Pipe with Cigar Taste

Started by paulm, 04/18/2015 06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulm

I've been trying to learn to smoke a pipe. No matter what tobacco I've tried (only a few so far) I can't get the simple satisfaction I get from a big puff of cigar smoke.
This evening, I was smoking one of my cheap "everyday" cigars - a Rosa Cuba. When it came to the last 3rd, I popped it into my pipe.
Luckily the diameter of the cigar was a perfect fit for the pipe bowl.

Well.... it was the best pipe of tobacco I have yet tried - great smoke volume, great taste .... it makes me wonder whether I should give up on pipe tobacco and simply cut up some cigars.
All the other tobaccos I have tried so far taste a bit strange.

Are there any other Cigar and Pipe smokers out there who have an opinion on this?

Paul

bigjohn20081983

When I had my pipe I would save my cigar nub ends and cut them up fine and pack my cigar like I normally would. I liked it better than alot of pipe tobacco also
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

paulm

So, BigJohn - did you give up on the pipes or did you find a good tobacco?

bigjohn20081983

I  broke mine by putting it in my pocket and sitting down and never bothered to replace it.

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

sjn1117

I love my cigars but I also enjoy a good pipe bowl as well. They are not the same at all but unique in their  own right. Try a good KFC blend in a pipe and you'll be surprised.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

StogieDad

I tried a pipe for a few weeks a year ago and I found the same thing.  Just didn't get the same satisfaction, so I ditched it.  Wasn't bad, just not for me.  But several guys around that really enjoy it I know.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ebernabe

I like a pipe when I have time.  A pipe and cigar are at different ends of the spectrum for me.  When it comes to cigars, I do not like the flavored or infused cigars.   But I like the aromatic pipe tobaccos (I do like a good English or Virginia from time to time) when the pipe mood hits me.  

If you don't get any satisfaction from it, stick with the cigars.

Camshaft83

I too enjoy a pipe from time to time. Usually when I don't have time for a cigar. As ebernabe said I don't care for flavored cigars but tend to really enjoy a nice aromatic pipe.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

ebernabe

Another thing about cigars, less equipment you have to tote around.  Just a lighter, cutter and your cigars.  Pipe smoking for me is much easier done from the home.

C130Driver

I've tried a pipe on a few occasions, I agree that it's a different experience. For me (and I'm sure it was due to my own inexperience) I had the hardest time getting the pack right. I would ALWAYS either pack it too tight and it was constantly going out, or too loosely and it would burn hot and fast. I finally got fed up and gave up. I've considered giving it another go though. That said, I've always preferred cigars and can't imagine ever preferring a pipe over cigars.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

Hot Stuff x

I like smoking a pipe, but it doesn't generally give you the volume of smoke you get with a cigar.  And even though I enjoy a nice aromatic pipe, I haven't smoked one in a while because I lack patience and can't be bothered with all the fuss required to keep a pipe going.  I keep meaning to fire one up again, but just never seem to have the time.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

paulm

I tried this again this evening.  A factory second Gran Habanos.  Nice cigar, and as it became short, I put it into my pipe.
A perfect fit... I slightly squeezed it into the bowl.
So :
1. Perfect draw and smoke - no relighting, no tamping... why?  This was perfect - I can't achieve this with any pipe tobacco.
2. No overheating or tongue-bite... just lots of lovely smoke.

How can I get this level of satisfaction from a pipe tobacco?  The closest I've come is from an English blend ( Burper kake) which was almost blissful, but had a huge nicotine level which made me almost dizzy (and I am a 40 a day cigarette smoker)

I'm beginning to wonder if the cigar experience is centred around smoke volume, while the pipe experience is centred around taste (which I am not conditioned to yet). Any thoughts on this?

But the real question is, how can I get an enjoyable big smoke experience from a pipe, without plugging it with a cigar butt?

Paul

Rammstein142

Nice, I haven't done this yet but have been on the hunt for something that would be handy for smoking nubs like a pipe. There was a device with a bowl, have seen it in German ww1 photos, that the nub would be placed in and then finished like a pipe. Didn't have to cut or anything, you just rested the numb vertically in it and puffed away. Was quite cool looking. Of course now I can't find the photo, but in the photo it looked to be some kind of metal.
"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

Rammstein142

Actually just ran across this article...wonder if it was actually these they were smoking! Anyone heard of these??

https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/sunny-semois/
"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

Cigary

Was looking at a site where they actually sell a cob pipe essentially for this idea...I believe it is a 52 RG bowl and you light the cigar first obviously and stick it in head first into the pipe.  The seal is ensured as long as you don't try to put a Torp or other shaped head into it...some said it worked great.

toby2

i have an old blasted Pete i nub cigars in if they fit but i don't prefer the taste to pipe tobacco. just a way to smoke a bit longer w/o having to start another cigar.
as a side note pipes are like riding a bike. once you get it you get it and that's that. it happens and you forget about the learning bit. i like both pipes and cigars. one nice thing about a pipe is you can set it down and relight it an hour later and it not be fouled and ruined like a cigar will be.

1029henry

I have been avoiding pipe smoking for the simple fact that with my addictive buying personality, I will undoubtedly start buying pipes, baccy, and gadgets by the ton. I'm already broke enough smoking and collecting cigars!!!!!
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Cigary

Quote1029henry - 4/25/2015  5:51 PM  I have been avoiding pipe smoking for the simple fact that with my addictive buying personality, I will undoubtedly start buying pipes, baccy, and gadgets by the ton. I'm already broke enough smoking and collecting cigars!!!!!

That's what happened with me....I smoked pipes in the late 70's and picked it up again last year...4 Savinelli pipes later and 20 cans of assorted tobacco and gadgets and lighters....yikes!!

05Venturer

Quotetoby2 - 4/25/2015  8:46 AM

i have an old blasted Pete i nub cigars in if they fit but i don't prefer the taste to pipe tobacco. just a way to smoke a bit longer w/o having to start another cigar.
as a side note pipes are like riding a bike. once you get it you get it and that's that. it happens and you forget about the learning bit. i like both pipes and cigars. one nice thing about a pipe is you can set it down and relight it an hour later and it not be fouled and ruined like a cigar will be.

Absolutely x2 :bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.