Bomb Squad: Assignment No. 1

Started by BlackIrish, 07/13/2009 09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackIrish

Let's use this thread to post the first set of reviews.  Looking forward to reading them!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Bob Cordell

Alrighty then!!!!!!! I'm gonna have mine tonight and submit a review. I got mine Monday but had my daughter that night so I really didnt want to spend that time with a cigar instead of her and last night was garden night, not the best time to focus on a smoke but tonight...ITS ALL ME!!!!!!!!!

No girlfriend, nobody but ol' Bob! I love Wednesdays!!!!!!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

smoke 1

I am with Bob hopefully as soon as Jo gets home from work tonight its just me the garage, cable, and a wonderful looking cigar
-Brian

Bob Cordell

Okie-dokie, looks like I'm the lead batter. I was rather intrigued by the shape of this cigar. I've never had one with this exact shape before.

Pre-light: this cigar was fairly light in the hand, almost weightless. The draw was very open and tasted of earth and raisins. The clip was very clean with maybe just a slight crack about a 1/4 of an inch long.

17 out of 20 points possible

Light and burn: This cigar lit very easily, it took to a flame like a fish to water. It burned very straight with no corrections needed other than wetting the aforementioned crack at the head. The draw was very generous, which I really dig but burned very cool and slow in spite of the open draw.  I didnt have to correct the burn at all.

15 out of 15 possible

Construction: It appeared to be very well rolled and fairly smooth with only slight veins. I did have to spit glue the small crack at the head every 3rd or 4th draw to keep it under control but the crack did not spread at all. The ash was a silvery-white and held well and burned straight as a arrow. The shape as I mentioned before was different than any cigar I have had before. It was slightly oval at the head but was almost "flat pressed" at the end...very odd  

25 out of 30 possible

Flavor: I really liked the flavor of this cigar, it was mild but tasty at the same time. The initial flavor was peppery and earthy. It soon picked up a nutty and sweet flavor about a half inch in. Towards the middle the flavor seemed to pick up a spicier note with the sweetness more pronounced. At the last half I had to slow down on the draw so it wouldnt overheat and get bitter because I was diggin' the flavors. It developed an almost caramel-mocha flavor edge that I liked. It remained very mild to the end but very flavorful as well. I nubbed this one out, maybe smoked it down too small till it got bitter.

30 out of 35 possible

Summary: Me Likey! I found myself staring the the unique shape much the same way you would a attractive woman with exotic features you strike up a conversation with at a bar. The flat press at the end was a different experience for me. It was darker with a maduro, maybe Sumatra wrapper...?????????? I really liked this cigar and would keep them in my humi. Could this be a FLD? I know they have some funky shapes. It was like a No.2 with a flat press towards the end, I think El Rey has a "bugle" shape as well...

OVERALL SCORE: 87

Thanks Eddie!!!!!!!!

BlackIrish

Great review, Bob!  Thanks for taking the time, and I'm glad you liked it.  Stay tuned for the answer to your questions . . .
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

nukbucko

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

nukbucko

DOOR NUMBER 2
Game show host Eddie fits you
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

podman28

Oh oh oh I think I have a good guess on this one.  :shades:

Bob Cordell

PM me and tell me so I look real sharp!!!!

Oh no, I said that out loud!

:mad:

podman28

Sorry I was already told that I am wrong but then again I haven't seen or smoked the cigar. Maybe if someone could post pictures of the cigars? I would be interested in seeing what they look like.

Bob Cordell

mountedshriner

I have been gone for several days and my wonderful wife placed my bomb in the humi w/o any instruction. What a gal! When I returned home it was waiting for me, so here goes. I used BC's format so we would have some uniformity.

Pre-light: The aroma was tobacco, a hint of cinnamon and just the slightest coffee smell. Not a hefty cigar but absolutely a beautiful stick none the less.

18 out of 20 points possible

Light and burn: This cigar took off like a roman candle. Very little toasting produced a bright red ash almost instantly. The draw was very smooth and easy and the burn was perfect throughout. It held an incredible gray white ash and when ashed, the burn was very conical and well centered.

15 of 15 points possible

Construction: The cigar spinner who put this baby together knew his trade well. The construction was absolutely flawless with no noticeable flaws. I guillotined the cap and it cut like hard butter, perfect separation. At no point during the smoking process did the cut cap ever unwind. My description for this cigar would be a small torpedo.

28 of 30 points possible

Flavor: What a treat. Initially I got a cinnamon and semi sweet dark chocolate taste that lingered for about the first inch. Then the mocha/sweet tobacco flavors chimed in and continued for the first half of the smoke. The mocha was almost buttery in taste and was just exquisite. The second half morphed into an espresso flavor that was very rich without being overwhelming. I also detected a miniscule vanilla flavor coupled with the espresso. The last third of this smoke got quite interesting. There was a prominent spicy taste coupled with just a hint of white pepper and caramel. What was so nice about this combo was that there was absolutely no tongue bite involved, just a spicy caramel/espresso taste that lingered on the palate.

33 of 35 points possible

TOTAL POINTS: 94

I love this cigar. I want to say it is a LFD but not sure. I am anxious to find out because a box of them will be in my humi ASAP. You picked a real winner Eddie. Thanks so much for the opportunity to be a member of the Bomb Squad. What a pleasure.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

smoke 1

I finished my Cigar yesterday, but left my notes at home.  I will have my review posted by tonight.  Great cigar Eddie
-Brian

lowpro75

I hope to smoke mine tonight.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

smoke 1

First off I must say thanks again to BlackIrish very cool idea and I am honored to be a part of the first one !!   Alright first off this is a beautiful Pyramide about six inches long and a variying ring gauge.  Wish I would have saw Tim's post before I lit up, because I should have taken pictures.  I believe it was a Maduro wrapper.

Pre Light:

This is one of my favorite category's, as I like to cut my cigar and then spend time rolling it in my hand and inspect its beauty before I light.  I have always thought that Padron cigars have a distinct smell.  One I compare to maybe pipe tobacco?
 :confused:  :confused:   Anyways that was exactly my first take on this cigar.

20 of 20 points possible

Light and Burn:

The draw was a little tighter than I like, but was never a problem.  I used my Ronson JetLite and she welcomed the flame home.  Great smooth even burn that never needed correction.  Each Puff welcomed beautiful gray blue smoke that filled my garage nicely :-) .

12 of 15 points possible

Construction:

Earlier I mentioned that I enjoy the pre light category a great deal, well I may like this category the best.  I am never ceased to be amazed by how skilled a roller must be.  One day I hope to see a live cigar roll. :dancing:  :dancing:   Anyways back on subject  What a well rolled Pyramide I could barely notice the lines from the wrapper leaf over lapping.  Cutting was a breeze with my double guillotine cutter.

28 of 30 points possible

Flavor:

As i mentioned this cigar on pre light had a wonderful padron esque  smell, well upon the first couple puffs I was not disapointed.  Wonderful full flavor explosion right off the bat.  Well balanced without being harsh or bitter.  Gourmet pepper and hearty tobacco flavors followed by woody flavors YUM !!.  This stayed until about an inch in, then pulled a fast one on me and became much more subtle and milder.  Earthy Creamy flavors took hold at this point.  I was intrigued by the curveball and smiled as I puffed on.  I wana do this for a livin  !!!!  Smoked right to the finger tips.  Definatley a great cigar.

30 of 35 points possible

Total Points:

Summary:

Wow this is fun

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

I thought for sure this was a Padron cigar of sorts, but after it mild down I am not so sure.
Regardless an excellent selection Eddie.  Loking forward to hearing what it was.

P.S.  Maybe from the La Auroa family    :confused:
-Brian

lowpro75

well, I won't be smoking this tonight.  Too late and I'm too tired.  Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow.  I will try to post a picture before I smoke.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

BlackIrish

Wow, you guys write great reviews!  

I'm psyched that Bob, Dennis, and Brian enjoyed this cigar so much.  I can already tell that this is going to turn out to be as fun as I'd hoped.  

I won't say anything more about the guesses until the last two reviews are posted.  Watch this space!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

lowpro75

This cigar is on my agenda for tonight.  Attached are the pics.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Jackal

This is really cool. :smoker2:

Bob, Brian, Dennis and Rich are the first four mad Bombers.  Who is the 5th?

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Jackal

Guess that I can answer my own question now.  The package was waiting for me when I got home.

Thanks  :thanx:

I will let it sit a couple of days in my humi so that it can recover from its arduous cross country trek.  I hope to smoke it either Sunday or Tuesday and I will post my review post haste.

BlackIrish

QuoteJackal - 7/17/2009  8:41 PM

Guess that I can answer my own question now.  The package was waiting for me when I got home.

Thanks  :thanx:

I will let it sit a couple of days in my humi so that it can recover from its arduous cross country trek.  I hope to smoke it either Sunday or Tuesday and I will post my review post haste.

Glad it made it to you -- your question got me worried.  Looking forward to your review.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

lowpro75

Prelight -  I stuck this cigar in front of my nose and smelled it up and down.  The only scent I got was some faint hay.  The cold draw was interesting, some hints of floral taste which was not a foreshadowing of what was to come.  Overall I wouldn't say it was out of the ordinary.  17 out of 20 points.

Light and burn.  The light and burn on this cigar was near perfection.  My lighter actually ran out of butane and only lit the middle of the cigar, it wasn't even an issue.  It just corrected itself and burned evenly the whole way down.  It also produced generous amounts of smoke.  I couldn't ask for much more.  15 out of 15.

Construction - The shape was interesting.  It was a pyramid that really looked like it was half box pressed at the foot.  The roller must have done something right because the draw was perfect and the ash held firm.  I have no complaints in this department whatsoever.  29 out of 30 points.

Flavor.  This was an interesting cigar in the flavor department.  Upon lighting I got some caramel and some sweetness.  This didn't last long.  In the first inch the flavor settled into a toasted nut flavor.  Sometimes it would taste more burnt, sometimes more nutty but a really nice flavor.  At about the halfway point the cigar had some pepper, just hints, here and there.  Also the flavor evolved into a more creamy flavor that I really enjoyed.  The pepper was a bit stronger in the last couple inches but the creaminess remained.  Good stuff.  30 out of 35.

Total 91.

This cigar is a winner.  There was no harshness whatsoever and the flavor was enough to keep me interested throughout the smoke.  It burned at a good pace for a 6 inch cigar.  It took over an hour to smoke (I was enjoying to much to clock watch.)  I would recommend this cigar.  Thanks Eddie for sending, truly a nice treat.  

I'll send a PM to BI to guess tomorrow.  I want to sleep on it.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Bob Cordell

Whos left, just Jackal?

Where we at on this...I'm curious!

:confused:

Jackal

I think that I am the last one.  

The cigar arrived on Friday, so I wanted to give it a few days humi time to let it even out before I lit it up.

I plan to smoke it tomorrow (Tuesday).

Sorry to keep everyone waiting.

mountedshriner

QuoteJackal - 7/20/2009  10:16 AM

I think that I am the last one.  

The cigar arrived on Friday, so I wanted to give it a few days humi time to let it even out before I lit it up.

I plan to smoke it tomorrow (Tuesday).

Sorry to keep everyone waiting.

Fire that puppy dog up Jason!! I am dying to find out what it is!! Whatever it was it is on my list of "buy now". :biggrin:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.