Blind Geek Reviews

Started by 05Venturer, 06/22/2015 10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

This thread is for reviews for the "Blind Geeks Pass" ONLY
Please do not clutter it with comments, comments should be put in the pass thread
>>> http://www.cigargeeks.com/community/forums/thread-view.asp?posts=1&tid=33750

As soon as I see a review in this thread I will pm the reviewer the information for that particular cigar.
Thanx Kent  :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

ninfiction

Should have mentioned this is cigar #5 from Kent - 05Venturer

Smoked my first take tonight. A very nice looking torpedo. I think torpedos are one of my favorite vitolas so when I saw it in the pass I had to have it.

Nice firm cigar with minimal veins. The cold draw revealed a coffee/cocoa note.

Into the first 1/3, I'm greeted off the bat with a bit of pepper that quickly gave way to earth and sweet cedar and a bit of smokey tobacco flavor. Nearing the end of the first some of the cocoa from the cold draws makes an appearance.

The transition to the second is almost woody fruit flavor that is hard to pin down exactly. Cedar and earth or the main notes with the pepper mostly gone. At this point I felt I had possibly smoked this cigar or something similar, it really reminded me of a Nicaraguan puro, with the wood and earth, bit of pepper and cocoa.

The transition to the last third the cocoa really popped at this point but quickly faded. The main note reminded me a bit of menthol, warm in the mouth bit like that nasal clearing menthol heat. A couple times the woody fruit note tried to return but the menthol like warmth over took it each time. The last bit really wasn't for me and I was pretty sure I had smoked something very similar before.

The construction of the cigar is near flawless, with the only issue being me taking too much time in the last third and letting it partially extinguish. Other wise the burn line, the draw and smoke output were perfect. The ash was super firm, holding on for over 2 inches at a time. Total smoke time was just under 2 hrs.

Went back through my notes and this is about the same experience I had with the Grimalkin, so that's my guess...don't think I'll have a guess on my second take unless it's as similar a profile as this one was to me.  

I would rate this one in the database as a 4, only because the last bit was just too much for me, the middle third was a perfect blend for my tastes.

That ash though...
This is not the admin you're looking for...

ninfiction

Blind Geek Pass cigar #7 - 05venturer

This cigar was a 6x50 Toro, according to my measurements. Nice firm cigar with a dark oily wrapper and minimal veins. The cold draw produced only hints of molasses and the draw seemed perfect.

Upon lighting it up I was greeted with a sugary sweetness combined with a little bit of earth and nuts, resembling root beer...the smoke left a nice dry feel in the mouth. Really enjoyed the profile at this point.

Moving into the second third, a little bit of pepper on the tongue and retro was added to the mix. About 2 1/2 inches in the draw really became an issue, almost like it was plugged. The cigar was burning but it was a lot of work to get any amount of smoke into my mouth. Up to this point I was really digging the flavors but with all the work to get just a taste of the smoke I became frustrated and I think I may have screwed up my palette a bit. I struggled thru most of the 2nd third and almost put it down, but removed the band and it was like I un-kinked a hose. The smoke came pouring out.

Never have smoked a cigar where the band had a choke hold on the cigar like that, but I have to assume that's what the issue was. I tried using a poker, rolling the cigar in my fingers, there were no hard spots. It's possible I burned past the plug too but just seemed really weird that right after I took the band off it opened right up.

Into the last 3rd it started out a little bitter, but I'm thinking that was due to all the work I put in to get some smoke from it before I removed the band. My mouth was a little fried at this point too but I could still taste the earth and nuts with the addition of some leather. Even the original hints of sweetness were trying to make a comeback.

The overall construction was great...I'm assuming my plug issue wasn't a plug but was from the stranglehold the band had on the cigar. The ash was solid and held on for almost the entire last 3rd. The burn was a little wonky when I was having my issue but before and after was razor sharp.

Whatever this is I'm going to give it another go and do a new review, not going to post this one in the db. It was really good and right up my alley when it smoked correctly.

**Not sure if the issue is because those bands are more of a plastic than all paper and maybe they just don't expand at all. Might want to pull them off upon lighting up though just in case.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

appollo

The cigar I smoked for the first review is the Venture #10.

This has a nice dark almost seamless  wrapper.I spot a couple of good size viens in this stick.The wrapper seems to be a little lumpy but is nice and firm with no soft spots.This is the first stick I,ve smoked with a closed foot so this is a new experience.It also has  a pigtail with a triple cap.I don't have a ring gauge but I would guess it at a 50 or 52 and about 6-3/8 inches long.There is also a small imperfection in the wrapper about 2 inches from the cap.

The stick has a nice sweet smell to it like an earthy chocolate.,when I cut the cap the cold draw is very similar.when I cut the cap one of the capa come loose and requires it to be wetted down..So lets spark this baby up.

It fires up very easily,I can't believe the smoke that pours off this stick and it continues all the way through.You would not be able to smoke this stick inside without smoking everyone out.The smoke has a real nice earthy nutty smell very pleasant.In this third the finish stays fairly short the taste I get are earthy ,almond with some very lite chocolate the retro is a little pepper.I notice also this is a very slow burner.The smoke output is not as much as I like but it does't effect the flavour profile.

As the second third starts 50min later the smoke output has increased and the finish has gotten longer the major players in the flavour profile stay the same and I don't detect any new flavours .When its coming to the end of this third it hits the small imperfection in the wrapper it does get worse but doesn't seem to hinder the performance of the stick,I'm very thankful this because it is  a very good stick.

The last third starts and I am sorry to see this because it has been a very enjoyable stick .The flavour stays the same and that great I like all the flavours I am getting.The smoke output is now where I like it and the finish is getting longer.This stick stayed smooth the whole way thru with no bitterness anywhere in the stick.

This was a very good stick and would certainly smoke more ,but do put some time aside for it .The total smoke time was 2hr.25min.The ash was a medium grey and held on for one to two inches at a time.The strength of the stick was a medium.There were some construction issues with the cap and the flaw in the wrapper but it didn't effect the stick.

appollo

Cigar smoked Venture#4

This is a nice looking stick with a fairly smooth medium brown wrapper and appears almost seamless.It has a nice firm pak with no soft spots.The veining is very minimual with a nice triple cap.The stick measures about 6-1/4 inches long and I believe a 52 gauge.The stick has a very slight sweet tobacco smell to it on on cutting the end the cold draw is the same.

The draw on this stick is very tight and I have to cut it three times to get it to were I think  it  is smokeable.it fires up nicely but right off the get go the burn is wonky and needs a touch-up.The draw is stiill tight and I roll it between my fingers to loosen it up ,it does seem to help.The smoke output is not up to plentiful by any means and it requires coaxing to get enough for some taste.The ash is a nice light grey, is very solid and falls off three times through the entire stick.

The first third starts with a big blast of pepper and stays for about the first five minute sand then tapers off.At this point the finish is long ands stays there on the back of your tongue until the next draw.As the pepper subsides a cedar comes into play with a little spice on the retro.All the while the draw remains fairly snug and the smoke volume stay slow.Near the end of this third the finish gets a little shorter.

The second third starts off with a little more smoke output but the taste profile stays very consistant.a couple times during this third I detect a little cocoa with a fleeting taste of some cream but just on a couple draws.It requires another touch=up at one stage during this third

the last third starts off with another increase in smoke volume but it still isn't enough to my liking.The finish stays fairly short and a little of the pepper comes back.There is also a little spice.The cocoa is gone an the cedar is back as the dominate flavor.with about a inch left I put this baby to bed its starting to get a little hot.

The stick lasts for about 1hr.35min.,the strength is a medium at best maybe at the high end of mild .I feel the tightness of the draw effected the performance of this stick.I just couldn't get it to open up enough.The smoke volume stayed low.the stick did stay smooth in taste and didn't get bitter anywhere in the smoke that was a plus.The flavours weren't bad they were just a little on the mild side.I would enjoy it better if the draw was better and a higher volume of smoke.

ebernabe

I smoked a "6  05 Venturer".  I apologize for the delay and no picture.

Before I lit it, the cigar had a nice prelight aroma and no draw problems.  The first impression I got was a leathery/grilled beef and pepper flavor which turned into a cinnamon taste that was strong.  The leather returned and mixed with the cinnamon for the remainder of the cigar.  Throughout the cigar, I would detect hints of a rasin flavor every now and then.  I  really liked the taste of the cigar.

This cigar burned very nice and even.  The only problem was I lit it while driving and I had to fix the burn (my fault for lighting while driving).  

Nice appearance on the wrapper, no draw problems and no bitterness near the end of the smoke.  I would smoke this again knowing what I know about it currently.  

The cigar smoked for about one hour and twenty-five minutes.

nirab

Blind Geek Review - #9- 05venturer

Good looking, reddish brown wrapper, with a couple of veins running down the side. Well packed, with a nice, spicy scent off of the foot. Lit up, and first flavors are a dash of pepper, spicy oak, and a wisp of cocoa. There is also a slight "tang" to it, and I find the cigar starting out with a corojo type flavor profile. Further in, and the spicy oak adds a touch of sweetness, and the tangy aftertaste picks up. The last third finds the sweetness dropping out, with the cocoa and oak picking up just a bit. Burn, ash and draw were perfect. It was not complex by any means, but it was a very enjoyable smoke. A solid 3.5 star cigar.  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ebernabe

My second review for the Blind Pass.

I smoked a 13 Ninfiction.  The cigar had a beautiful dark wrapper.  The prelight aroma was pleasant along with a good draw.

First impression I got after lighting the cigar was a pecan ice cream flavor which quickly turned to a peppery and chocolate mix of flavors.  Later, the cigar was giving a whiskey/bourbon flavor with a sweetness that reminded me of the cherries that are in the "Chrismas fruitcakes".

The cigar got bitter with about one and a quarter inch left.  The cigar required no relights and just two touch ups because of a slight breeze outside.

I found this cigar to be pleasant and enjoyable and would smoke again.  3.5 stars on the Geek Ratining.

nirab

Blind Pass Review #14 ninfiction

Good looking, firm, box pressed torpedo. Well packed, no veining, with a dark, somewhat dry wrapper. Lit up easy, and first flavors are pepper, pepper, and more pepper! Very Pepinesque. A bit more in, and I'm getting a deep cocoa, charred oak, and honey mixing in with the pepper. Past the half point, and the pepper drops a bit, but not much. The cocoa is much more pronounced, and the oak becomes sweeter. Finishes off the same, with the pepper picking back up. Burn and ash were great, with the draw a bit on the tight side. Smoke production was still good, despite the tight draw. I really enjoyed this cigar, and man, did I tell you it had some pepper in it? Very nice indeed. A solid 4 star smoke.
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

05Venturer

12:26 pm 7/30/15

This cigar is the #31 put from quickme and was reviewed blind for the Blind Geeks Pass.
Enjoyed this cigar with ice water
Nice light colored wrapper with a few small veins and slightly visible seams, aroma is very light tobacco. Cigar is a robusto size.
Cap clipped nicely with my Xikar X4 cutter. Prelight draw is very good with flavors of grass & hay
Toasted up and lit with a Triple flame Bugatti lighter.
First flavors I get are very light tobacco and some hay, retrohale is a peppery spice.
Draw is effortless and burn is spot on for the first 1/2 with the ash holding on well until tapped off. Smoke volume is nearly non-existent when cigar is at rest.
Pepper is pretty much the dominating force thru the first 1/2, with some allspice.
Second ½ is still mostly spice with light tobacco and some woody notes. Cigar seems to be burning quickly even though I am trying to really take my time to get a good take on this stick, giving it a lot of rest between puffs.
Getting close to the end and a bit of cinnamon comes into play along with a touch of ammonia with still a lot of pepper on retrohale.
Overall very well constructed cigar with a great draw and burn, not really in my wheelhouse as it is quite mild for my tastes. Some slight complexities but again very mild for my personal tastes.
The main flavor contributors were spice and pepper for me.
Smoke time about 45 minutes.
3 ½ stars

Cigar was revealed to be a RyJ Short Churchill
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Kid Montana

Tonight's cigar is Appollo 11, or #11 put by Appollo.  Its a 6"x52, pretty classic toro vitola with a very nicely made cap, good heft and feel, with a beautiful shiny light colorado wrapper, just on the natural side of colorado.  It really is a nice looking cigar with a fairly frail wrapper.  Pre-light draw is nice and even with a tingle of pepper on the lips and tongue.  First puff made me think "Cuban" but the follow on notes of sharp wood and grass made me think not.  The cigar tastes mild, but pleasant on the balance, very Honduran, could be a Rocky Patel Edge or maybe a Montecristo White Label.   Occasional notes of leather, some nice smooth creaminess on the finish.  The smoke rests on the the back of the tongue nicely.  There is an outside chance its a cuban but I'm skeptical.  The profile seems to improve as I smoke into the cigar, with a little bit of spicy sweentess, a tingle of pepper on the back of the mouth and a creamy smooth rich retrohale.  Overall its a smooth, nice medium to mild smoke with some great characteristics. I prefer a fuller profile so for me its only 4 out of 5 stars but fans of milder cigars will give more.

I'd rather have a cigar...

05Venturer

Blind Reviews complete thus far are as follows

ninfiction:  #5- Remember Cuba RC52 Torpedo
                 #7 DE Undercrown Gran Toro

ebernabe:   #6 Gurkha Ghost Shadow
                  #13 CAO Flathead V554

Apollo:        #4 Emilio La Musa Mousa (formerly Grimalkin) torpedo
                  #10 DE Nica Rustica

Nirab:          #9 LFD Colorado Oscuro #3
                   #14 Oliva V Melanio Maduro Torpedo

kidmontana:  #11 AVO Classic #2

Interesting so far :cool:
Kent

Kid Montana

Tonight I'm smoking my second take, #15 put by Ebernabe.  Its a 5"x50, shiny, lumpy toothy wrapper with a beautifully applied cap, good heft and firmness.  Pre-light aroma is just earthy tobacco.   Initial puffs are strong, leather, a hint of black pepper on the sides of the tongue, with a draw on the tight side.  Fans of full bodied cigars will enjoy this one, slow burning, huge volumes of smoke, strong flavors that linger.  The burn is even, ash is beautiful alternating bands of white and dark grey, its a rich, complex, strong cigar.  By the middle third the strength subsided a bit but the complexity and full-flavor did not, strong ligero notes and I'm thinking this is not a puro, rather a blend of many different excellent tobaccos.   The wrapper reminds me of a Mexican San Andreas with some great complexity and good punchy flavors.  All in all this is a very enjoyable cigar, on par with a Padron x000 series, AKA Respect or maybe a strong Viaje or LFD Ligero.  4.5 stars out of 5.

05Venturer

Daniels second blind smoke #15 was a - 601 Serie Steel Rod (5 x 54, NIC)

Thanks so far guys :dancing:  :bigthumbs:
Kent

Kid Montana

I think this pass format is a strong candidate for a repeat, Blind Geeks Pass II.  05Venturer doesn't have to host every iteration, but if somebody picks up the mantle and starts another round, I'm IN.

bmac7754

I am reviewing mthomason1980 #26

I picked up this cigar because I am a huge fan of the Maduro cigars and this looked really appetizing to me.  It has a dray look to it, some rough bumps, and a nice even double cap that cut very cleanly using my V cutter.  The pre-draw was sorta fruity and just the right restriction.

The first third - I was picking up on a strong leather, fruitiness flavor profile with a citrus spice on the finish.

The Second third - Still getting that leather flavor and now a sweetness like molasses and a light coffee note coming in.  Not much spice now at all but leaving a coating in the mouth.

The last third - During the last phase the flavors started turning into a mocha blended with leather, and a oak flavored wood.  Also the citrus spice started to come back on the finish.

This cigar had a nice draw, great aroma, but had issues with uneven burn as I had to touch it up at least 4 times during the smoking period.  If I had to guess this is some sort of San Andres wrapper based on the flavors and the blue tinted smoke.

This cigar took me just about an hour so smoke, I would say it starts off medium and became full strength by the midway point.  

Overall - This is a great tasting cigar that I really enjoyed, the burning issues was disappointing and really knocked the score down for me.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

05Venturer

3pm 8/9/15
#32 quickme / Black Lotus from Dominion Cigars reviewed Bild for the Blind Geeks Pass
Enjoying this smoke with ice water
Beautiful construction with a dark maduro nearly seamless wrapper, prelight draw is just right with flavors of tobacco and cocoa
First puffs were of earth and pepper, heavy spice on the retrohale. peppery spice is really hitting me towards the back of my throat. Pepper fading a bit after about first inch, getting some leathery notes added to the spice and earth. Ash was holding on nicely until I tapped it off at about 2 inch mark, when I also had to do a bit of touch up on the burn.
Smoke volume is plentiful thru the first ½ but burn is steadily wandering and has required 4 touch ups thus far.
Second ½, leather coming in a bit stronger along with a hint of allspice adding to the great flavors of this cigar. Burn required 1 touchup during the start of the 2nd ½ and then straightened up for the remainder of the smoke. Total smoke time 95 minutes
Overall really nice smoke other than the few burn issues, nice complexity for what I would call a medium/full smoke. This cigar is right in my wheelhouse and I am excited to find out what it is. I really have enjoyed smoking a few cigars "blindly" to put away all pre-determinations of what I am smoking.  4 stars****
Kent

bmac7754

I am smoking 08- 05Venturer

This is a big cigar measuring in at 6x60.  It has a medium brown shaded wrapper.  This cigar is packed firmly, has a few large veins.  I cut the cap with my V-cutter making an "X" pattern and the draw was perfect just like that.

First Third - Starts off with a chocolate and leather flavor, and a tangy spice on the finish.

Second Third - I was picking up on a cedar note and the leather is still present.  Not much of a spice while smoking bu getting a citrus tang in between puffing

Final Third - Moving into the last stage it still has a leather background, come coffee notes and that citrus tang.  All mixed well with a down to earth tobacco flavor

The smoke output is huge.  Gives off a blue smoke after puffing and the smoke exhaled is dark gray.  The ash was dark in color but thick and strong.  I might of ashed this one only 3 times.  I had a perfect burn line, and the draw was just right.

Overall - This was a great tasting cigar which requires plenty of time to smoke which was just about 1 hour and 20 minutes.  I should of eaten first because this sat strong with me.

And oh because this is Kent's cigar I thought i would use the Kent nub holder.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

StogieDad

This review is for sjn1117 #20.

A slightly oily sheen to a paper-bag brown wrapper, with some small but noticeably veining, and noticeably seams.  However, the fill is nice and firm, producing a perfect draw.  Smoke production is nice and thick, and the burn is good, wandering a tad but always correcting itself.  I nice firm, stark white ash holds nicely for about an inch and a half, tapping to reveal a perfect cone.  All in all, performance is above average on this one.

Starts out fairly light and mild, with some light wood and clean tobacco notes.  Just a bit of a sourness in the background.  Soon, there is a nice gentle spice that enters making this a very enjoyable start.  Towards the midpoint of the smoke, it is consistent with the start, with just a bit of intensity growing from the spice, and less of the clean tobacco note.  Unfortunately, soon after the midway mark, it develops a sour, ashy note the builds and is tamping down the enjoyable parts.  Not particularly terrible, but not a good complement to the nice start.  Definitely affected my opionion of a cigar I rather enjoyed for the first half.  Maybe I just cought a bad leaf or something, as really I was enjoying this one for the first half.  3 stars, but would have been a 3.5-4 if judging what I experienced in the first half.

So what did I smoke?
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

05Venturer

QuoteStogieDad - 8/12/2015  1:42 PM

This review is for sjn1117 #20.

A slightly oily sheen to a paper-bag brown wrapper, with some small but noticeably veining, and noticeably seams.  However, the fill is nice and firm, producing a perfect draw.  Smoke production is nice and thick, and the burn is good, wandering a tad but always correcting itself.  I nice firm, stark white ash holds nicely for about an inch and a half, tapping to reveal a perfect cone.  All in all, performance is above average on this one.

Starts out fairly light and mild, with some light wood and clean tobacco notes.  Just a bit of a sourness in the background.  Soon, there is a nice gentle spice that enters making this a very enjoyable start.  Towards the midpoint of the smoke, it is consistent with the start, with just a bit of intensity growing from the spice, and less of the clean tobacco note.  Unfortunately, soon after the midway mark, it develops a sour, ashy note the builds and is tamping down the enjoyable parts.  Not particularly terrible, but not a good complement to the nice start.  Definitely affected my opionion of a cigar I rather enjoyed for the first half.  Maybe I just cought a bad leaf or something, as really I was enjoying this one for the first half.  3 stars, but would have been a 3.5-4 if judging what I experienced in the first half.

So what did I smoke?

#20- Oliva/ Studio Tabac Serie O Toro
Kent

Cfickter

this will be a review of #21 Kid MontanaAccording to the Cigarometer it is 6X0  (toro). Nice dark wrapper, not overly oily, moderately veined. You  can see the wrap lines fairly well. Well constructed with just the slightest  give, the cap is very nice and looks to be triple capped.

Cold draw has tones of  chocolate and mace (this spice, not the pepper spray).Cut using a  v-cut, lit using a CG Spill. the first hot draws continue to show the chocolate  flavor along with a little bit of earth tones. There is also a depth to the  flavors and a bit of creaminess. A retro-hale shows a little pepper. The burn  starts a little wonky but I will attribute that to lighting using the spill on a  slight windy day.

About half way thru the first third it is almost caught up.  The ash is flaky and a medium grays with darker bands.

Going into the second  third, the cap is holding very well. The burn has corrected itself, all is well.  Chocolate continues to be the flavor of the day, but now you are starting to get  some of the pepper from the first third retro-hale show up still some of the  earlier earth tones also remain

Last third, Construction wise this has been a  solid stick, cap continues to hold up well. Burn line and rate a near perfect.  Ash has generally lightened up a bit, but holds very well. Starting to get a  ligero taste on the tongue and the heat is also picking up. It was a long smoke  lasting an hour and 40 minutes

All in all a very nice cigar, very enjoyable,  classic maduro profile. Like the L&B Maduro by Oscar only the roll was a bit  rougher. Trying to guess would be difficult, there too many cigars that meet  this profile

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

QuoteCfickter - 8/15/2015  4:18 PM

this will be a review of #21 Kid MontanaAccording to the Cigarometer it is 6X0  (toro). Nice dark wrapper, not overly oily, moderately veined. You  can see the wrap lines fairly well. Well constructed with just the slightest  give, the cap is very nice and looks to be triple capped.

Cold draw has tones of  chocolate and mace (this spice, not the pepper spray).Cut using a  v-cut, lit using a CG Spill. the first hot draws continue to show the chocolate  flavor along with a little bit of earth tones. There is also a depth to the  flavors and a bit of creaminess. A retro-hale shows a little pepper. The burn  starts a little wonky but I will attribute that to lighting using the spill on a  slight windy day.

About half way thru the first third it is almost caught up.  The ash is flaky and a medium grays with darker bands.

Going into the second  third, the cap is holding very well. The burn has corrected itself, all is well.  Chocolate continues to be the flavor of the day, but now you are starting to get  some of the pepper from the first third retro-hale show up still some of the  earlier earth tones also remain

Last third, Construction wise this has been a  solid stick, cap continues to hold up well. Burn line and rate a near perfect.  Ash has generally lightened up a bit, but holds very well. Starting to get a  ligero taste on the tongue and the heat is also picking up. It was a long smoke  lasting an hour and 40 minutes

All in all a very nice cigar, very enjoyable,  classic maduro profile. Like the L&B Maduro by Oscar only the roll was a bit  rougher. Trying to guess would be difficult, there too many cigars that meet  this profile

Revealed as a #21 EP Carrillo Edicion Limitada 2013
Kent

05Venturer

Blind Pass Members please put reviews here first
Then you will get your reveal
Then you put it in the database
Kent

bmac7754

Sorry Kent I couldn't resist 

StogieDad

Kid Montana #22

I nice looking stick with a solid box press.  A very oily wrapper surrounds a even, fully packed cigar.  Dark and beautiful, there are a few small splotches but a very attractive smoke indeed.  The burn was mostly behaved, requiring a couple touch-ups to keep it in line, but acceptable overall.  The ash was stark white, and while it held nicely, was quite soft and just fell apart when tapped.  Smoke production was nice and thick.

Started out with a nice black pepper kick and lots of earthiness.  Surprisingly the pepper subsided within the first inch, giving way to black coffee and slightly bitter dark chocolate notes.  Still a ton of earthiness going on.  Around the midway point, strong black coffee is dominating the smoke for.  Just a bit of a hard to place slightly sour note in the background, but in a good way.  Leather plays in nicely at this point as well.  A very rich smoke that finishes strong with charred oak and more coffee, with the leather and a slightly salty note playing in as well.

A very enjoyable smoke that is an easy 4 for me.

What a fun pass guys!  Thanks for running it Kent!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.