dancers - those pop up from time to time. :-0

If you have any questions about bugs or critters, let NWB know - he's our resident entomologist... whatever that is. :-)

Passes are generally off limits to new folks until you have a few posts under your belt or have a veteran vouch for you.  Same with selling, buying, or trading - you'll be expected to execute your end of the transaction first until you gain the confidence of some of the members.  If you plan to do any of this, best to get a PooPal account if you don't already have one.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi of the site is Señor Pablo - when he speaks, we listen.  :bow:

PIF's (Pay It Forward) are a great way to earn credibility here.  There are several threads devoted to them.  Just be sure to read the ground rules before jumping in or review the extensive threads to get an idea of what they're about or check out this article:  http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=57

If disagreements occur, the Gurus usually come through with sage advice - heed their warnings as they carry a lot of power (well, we let them think that anyway :whistle:).

Please consider joining CRA if you are not already a member - it gets you a cool badge that shows up under your name on posts. :thumbsup:  Another easy way to earn a badge is to support the "Cigars for Troops" event that usually occurs in the early Fall.  :usa:

Finally, welcome to our community - in the end, it's about the enjoyment of cigars and pipes, developing friendships with others who share common interests and passions, and enhancing your knowledge of our hobby!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:goodluck:

Jackal

I believe that you need 100 points to see people's addresses.  Until then, it will be difficult to bomb anyone.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

benchjockey

Lots of solid advice here. After 100 posts you gain access to the addresses of members.
It might be best to watch how things are done here, post, and make yourself known.
It doesn't take long to accumulate 100 posts.
Good things often happen here to people who display a bit of patience.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Newbhunter

Cfickter

Welcome from Pittsburgh, PA
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

sauraspop

Sammy - Semper Vigilis

Be carful what you wish for, You may get it! Ray Wylie Hubbard (Mother Blues)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. ~ Cliffy ~

sjn1117

Welcome from Texas.  Stick around a while and you'll get the hang of it.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

cavenbk

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

BewareDaPenguin

:welcome: and enjoy the site! Sounds like you are getting some good advise!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

17leaves

Brlesq

Quotejohncw - 8/13/2014  10:16 AM

Welcome!...

Bombings are always welcome. They usually are a fiver but you can choose as many as you like as no one is going to complain about free cigars. Maybe try and see what the victim likes by looking at previous smokes or wish list. Price per stick is totally up to the bomber again no one is going to complain about free cigars.

Lastly it is frowned upon to request to be bombed. Plus you'll probably never live that down.

Don't bomb someone just expect to be bombed back. Though bombing can gain some nice street cred here on the site.

Hope this helps.

If you can't view someones address that you want to bomb you can probably PM someone to that info. Or go ahead and get enough posts in to get to the point.

^^ That's a great summary right there.   :bigthumbs:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

The Burn Ward

Cigary

Quotetvolball - 8/13/2014  10:13 AM  Welcome from North Georgia. If want to package up some cigars and send to me, I will critique your bombing etiquette :biggrin:

Lol....I second this type of thing...two heads are better than one.  I will make a full report upon receipt of cigars and have a very professional letterhead that provides all info.  Remember...the more expensive the cigar the better report you will receive.  

05Venturer

:welcome: from NW WI

looks like John & Brad have summed it up for ya.

Enjoy :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

BlackIrish

(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

quickme

Welcome, Cigar forums are unlike any other forums out there.  total strangers ( that later become really good friends) send "bombs" or gifts to each other to share their experience.  Most of the etiquette has already been summarized BUT I will add a couple more.  Bombs are not to be recycled or re-gifted.  I send sticks that I enjoy or I think it will be in the BOTL's profile.   Bomb sticks are never to be sold, that's just classless.  Even if you bomb the person back, its not a trade.  I know that I haven't posted much but I'm more of a voyeur :)  There's a great bunch of BOTL/SOTL's on here and lots of great information.

SparklePony

QuoteCigary - 8/13/2014  2:14 PM

Quotetvolball - 8/13/2014  10:13 AM  Welcome from North Georgia. If want to package up some cigars and send to me, I will critique your bombing etiquette :biggrin:

Lol....I second this type of thing...two heads are better than one.  I will make a full report upon receipt of cigars and have a very professional letterhead that provides all info.  Remember...the more expensive the cigar the better report you will receive.  

Wait a second, wait a second...that sounds like shameless bribery. :-0

(Sounds like I'm in the right place!)

Welcome, from Massachusetts.
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.