Unbanded Pass Idea

Started by 05Venturer, 06/03/2015 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

I am wondering how many Geeks would be interested in participating in a "Unbanded Mystery Pass"?
The idea would be that seed cigars and all puts would go in with the bands removed and only a number to identify them
A very short review would be completed on each take and after completed then you would find out what you smoked. I am interested to see what members would think of a cigar without having any idea what they were smoking pre light.
If I see enough interest I will try to get my hands on some blank cigar labels that I would send out with the pass for everyone to use throughout the pass. The pass would be limited to just a couple takes to keep it a bit simpler and easier to review your takes.

It would be interesting to see if a $10-$15 cigar would get all the rave reviews or if a $5 smoke might taste better not knowing price-points or manufacturers.

Who's in??? :biggrin:

This thread is only to gauge interest prior to actually setting something up.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

headfirst

If I wasn't so backlogged on what I've bought/traded versus what I've actually tried I would be game for this, but it would take forever for me to get to those smokes.  I love the idea though!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

StogieDad

I'd be in Kent, always a fun idea!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

danb6177

sounds like a fun idea, I would join in if Im able to (not sure if you guys have a post count minimum or feedback minimum)
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Cfickter

Kent, sounds like a great idea.  Would love to participate
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cfickter

Kent, where would the reviews be posted prior to revealing the cigar we smoked?  We should then post the review under the actual cigar in the DB also.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nirab

I'd love to play! This is kinda like the Round Robin pass, but different!  :biggrin:  :shy:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

05Venturer

QuoteCfickter - 6/3/2015  3:44 PM

Kent, where would the reviews be posted prior to revealing the cigar we smoked?  We should then post the review under the actual cigar in the DB also.

I would say once you have smoked and the cigar and jotted the notes down on paper you would reach out to whomever put the cigar in the pass to find out what it was then post reviews on CG.
Would just go on the honor system that nobody would change a review one way or another once they find out what it was.
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

cavenbk

Sounds like a fun idea. I'm not much for doing reviews, just not my cup of tea, otherwise I would be in. Curious to watch this one though
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

horrido

Neat idea but would ittake a long time to go through the pass? I would like to try it.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

ninfiction

Kent, I have a pack of these http://www.kencostore.com/Stock-Labels/Cigar-Banding-Products/Blank-Cigar-Bands/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=325609 they work pretty well. I could probably hook you up with some....

Actually, there is a deal on r/cigars because the guy that makes them is a member there. Buy 2 get one free + free shipping. That would be 1500 blank bands maybe some guys would be interested in a split. I probably have 400 left and could just give you a bunch too.

and count me in for the pass...please
This is not the admin you're looking for...

05Venturer

Looks like there is a bit of interest so far :bigthumbs:
Kent

MacMac

it sounds interesting. I'll be on the look out for it.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

dddddmorgan

As long as it doesn't get too high ended I'd play.
Maybe an ides would be to limit takes and puts to something like three or so and require a review in two weeks or so. Preliminary reviews could be reviewed in the pass forum and then reposted in the database if desired.
Molon Labe!

mthomason1980

I'd be up for this, great idea I think..

05Venturer

P

Quotedddddmorgan - 6/4/2015  7:08 AM

As long as it doesn't get too high ended I'd play.
Maybe an ides would be to limit takes and puts to something like three or so and require a review in two weeks or so.

Perhaps reread last sentence in OP

I am wondering how many Geeks would be interested in participating in a "Unbanded Mystery Pass"? 

The idea would be that seed cigars and all puts would go in with the bands removed and only a number to identify them 
A very short review would be completed on each take and after completed then you would find out what you smoked. I am interested to see what members would think of a cigar without having any idea what they were smoking pre light. 
If I see enough interest I will try to get my hands on some blank cigar labels that I would send out with the pass for everyone to use throughout the pass. The pass would be limited to just a couple takes to keep it a bit simpler and easier to review your takes.
Kent

mpurtle01

Sounds awesome to me.   The Round Robin is always one of my favorites...   This would be too.

nirab

Kent, on the review part of this. We would do a written review/notes, and then contact the person who supplied the cigar to find out what it was that we smoked? We could then post the review in the CG database...is this it?

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

05Venturer

Quotenirab - 6/4/2015  12:29 PM

Kent, on the review part of this. We would do a written review/notes, and then contact the person who supplied the cigar to find out what it was that we smoked? We could then post the review in the CG database...is this it?

exactly brother
 :thumbsup:
Kent

nirab

Quote05Venturer - 6/4/2015  12:51 PM

Quotenirab - 6/4/2015  12:29 PM

exactly brother
 :thumbsup:

Let's do this!! 2 stick max seems smart.  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

ninfiction

Kent, see my post above about cigar bands...I should have plenty for the pass.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

bmac7754

Sounds like a fun one, I'd be in for that.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

quickme

i'd be interested BUT when would you have to review both sticks by?

05Venturer

Quoteninfiction - 6/4/2015  1:34 PM

Kent, see my post above about cigar bands...I should have plenty for the pass.

That would be great, I have another geek also that is willing to donate some blanks bands for the pass.
I think this is definitely gonna be a go by the sounds of the feedback on this thread. :rocker:
Kent

junglepete

I like the sound of this as I've always believed that the best reviews are the ones that are completely blind. I would love to see the short review posted in the thread first, then identified by the one who put it in, then transferred into the database. Would love to follow a thread like that. Great idea whichever way it comes about.  :cool:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.