CigarPlace.biz NewVet Pass

Started by CigarPlace, 11/17/2014 06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CigarPlace

This is a thread generated automatically by the Cigar Pass system to discuss the Cigar Pass named 'CigarPlace.biz NewVet Pass'.

Use this link to return back to the Cigar Pass.

ItalianGuido

"Cigars!"  - Gene Hackman from "Young Frankenstein"

terrys1991

I'd like to get in on this too, will be be my first pass.
"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

kxthor911

Looks like a bunch of newbs so far. Guess people don't like being told to bomb others. Might wanna take that part out. People are generous here of their on free will please let that continue the way it is. Rant over.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

05Venturer

Quotekxthor911 - 11/18/2014  8:59 AM

Looks like a bunch of newbs so far. Guess people don't like being told to bomb others. Might wanna take that part out. People are generous here of their on free will please let that continue the way it is. Rant over.

X2
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

StogieDad

Quotekxthor911 - 11/18/2014  9:59 AM

Agreed.  That is three geeks who of all folks do no mind being generous, but don't tell newbs to join a pass just so the vets can spoil them.

We take care of newbs, but the surprise is part of the fun, and sometimes you gotta hang a bit to make sure you stick around.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

05Venturer

QuoteStogieDad - 11/18/2014  11:14 AM

Quotekxthor911 - 11/18/2014  9:59 AM

Agreed.  That is three geeks who of all folks do no mind being generous, but don't tell newbs to join a pass just so the vets can spoil them.

We take care of newbs, but the surprise is part of the fun, and sometimes you gotta hang a bit to make sure you stick around.

Exactly what I was saying last night, so the newb' can jump on and "expect" to get bombed from the "vets".
Glad I am not the only one seeing it that way. I do send several bombs, but I don't want to be told when I should. Bad Idea IMO
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

ItalianGuido

Anybody every been forced to give at a "work place giving" campaign like United Way? I have. I didn't really like that, but I gave anyway. I agree that generosity should not be mandated, takes some of the fun and surprise out of it. Even though I am new, I signed up for this one because I considered myself a vet in this instance. (<-Hey, look! I am one!)  I just like giving.

I see where there is a concern from the established members that newbs might just want to mooch. I'll speak as a recent newbie here: it's a little intimidating breaking into the conversations and action that is going on. It's like a merry-go-round and you are trying to jump on this moving behemoth. Some of us are a little more boisterous and forward and don't have a problem with this. Others just lurk, or throw in an occasional comment. If this pass can bring in some of those on the fringe or help repair the damage of the Newbie Pass, then I'm in. There is already one here that said that this would be their first pass. We are all geeks, folks.  This is just the view of someone on the outside looking in. You don't have to agree with me.

I also think that if we want to teach them geek generosity, then we teach them to give and receive. EVERYONE should get bombed! Maybe set a couple sticks aside in the pass just for the next one in line. Just an idea to help save this pass. I like what Jessica is trying to here and I'm game for whatever this turns into.

Respectfully, Aaron

nirab

I am sure Jessica meant well, and its not like she was telling anyone what to do. Now, if someone posts a bunch of threads about the same subject/pass, then a little ball bustin' is in order. But when someone fairly new to the site is excited about how awesome and generous our site is, and has shown that same generosity to others on this site (without being told), I don't find any need to berate her, as her motives are genuine. I don't buy into the "outrage", and feel that a simple pm direct to Jessica would have been the appropriate thing to do if a geek was "offended" by Jessica's idea for her pass. :shades:

Jessica, its your pass, run it as you wish. Folks don't like the rules, don't play. Simple enough. And thank you for your generosity in all the passes that you have participated in.  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

StogieDad

I didn't think anyone took a rude tone.  Sorry if I did.  Maybe a PM would have sufficed,  but I was just voicing my opinion.    I appreciate the thought was to show newbs the other pass was not standard.  Good idea.  I just thought a requirement of a bomb may need to be reviewed.  If that is how the pass is going, by all means continue.  I think our point was we don't require generosity, it is just a attribute of this fantastic community.  I certainly make every effort to over deliver in everything I do on here.  And the coolness and generosity I was shown as a noob is certainly something that kept me around and has formed the way I participate in things.just my 2 cents.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nirab

QuoteStogieDad - 11/18/2014  12:58 PM

I didn't think anyone took a rude tone.  Sorry if I did.  Maybe a PM would have sufficed,  but I was just voicing my opinion.    I appreciate the thought was to show newbs the other pass was not standard.  Good idea.  I just thought a requirement of a bomb may need to be reviewed.  If that is how the pass is going, by all means continue.  I think our point was we don't require generosity, it is just a attribute of this fantastic community.  I certainly make every effort to over deliver in everything I do on here.  And the coolness and generosity I was shown as a noob is certainly something that kept me around and has formed the way I participate in things.just my 2 cents.

Very good points my friend. I felt that Jessica was being "attacked" by her choice to include a "geek math" lesson in her pass, which I find nothing wrong with. Generosity comes from the heart, and this site has that, and so much more. She was simply trying to teach a classroom of geeks, versus one at a time.  Perhaps I posted my opinion too soon, and could have worded it differently. I apologize if any of you were offended by my post.

I should have done what I always do (try to!)...if I am not participating in the pass, I do not participate in the thread, or opinions thereof, unless requested...which is never!!

:angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

CigarPlace

WOW... look what happens when I magically forget to "Toggle e-mail notification" on my pass thread and somehow get distracted by the clicking on every single link on the new site and testing functions and aesthetics and formatting and styling and responsiveness and and and.

Okay, the veterans have spoken. I'm not going to be the jerk that doesn't heed the warning of the Vets. I'll go back and change that requirement and will only run the pass in the geographically logical method. I was trying to accomplish something a bit different and I had assumed (my mistake) that the Vets would be more than okay with stepping up to the requirement bar, much in the same way they did with me voluntarily.

Clearly, I made a mistake in that assumption but I ultimately believe in the power of the Geeks and it is my hope that all members of the pass will strive to over-deliver, within their means of course.

I'll go change the pass rules now.

bigjohn20081983

QuoteStogieDad - 11/18/2014  12:14 PM  
Quotekxthor911 - 11/18/2014  9:59 AM  Looks like a bunch of newbs so far. Guess people don't like being told to bomb others. Might wanna take that part out. People are generous here of their on free will please let that continue the way it is. Rant over.
Agreed.  That is three geeks who of all folks do no mind being generous, but don't tell newbs to join a pass just so the vets can spoil them.  We take care of newbs, but the surprise is part of the fun, and sometimes you gotta hang a bit to make sure you stick around.

:word:  :notamused:  

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

johncw

QuoteCigarPlace - 11/18/2014  2:12 PM

WOW... look what happens when I magically forget to "Toggle e-mail notification" on my pass thread and somehow get distracted by the clicking on every single link on the new site and testing functions and aesthetics and formatting and styling and responsiveness and and and.

Okay, the veterans have spoken. I'm not going to be the jerk that doesn't heed the warning of the Vets. I'll go back and change that requirement and will only run the pass in the geographically logical method. I was trying to accomplish something a bit different and I had assumed (my mistake) that the Vets would be more than okay with stepping up to the requirement bar, much in the same way they did with me voluntarily.

Clearly, I made a mistake in that assumption but I ultimately believe in the power of the Geeks and it is my hope that all members of the pass will strive to over-deliver, within their means of course.

I'll go change the pass rules now.

jessica you could still try and set the pass up by experienced member, newer member, experienced and so on. It doesn't have to by geography.

Cfickter

i see a couple of thoughts here.  if the plan is to show any newb how pass is run then just run a pass, dont need to have caveats or special instructions on what or how much to pass. Anyone who reads the threads here knows about bomns and the generosity that can be shown.  I would be happy to join a pass that mixes the newbs and vets but just run a pass without expectations.  also sent an ending
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

sjn1117

Ultimately Jessica it is your pass and you run it how you want. My .02 would be to set it up Vet to Newb and leave it at that. In my opinion you would get more participation from the Vets that way. This is the most generous and giving group of people on the web, especially as far as cigar sites go, but we can still be crotchety old farts when we feel like our hand is being forced. Again just my .02 for what it's worth, carry on.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

CigarPlace

Hey all,

Rules have been changed and updated. Please take a look and let me know if there is anything else that I should change.

Chrism305

I do like the idea of mixing up the geography. That way those of us who participate in passes get to see a few ne faces.

ebernabe

Thanks for letting me be in your pass.

Rebecca Silverwolf

I'd be interested in participating, if you are looking for another Vet to join in.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

CigarPlace

QuoteChrism305 - 11/19/2014  12:05 PM  I do like the idea of mixing up the geography. That way those of us who participate in passes get to see a few ne faces.

I kinda like this plan too. I know I often receive and ship to the same 3 guys over and over again.

ntanner

I like the idea. I liked it before you changed you're wording too. I would like to participate if you will have me.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

CigarPlace

I'll be closing this pass at the end of the day on Monday. Anyone else ready to jump in the pool?

Caveman Steve

I'll join this pass if you'll have me.  Not a "Newbie".  More of a "Lurker Vet" (sounds creepy!), but have not yet reached "Curmudgeon" status.
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

ItalianGuido

"Caveman Lurker Steve".... that sounds like a radio DJ.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.