Smoked in South Africa (pic heavy)...

Started by Ted, 08/25/2014 06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Hey all, back from my trip! Just wanted to share a bit. All these photos are from my phone. I took over 15k photos with my DSLR, but I haven't started actually looking at them. If I end up with 150+ that come out I'll be happy. Going to take a long time to go through them though. I may update the thread with some of my favorites later.

Anyway, the trip started where? In the TSA security line of course. I went through the TSA pre-check, but they were confused about whether my herfador needed an extra review. While waiting, I took a pic of the well dressed case in question (love that CG sticker). The feet are just a lucky coinceidence.

After a 16 hour flight, we were counting the seconds to landing...

After sleeping at a nearby hotel for 6 hours, we were back at the airport for a flight to Cape Town.

Luckily South Africa has a super s**tty chain of burger restaraunts at every airport and gas station in the country. Breakfast while waiting for our flight sucked. If ever here, avoid...

Drove to Knysna where we rented a house for 3 nights while we explored the area. Fantastic views, the house was located on a cliff top with a view of the Heads inlet. Beautiful area, will try to upload pics of the house (real estate is cheap as hell here, and renting vaction homes is cheaper than hotel rooms). Had my first cigar here (thanks Ntxsage!)...

Something wrong about this place...

Had one more cigar here, think it was a Casa Fuente. Here's a sexy shot, since I know the board loves feet! :-)

Drove back to Cape Town for 2 nights to explore the area...

Some absolutely stunning beach towns. Smoked my next couple of cigars with an ocean view as well...

Thanks to StogieDad for this one!

Next we flew back to Joburg and then drove up to a private reserve near Bella Bella called Mabalingwe. Had a blast here, and absolutely would stay again. Here's a shot of our cabin...

Was playing with HDR using my phone to automate over/under exposures on my DSLR. Here's a shot of the back deck where I enjoyed many fines cigars from several geeks...

Thank you TheBurnWard!

Thank you pyro92!

Thank you kxthor911!

Thank you nwb!

Dinner decided to stop by and say hello...

Here she is after cooking...

OK, so maybe that was a different kudu. :-)

The food here though was fantastic. They take they're grilling out to a whole different level here. Mostly wood fired cooking, so everything is slow. Almost every night we spent two hours by the fire drinking, smoking, and chatting while the coals got even enough to cook on. They have these awesome bacon twisters, which are basicly just massive strips of bacon, braided and then marinated in fruit and sugars. The apple one tasted like a bacon apple danish. Sounds weird, but was amazing...

After Mabalingwe, we drove into a little town called Hazyview right neat the Phabeni Gate to Kruger National Park. Spent a week here, every day inside the park.

Thank you kxthor911!

And a few pics of some of the other smokes I brought with me and enjoyed. First time smoking cigars outside the US for me.

Probably my favorite cigar pic...

And the very last cigars my son and I smoked before driving back to Joburg for our flight home...

Thanks again to this board and all the geeks firebombing each other! Was very cool to be in a foreign country, just relaxing with family and smoking cigars from some very cool people here.

hebron

Wow, that looks awesome!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

StogieDad

That looks like one helluva trip!  Thanks for sharing the pics, man I am jealous.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Kman

Awesome pics and looks like an amazing trip!! Looks sweet!!
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

mike.casey

Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

Joelala

Joe

ljlemer

You look like you're dangling from the Space Station in one of the pics. No pics of the local ladies or are you accompanied?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

nirab

Way cool! Thanks for sharing these, and look forward to seeing some more pics!!  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cfickter

What a great trip. I have been there a couple of times, unfortunately all on business and in fact I leave September 9th to go back there. I hope you tried the ostrich, the leanest meat you will find anywhere.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

tvolball

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

SenorPablo

Wow...stunning looking place to visit.  Thanks for sharing the awesome pics.  Makes me want to go there now.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Ted

Thanks guys, was an absolute blast. Other than airfare and gasoline, everything was super cheap.

And no pics of the local ladies (well maybe a couple ;-) ), but they were gorgeous! Lot of bow-legged Aussie and kiwi tourists as well. :-)

The locals were amazingly friendly, especially considering they're history over the last century. Felt very weird. The country is still trying to climb out of the apartheid economic imbalance, but the biggest problem I saw was that they have a massive labor force without enough work to go around. If they could just figure out some sort of industry or export they'd be a powerhouse.

Totally different way of life though. Very slow going in just about everything.

The Burn Ward

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Did you by chance look for any local B&M's or cigars?

Chip Lemaster

Thanks for sharing,, look forward to more of the photos when you get time,,,thanks again

Mojo66

Sounds and looks like you had a very nice trip, good for you Ted.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

quickme

amazing pics.  I love that you brought some bomb sticks with you and smoked them there.

benchjockey

Looks like a super trip, one  you'll remember forever.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

ntanner

Man, that look's like a great trip. Nice pic's, thanx for sharing.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

johncw

That is super awesome. Very Jealous.

Ted

We did do a cheetah walk while we were in the Plettenberg Bay area. There is a wild cat reserve that takes in injured animals, ex-pets, etc. They offer a 2 hour hike while they exercise the cheetahs every morning. Was a blast. Most of my pictures for this didn't turn out so hot, but here's one with my son at the end as we're waiting for them to open the pens up to return the cats. The cheetahs name is Nandi.

I will admit to being somewhat intimidated by this girl! She was absolutely beautiful, but it was kind of sad that they needed a place like this. Some people try raising wild cats and monkeys as pets, or the farmers constantly shoot/poison them. They release a lot of the animals, but some just wouldn't survive the wild.

CrazyK

CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

kxthor911

Great thread Ted, thank you for sharing sir. Also, it was nice of you to remember who sent what and give a brief shout out. I really hope you enjoyed your trip it looks like one for the ages. Long ashes brother.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

Ted

I did find a B&M in Cape Town, but just didn't have time to visit. We were amazingly busy for how little we actually did!

Ted

QuoteCfickter - 8/25/2014  8:24 AM  What a great trip. I have been there a couple of times, unfortunately all on business and in fact I leave September 9th to go back there. I hope you tried the ostrich, the leanest meat you will find anywhere.

Did try some ostrich biltong, along with many other meats. Some tasty, some...not do much!

Man, if I went over there on business, I'd make sure to stay over a few days every time.

nwb

That is truly awesome.  Glad it was a great trip - now I want to go!
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.