Anyone interested in a CG Site/Server Fundraiser?

Started by sar127, 09/23/2015 10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone interested in a CG Site/Server Fundraiser?

YES!

sar127

The site's recent issues actually made me stop and realize how much time and effort must go into maintaining a site like this. I've only been here a short time but judging by what I've gained from my experience here, my financial support is long overdue. This is just a feeler thread to see if others feel the same way and might be interested in brainstorming a way to contribute.

1. We could either do a straight fundraiser or an auction like CG's Toys for Tots. I say we keep it simple and if members wish to create their own contests to fuel the drive, they're welcome to. I'd be more than happy to organize/run the thread and perhaps SenorPablo can setup a Poopal where all the money can be collected.

2. I don't mean to step on ANY toes here at all, it's just a thought I had: Since we already have 2 LARGE fundraisers a year for charities, would adding a third annual one be too much? If so, would alternating between a charity year and a CG year make it more feasible? 

What are your questions, concerns, inputs?

Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

05Venturer

Lets do this!!!! ( I would have posted my reply earlier but the site was acting up LOL)
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

SenorPablo

Good timing.  Since we've been down for the past few hours.  It seems like once a year my hosting provider has serious issues with a server and requires me pushing them to move to a new one.  Since I just recently upgraded to a larger server it isn't the case of size.  So money won't really help.  I just need to either finally move to a new provider, which is painful giving all the content we have to move - or push on the hosting guys to get it fixed.  Appreciate the thoughts though.  Believe me, if it becomes a financial issue, I will certainly go asking for help before doing anything drastic. :-)

Also, I have been working feverishly over the past year to re-write everything on a more stable platform (i.e. not f'ing Microsoft).  When that is complete, it will make a big difference.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

05Venturer

QuoteSenorPablo - 9/24/2015  7:03 AM

Good timing.  Since we've been down for the past few hours.  It seems like once a year my hosting provider has serious issues with a server and requires me pushing them to move to a new one.  Since I just recently upgraded to a larger server it isn't the case of size.  So money won't really help.  I just need to either finally move to a new provider, which is painful giving all the content we have to move - or push on the hosting guys to get it fixed.  Appreciate the thoughts though.  Believe me, if it becomes a financial issue, I will certainly go asking for help before doing anything drastic. :-)

Also, I have been working feverishly over the past year to re-write everything on a more stable platform (i.e. not f'ing Microsoft).  When that is complete, it will make a big difference.

-Paul

Thanks Paul :thumbsup:
As I'm sure you already know if there is anything we can do to help just ask brother.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Can't imagine what it takes to keep us Geeks happy.  Paul just let us know how we can help.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

Yeah we were discussing Rob's proposal on the herf the other night.  Offer is always on the table if you need it. Plenty of us have made life-long friends here, and would go to great lengths to keep it going.  

:bigthumbs:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

cavenbk

QuoteBrlesq - 9/24/2015 5:11 PM Offer is always on the table if you need it. Plenty of us have made life-long friends here, and would go to great lengths to keep it going. :bigthumbs:

What he said :bigthumbs:

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Jackal

Paul, is there any data migration, optimization, reformatting work that you could farm out to any of our tech minded geeks, that would help you in transferring this site into a more stable platform?

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Mojo66

QuoteJackal - 9/24/2015  7:04 PM  Paul, is there any data migration, optimization, reformatting work that you could farm out to any of our tech minded geeks, that would help you in transferring this site into a more stable platform?

x2

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

bigjohn20081983

I wonder if there are some code monkey geeks that could help as well. I however am not one of them. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=code+monkey
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Cigary

Just a big Thank You for everything you do Paul....as you said it's not easy to run this place and if you ever run into financial issue I know everybody here would ensure that this place keeps going.  If I was able to splice two wires together without getting electrocuted I'd help out....but that is about all the knowledge I have about what there is to do.

SenorPablo

Appreciate the offers guys!  Don't worry, I'll come asking for help if it comes to that point.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.