Cigars for the Troops Cigar Shop Idea

Started by ccubed33, 08/31/2014 10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccubed33

My buddy owns the cigar shop I help out at sometimes, and he has a box to put cigars in that then get sent to a platoon of SEALs. He has a childhood friend who became a SEAL and organizes the whole process. If anyone has a cigar shop or is friends with an owner this is a really awesome idea to have started up. Not only for the troops but for business.

Here's how it works:

Everyone who comes into his cigar lounge has to buy a cigar (limited number of seats and he has to make a profit to stay open...no brainer.) So if a guy comes in with his girl who doesn't smoke, he can buy a cigar for himself and one for the soldiers (to cover his girl.)

Also he giver 10% off on sticks for soldiers to encourage purchases.

There are sheets of paper next to the box to write messages to the soldiers. A very nice extra touch.

Cigar shops can send these wherever they like, Wounder Warrior Project, active soldiers they know personally, etc...

This has turned out to make for some very happy deployed warriors and some extra sales. A win-win for all involved. He just sent out a shipment the other day. I included the photo.

Has anyone every encountered this a cigar shop?? If so, do tell about it.

P.S. The cigar shop is called SMoKE - Manayunk. Just outside Center City Philadelphia in a historical district of the city called Manayunk. See the lounge description under cigar places if interested in stopping by and dropping off a smoke for some troops. Or let me know you're stopping in and we can meet and enjoy a herf together.
"Give a man a handshake, and he'll claim that he's met you. Give a man a cigar, and he'll call you friend for the rest of his life." -Unknown

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nwb

Very cool idea.  My local lounge (before they went out of business) did something very similar, and I've visited other shops that have the same program. :bigthumbs:
Chief of Shaft

Mojo66

Very good idea. Nice way to do business and help out at the same time
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

gpd4

Outlaw Cigars in KC does something similar.  You buy a cigar for the troops and they throw 2 more in.  I don't know how they choose where to sent them...
My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

johncw

dddddmorgan

I will mention this to my local proprietors, if they don't have an idea where to send the cigars I will be happy to give them Nate's address ;-)
Molon Labe!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.