Bomb Squad #2: Reports from the field

Started by BlackIrish, 09/08/2009 07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackIrish

Hey, all.  

Here's the background on the Bomb Squad.  http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=2937.0

Assignments have been sent.  The lineup so far is:

MHuss
Gitfiddl
Nukbucko

The last two members should be receiving their assignments today if they haven't received them already.  

Let's use this thread to post reviews.  I'll leave the exact format to you, but it would be great if you'd give a little more detail than usual, along the lines of the Geek Critiques.   Be candid, and take your best guess as to the identity of the cigar, but don't get too hung up on that -- the fun is in the blind reviews.  

Enjoy!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

mhuss

Thanks for the opportunity, Eddie!  I can't wait to get started.  Although I must say, I think the trip toughened up the stick a little.  I think I'm going to have to let it rest in my humi for at least a few days.  I hope you don't mind the delay in my smoking it.  Plus, I don't have a day off from work until Sunday.  So the opportunities to get a cigar in will be slim to none this week.  But I appreciate the opportunity and look forward to the challenge.

BlackIrish

Glad to have you, Mike.  Looking forward to the review!

Bomb squad members, when these arrive, let them sit in your humi for a couple of days.  We've had some unusually low humidity here in Boston and they may need a little time to re-equilibrate.

(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

gitfiddl

Mine arrived Saturday and has been resting comfortably ever since.  Perhaps tomorrow...
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Ken Kelley

Referring back to gitfiddl's post from a few days ago..."there's an envelope with a return addy in Charlestown, MA, in my mailbox. Enclosed was a single unbanded 7"x50+ ring cigar with what looks to be a nice dark Maduro wrapper in an Atlantic Cigar ziploc bag."  I found a similar package in the mail today.  I opened it and inside was a cigar that fit the description.  

Thanks, Eddie, for including me on the squad.  I'll let it rest for a few days and give it a try.

It's good to be a bomb squadder!

Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

BlackIrish

Smoked one of these cigars for the first time in several months.  It was very much as I remembered it.  I'll be interested in your experiences.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

gitfiddl

I'm letting it rest.  Give me another day or two.  It's a reeeeeally nice looking stick and again I thank you for including me.  I doubt that I can name it, but I will review it along the Geeks format.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

BlackIrish

Quotegitfiddl - 9/11/2009  11:38 PM

I'm letting it rest.  Give me another day or two.  It's a reeeeeally nice looking stick and again I thank you for including me.  I doubt that I can name it, but I will review it along the Geeks format.

Sorry -- that wasn't intended to be pressure!  The one I'd smoked has been resting comfortably in a humidor and didn't go through the trauma of the postal service, so please, take the time you need.  I just hadn't smoked one of these in a while so I decided to take it out for a spin again.  I hope you like it, of course, but don't mind if you don't.  I want an honest review -- like Rich and Ken panning the Anejo and DCM in the Rate 'em and Weep pass!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

gitfiddl

I didn't take it as pressure at all.  My thing is I want to be able to devote some time, thought and attention to this (and the Geeks Critique) as opposed to my usual habit of smoking a cigar while I'm doing something else, if you know what I mean.

Ken Kelley

Hey, Eddie, do we just post our critique here in the thread or send it to you via PM or what?  Or did I miss an instruction somewhere along the way like I am prone to do?

Jackal

OK you have MHuss, Gitfiddl, Nukbucko and Alpharion.  Are there only 4 this time or is there a mystery 5th squad member that we don't know about?

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

BlackIrish

QuoteAlphairon - 9/12/2009  10:21 PM

Hey, Eddie, do we just post our critique here in the thread or send it to you via PM or what?  Or did I miss an instruction somewhere along the way like I am prone to do?

Just post in this thread, for all to see.  You can post your guess, too.

Have fun!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

BlackIrish

QuoteJackal - 9/13/2009  2:32 AM

OK you have MHuss, Gitfiddl, Nukbucko and Alpharion.  Are there only 4 this time or is there a mystery 5th squad member that we don't know about?

There's a 5th.  I'm trying to connect with him -- maybe the bomb already claimed its first victim?   :confused:
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

nukbucko

Can I blow my self up now or later
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

BlackIrish

Quotenukbucko - 9/13/2009  10:33 PM

Can I blow my self up now or later

Whenever you're ready!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

BlackIrish

Updated:

Hey, all.  

Here's the background on the Bomb Squad.  http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=2937.0

Assignments have been sent.  The lineup so far is:

MHuss
Gitfiddl
Nukbucko
Alphairon
Samhain2000

Let's use this thread to post reviews.  I'll leave the exact format to you, but it would be great if you'd give a little more detail than usual, along the lines of the Geek Critiques.   Be candid, and take your best guess as to the identity of the cigar, but don't get too hung up on that -- the fun is in the blind reviews.  

Enjoy!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

nukbucko

Ok here I go.

The Construction of the cigar was good, it was a bit veiny, This cigar was rolled nice and tight I found no soft spots, but it still was a bit dit on the dry side. The wrapper was a dark shade of brown and matte in finish.

The 1st 1/3 had little hint of spice and loads of woody flavors, the draw was nice and easy, The smoke was smooth, I feel like this was a med. in body. The ash i got was salt and pepper in color and was kinda weakand the burn was fairly even.

The 2/3 there was not much change in the flavor department, the ash did get a bit lighter and was more gray then black, The ash was still a bit weak. At this point I got a few burn issues, I had to pull out the lighter to fix.

The 3/3 A hint of nut started to appear with the rest of the flavors and at the end of this cigar I got a slight bitterness with some notes of sour. The burn issues started to grow and I had to fix again.

And my guess would be a     La Gloria Cubana
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

BlackIrish

Quotenukbucko - 9/14/2009  4:06 PM

Ok here I go.

The Construction of the cigar was good, it was a bit veiny, This cigar was rolled nice and tight I found no soft spots, but it still was a bit dit on the dry side. The wrapper was a dark shade of brown and matte in finish.

The 1st 1/3 had little hint of spice and loads of woody flavors, the draw was nice and easy, The smoke was smooth, I feel like this was a med. in body. The ash i got was salt and pepper in color and was kinda weakand the burn was fairly even.

The 2/3 there was not much change in the flavor department, the ash did get a bit lighter and was more gray then black, The ash was still a bit weak. At this point I got a few burn issues, I had to pull out the lighter to fix.

The 3/3 A hint of nut started to appear with the rest of the flavors and at the end of this cigar I got a slight bitterness with some notes of sour. The burn issues started to grow and I had to fix again.

And my guess would be a     La Gloria Cubana

Nice review!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

nukbucko

Thank Eddie for having me in the Bomb Squad it was really fun

nukbucko

The suspense is killing me I don't know if im dead or not

mhuss

I'm hoping to get to this Friday.  It all depends on the weather.  The next couple of days here in PA aren't supposed to be all that nice.  I've had the stick in my humi since I received it, so hopefully it's ready to burn.  Hopefully we'll find out Friday.

gitfiddl

I might burn mine tonight.  It's been a stressful two or three days with no real smoking time and I need to relax.

mhuss

Just a heads up for you guys........I'm taking the kids down to the playground this afternoon, and while there, I will be taking on this great challenge.  Hopefully I'll have some good notes to write.  I'll post my thoughts as soon as I return.  I've been looking forward to this smoke all week!

Ken Kelley

I finally found a few hours free so I smoked mine today.  Very enjoyable stick too!

The cigar sported a dark brown wrapper.  There were a few veins here and there and a moderate amount of toothiness.  A sniff or two revealed a light aged tobacco smell, nothing intense.  The construction was good and the cigar was well filled and firm to a gentle squeeze.  I sliced off the cap with a clean cut and no signs of cracking.  The draw was perfect with just the hint of drag I favor.  Not a great deal of flavor on the cold draw, just maybe a hint of aged tobacco.  It toasted easily and fired right up.  The smoke was very mild initially with no burst of pepper or harshness.  The taste was light and mildly woody for the first inch.  The ash was firm and smooth, gray with a few streaks of darker gray.  It held for an inch and a half before dropping.  The burn was a bit wavy but never got out of hand to the point of needing a touch up  The body started to build in the second half of the first third.    Hints of leather appeared but the body was still pretty mild.  As the second third progressed the flavor intensified with leathery elements, dark coffee, a mild nuttiness that came and went, and a slight, almost citrus-like tang appending the leathery taste.  Body climbed to medium in the second third and a very mild sweetness emerged.  The leather predominated in the last third and the richness which became evident in the middle of the second third increased slightly.  The smoke seemed almost to coat the inside of my mouth.  I smoked it down to about an inch before giving it up.  This one is a strong 4 on our Geek rating scale.

What was it?  I don't know for sure but a lot of elements were similar to the flavors and strengths I've found in Arturo Fuente's higher end cigars.  The ash was very similar to that of Anejo #48's I've tried and the predominant leathery taste with the citrus-like tang is similar to my findings with a couple of Opus X sticks.  The Anejo's also opened up with the same mild, sort of woody taste and built in complexity and medium strength like this stick did.  So, keeping in mind my relative newbieness in the cigar world I'll venture a guess that this was an Arturo Fuente something-or-other, one of the gooder ones.      

Thanks a heap for including me in this exercise, Eddie.  I really enjoyed it.

mhuss

As promised, I got the opportunity to enjoy this fantastic cigar this afternoon.  I'm pretty-well stumped on what brand this is, but it was enjoyable to smoke and even a little fun trying to come up with the brand itself.  I'll keep thinking about it while writing the review, and try to come up with something by the end.

The pre-light inspection showed a beautiful dark brown and smooth maduro wrapper.  The tobacco was wound really tightly inside.  There was one elevated vien that ran down the middle of the wrapper, from the foot to about the halfway point of the cigar.  The aroma coming wafting off the stick was of light chocolate, cocoa, vanilla and a little bit of oak.  The cut was smooth and clean, and the flavors teased at a little cocoa and pepper.  The draw a bit on the tight side, though.  The light extremely easy and even.  The burn was slow and steady throughout the entire smoke.  The burn line began as straight as an arrow.  But once it reached that elevated vein on the wrapper, the line got thrown off and it started burning a little unevenly.  The draw started off tight, but after the first ash fell off, the draw opened up and allowed for more smoke to be enjoyed.  The aroma featured tones of lightly toasted bread, tree bark, leather, earth and oak.  The flavors were really complex and delicious, with notes of dark roasted coffee, cream, light leather, earth, dry red grapes, black cherries and rye bread.  About halfway through the smoke, some milkier chocolate hints developed, along with a little more sweetness.  Overall, this is a really great cigar!  It really took off after the slow start.  The flavors really developed and got complex and really delicious.  The body was really smooth and enjoable.  This cigar delivered a lot of character and flavor without being overbearing or too powerful.  If I were rating this in our database, I would have a tough time deciding to go with 4 stars or even a 4.5.

Thanks Eddie for including me in this Bomb/Blind Taste Test.  This cigar has some real familiar characteristics to it.  On one hand, it seems like I have smoked this before, but on another, it has some unique flavors that I don't think I've experienced.  Unfortuantely, I don't think I'm going to be able to take much of a guess.  I'll think about it for a little while and try and put somewhat of a semi-educated guess together.  Thanks again!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.