Bad Info from Casa Fuente

Started by Rebecca Silverwolf, 11/09/2014 10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebecca Silverwolf

As mentioned in an earlier thread regarding mold, Jackal and I were in Casa Fuente Las Vegas earlier today. Now, this store, and indeed the Arturo Fuente company, are highly regarded and have a good reputation amongst their customers. So, I was a little surprised at the interaction I had with one of the employees at the shop. While perusing the Casa Fuente line of cigars, I noticed some white marks on some of the Pyramids. I picked up a couple of the sticks, and pointed out some largish white lumps, with a distinctly fuzzy appearance, on the heads of a few of the cigars. At that point, the salesman working in the humidor stepped over and asked if we were familiar with plume. We responded that yes, we do indeed know about plume, but that this was clearly mold. He told us that since it was white, it couldn't be mold. We replied that there are many white molds. The salesman then took the cigar that we were looking at, and rubbed at one of the spots through the cello. Then he told us that since it rubbed off so easily, it must be plume.

Now, to me, the comments of the salesman sounded a lot like something he was trained to say. He didn't seem as knowledgeable about their stock as someone at a high end shop really should be. I'm not sure if this salesman was trying to deliberately deceive us, or if he was just ignorant about the subject. Either way, this really does not reflect well on Casa Fuente as a retailer.

:angry:
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

1029henry

That sucks Rebecca! I have never had anyone working in a cigar shop say, "Yup, it's mold" when a moldy cigar was pointed out to them. They always insist it's plume. I would jump for joy if one of them actually admitted what it was.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Camshaft83

Quote1029henry - 11/10/2014  12:28 AM

That sucks Rebecca! I have never had anyone working in a cigar shop say, "Yup, it's mold" when a moldy cigar was pointed out to them. They always insist it's plume. I would jump for joy if one of them actually admitted what it was.

x2.  I wonder if they think that would make it so you wouldn't buy from them anymore? IMO them admitting it and taking action to correct the issue would make me want to support them more.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Vroomp

I have had several employees at different shops try to tell me mold was plume when I brought it to their attention. I think they just don't really know the difference! I judge a humidor by the La Gloria Cubana Series R #5's they have. In most shops I have been too, this is the first cigar to show signs of mold.

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Brlesq

The same ignorance has happened to me enough times with defensive sales clerks and even shop owners that I have stopped pointing it out to them.  Most walk in B&M humidors keep a higher than average humidity (to compensate for the door that is always opening) and tend to have bouts of molds in various places.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

toby2

that sucks. I get that a bunch.

ntanner

I dont say anything any more because as mentioned before, they never own up to it anyway so why go through the aggravation.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Longhorn

I've only run into this twice and both times alerted the staff.  Whether they choose to believe its mold or not is up to them and the risk is all theirs if they choose not to act.

The Burn Ward

QuoteBrlesq - 11/10/2014  7:32 AM

The same ignorance has happened to me enough times with defensive sales clerks and even shop owners that I have stopped pointing it out to them.  Most walk in B&M humidors keep a higher than average humidity (to compensate for the door that is always opening) and tend to have bouts of molds in various places.

This

Jackal

It's annoying when this happens at some little no name B&M.  It is insulting when it comes from a place as esteemed as Casa Fuente.  Next year if I am there the same time that Carlito Fuente is there, I am going to let him know what a shop carrying his name is doing.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

QuoteJackal - 11/10/2014  12:49 PM  It's annoying when this happens at some little no name B&M.  It is insulting when it comes from a place as esteemed as Casa Fuente.  Next year if I am there the same time that Carlito Fuente is there, I am going to let him know what a shop carrying his name is doing.

Good point. I could see a local shop not having their employees fully educated but in this case it is dissapointing

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Rebecca Silverwolf

Personally, I'm also not a fan of being treated like an idiot by retail employees. I realize most of the people who shop there probably know even less about cigars than that salesman does, but it's still a crappy assumption to have your employees making.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

ThinBlueLine

Let's face it though, Fuentes are prone to mold period!  Last night opened my 2013 box AF Anejo no 50 and found 7 of them with little white mold dot on the foot. I took the cellophane and cedar sleeve off and found a couple more of white mold spots on the cigar. I am !@#%$ing livid. The box of sharks I have are fine. To pay that amount of money and to let them sit for a year only to find this is inexcusable. Definitely not a storage issue on my end as they have been sitting pretty and 65 for the duration. Now I need to worry about the rest of the box which I am sure if I took the cedar sleeves off they'll be some white mold. Wtf?!!  Anyone else on this site have this issue?  Apparently scouring the Internet it seems quite common for AF cigars. SOAB! Any suggestions?  I bought them from Tampa Humidor which is reputable in my eyes. Never again will I buy Fuente, ever!  FU Fuente!  Rant over
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

The Burn Ward

I found Tampa Humidor to be overly humid when I had visited.

Ted

This sucks. I love AF.

:-(  :mad:

Beegerply

Jason and Rebecca I wish I would have seen the mold as I was there on Sat. but did not notice. Has Carlos was there smoking I would of called him on it. If you dealt with the skinny sales person he was a pain. He stood over me like a hawk trying to rush me in my choice of smokes, which I hate. But on a different note it was kind of cool to be smoking a cigar in the same room with Carlos.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

BewareDaPenguin

I enjoy Fuente smokes as well, and I have also been to Casa Fuente but did not notice any smokes with mold. But this seems to be a typical answer for most sales people working in humidors. I have also heard of mold developing under the cedar sleeves so I'm not a big fan of them. At any rate I very much enjoyed the Casa Fuente house blend & the house mojito!! Enjoy your time in Vegas I'm jealous that's one of my favorite places!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

1029henry

In my opinion, Fuente needs to skip the cedar sleeves on ALL their cigar lines. I have found mold under the sleeves of Fuente cigars on numerous occasions. Love your cigars, guys, but skip the sleeves!!!!!!!
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Rebecca Silverwolf

Cedar sleeves, tubes, and coffins are all quite likely to grow mold, as they create areas of low circulation (where humidity can gather) right next to the wrapper. I'd always recommend storing cigars without the cedar sleeves, coffins, or tubes. Regardless of the brand name.

nwb

QuoteBrlesq - 11/10/2014  6:32 AM

Same here.

That is disappointing for a place as nice as Casa Fuente.  :mad:
Chief of Shaft

Rbrushaber

To sad they dont belive in honesty is the better way to maimtain a customer base
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Rbrushaber

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and courage of free me and women.  It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."  Ronald Reagan
This quote is as true today as it was when I first heard it in the 1980s and joined the USAF...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.