Would you spend ~$12 to be in a unique pass?

Started by Jackal, 06/05/2015 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackal

I was wondering if people would like to try something unique, a Yankee Swap style pass.

It would require a moderator (me) who would not be in the pass but would administrate it.

Here is what I was thinking.  Each person sends the moderator 5 cigars: 2x $5-10 value sticks, 2x $10-15, 1 Hard to find stick. along with $5.95 to cover shipping (flat rate box)

I would then assign these cigars into lots of 2 (1x $5-10 + 1x $10-15) or 1 hard to find stick and each lot assigned a letter designation.

The participants would be randomized and starting with the first person, they would choose a lot.  The cigars would be revealed and a photo posted by me.  The next person would then either choose a new lot or steal a revealed lot.  If stolen, the person who was stolen from gets a turn again to pick or steal.  This would go on until all lots are taken.

A lot can only be stolen 3 times before it is frozen and can no longer be taken.  

At the end, everyone will end up with 3 lots (3-6 cigars depending on whether they got the HTFs or not)

Would anyone be interested in trying this out?

Unfortunately, because of shipping costs, the $5.95 would be limited to US residents.  If Non-US geeks want to participate, we would need to work out shipping costs separately.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nirab

Interesting! I'd surely ponder this one.  :biggrin:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

terrys1991

QuoteStogieDad - 6/5/2015  3:48 PM  I'll play, once I figure it out :biggrin:

Me Too! 

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

Brlesq

Ohhh!  You lost me after the third paragraph!  I don't come here to have to think. :?:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

jharrisx5

Sounds interesting but maybe do a total of 6 sticks (2 from each group) so that way everyone gets HTF sticks in the end...
Puff Puff Give....

Mojo66

Sounds interesting, pretty cool actually but I do have a question. With this style pass, if I got it right, I could end up "taking" some of my own cigars if they happen to be in one of the lots I end up with. The more I think of it the more likely I think this will happen.

Might not be a big problem for some but for me, paying to ship a cigar and paying again to ship and get the same cigar is against my religion. :biggrin:  :shy:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Jackal

QuoteMojo66 - 6/5/2015  3:38 PM

Sounds interesting, pretty cool actually but I do have a question. With this style pass, if I got it right, I could end up "taking" some of my own cigars if they happen to be in one of the lots I end up with. The more I think of it the more likely I think this will happen.

Might not be a big problem for some but for me, paying to ship a cigar and paying again to ship and get the same cigar is against my religion. :biggrin:  :shy:

Most cigars will get "stolen", so unless you are stealing your own, this most likely will not happen.  In fact, unless you are the final person this becomes almost impossible to happen.  If you are the last person, it is still very unlikely.

Jackal

For those who are not understanding this, look up Yankee Swap on the internet.  Maybe they can explain it easier than I am.  The difference  being that they are being shipped to to be be mailed out, rather than having everyone in the same location.

Guessing we have people who have never done a White Elephant or other form of Yankee Swap as a party game.  :confused:

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Brlesq

QuoteJackal - 6/5/2015  7:04 PM
Guessing we have people who have never done a White Elephant or other form of Yankee Swap as a party game.  :confused:

My wife and I don't attend those kind of "swap" parties.  But more power to you, brother!   :shades:   :thumbsup:

Just be careful that you don't end up with someone named Caitlyn at the end of the night!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Mojo66

I get it too and played it before. What I didn't get is that you are going to make lots with cigars from the same person, I had taken for granted that you'd be making lots with cigars from any geek, mixing them up and therefore making it more than likely that the cigar I want is in a lot where one of my own is.

I stand corrected and, I want to play :bigthumbs:

Brlesq

So I could end up with Sébastien at the end of the evening??   :-0

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Jackal

QuoteBrlesq - 6/5/2015  4:27 PM

So I could end up with Sébastien at the end of the evening??   :-0

Yes, so treat him right.

cavenbk

Sounds like fun. I would definitely consider it.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

johncw

MacMac

Sounds like fun, but I'm so new to smoking cigars, I'm sure i don't own any hard to find sticks. And I might not know it if I ran into one.  :cry:
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Mojo66

QuoteBrlesq - 6/5/2015  7:27 PM  So I could end up with Sébastien at the end of the evening??   :-0  

And what's so wrong about that might I ask  :biggrin:  :cry:  :biggrin:

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

Joelala

Joe

Brlesq

QuoteMojo66 - 6/5/2015  11:18 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 6/5/2015  7:27 PM  So I could end up with Sébastien at the end of the evening??   :-0  

I don't like Canadian Bacon . . .  ;-)

Oh, and I'm in on this Jason.  Sounds like a fun idea.

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

StogieDad

QuoteBrlesq - 6/6/2015  8:40 AM

I don't like Canadian Bacon . . .  ;-)

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Mojo66

QuoteBrlesq - 6/6/2015  8:40 AM  
QuoteMojo66 - 6/5/2015  11:18 PM  

I don't like Canadian Bacon . . .  ;-) ....    

Touché  :fencing:   :lmao:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.