Air Purifiers

Started by mcdimond, 11/07/2009 09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdimond

I choose to not smoke in the house, to make sure no objectionable aromas linger. However...

I am thinking of getting an air purifier so I could enjoy the occasional cigar inside. Has anybody found one that works really well? Got any recommendations or experiences to share?
Michael

Fun Fact:
Groucho Marx suffered from insomnia, which he claimed was due to a financial loss in the stock market. When he suffered from insomnia, he used to call people up in the middle of the night and insult them. In the 1950s Groucho was invited to take a tour of the New York Stock Exchange. While in the observation booth, he grabbed the public address system handset and began singing "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". Upon hearing silence coming from the trading floor, he walked into view, was given a loud cheer by the traders, and shouted, "Gentlemen, in 1929 I lost eight hundred thousand dollars on this floor, and I intend to get my money's worth!" For fifteen minutes, he sang, danced, told jokes, and all this time, the Wall Street stock ticker was running blank.

ROTHNH

IMHO, in this day and age we're dinosaurs as smokers -- in my family (immediate and extended), no one else smokes anymore, so one of the "problems" with all this is we find ourselves (at least I do) tackling this "issue" on our own and it's natural to feel we're doing so in a "vacuum."  In the "good old days" you could smoke in any bar or restaurant; smoking was OK at work and even in elevators.  A smokeless ashtray was our concession to non-smokers or those with lung problems. But as society became less accepting of smokers we scrambled to "clear the air."  This evolved (devolved?), more recently (10-15 years ago) when ozone, ion, HEPA filter table top units were popular.

I've tried many of these "table top" units, including Oreck, Sharper Image, Czonka and a host of others, priced as high as $400.

Most of the pricier units as above "work" to a certain degree, but I've never used one that actually does the job as well as it should when it comes to being placed in a room (all of these are for average sized rooms), especially rooms in a home or work place where one or more smokers live and regularly spend time smoking.

I've come to the realization that you have to spend a *LOT* of money to get anything that gets your designated room area anywhere close to a "smoke free" environment -- a unit that addresses all the pollution "components" that make up smoke -- you have a particle component (ash), poisonous gas component (carbon monoxide for example), an offending odor component and the "tar" in the smoke that sticks to everything -- all these come together to constitute our "smoke" problem.
After doing my "homework," having spent considerable coin on units that "work" from mediocre to so-so, and since I don't want to spend $600 to thousands to take a chance on something that actually cleans the air properly and completely, I don't smoke inside the house and haven't done so for years.  I'm thinking a lot of smokers (I haven't smoked cigarettes for years either) are relegated to smoking outside the home, or in a "man cave," workshop, garage -- a "personal space" place where other family members and non-smoking guests do not congregate -- or at a cigar lounge or private club (less and less cities/states allow smoking in public areas).

I'll assume your thoughts on this is a "man cave" type area -- a room in your home where you can segregate yourself and smoke without "polluting" the whole house.  

Assuming that, it's still wise to avoid what I call the "band-aid" table top units and get something that actually works.  I'll also assume that you realize (or will once you research it as I have) that to do that, you have to spend *mucho dinero* -- but sometimes a unit that retails for a lot of money can be acquired for less with knowledge and a little luck.

Here's a good place to start to "get educated:"  http://www.smokeeaters.org/

Then begins the slow process of research and decision making after weighing the information and your actual goals.

If you're persistent and realize you have to spend (what I consider) a lot of money, you can eventually find some that works great for your application.  For example, a lot of restaurants and clubs are selling off their commercial "SmokeEater" units for cheap -- I remember reading about a cigar lounge in NJ  that saved a lot of money that way.  There's also Craig's List, eBay, etc.

I apologize for the long post here, but if you're read this far, you've the mind set to do the research and take the considerable amount of time it takes to find a unit that suits your requirements.

Sorry -- there's no "magic bullet" on this.  Best of luck to you!

gitfiddl

I just fart a lot.  It covers most of the cigar odor! :biggrin:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

mcdimond

So I have a low-cost DIY approach :lmao: and the higher priced option. I've done some preliminary research already, and I'll have to look at the units in the link.

Thanks!

Also, do people have experience with ionization units vs HEPA filtration?
Michael

Fun Fact:
Groucho Marx suffered from insomnia, which he claimed was due to a financial loss in the stock market. When he suffered from insomnia, he used to call people up in the middle of the night and insult them. In the 1950s Groucho was invited to take a tour of the New York Stock Exchange. While in the observation booth, he grabbed the public address system handset and began singing "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". Upon hearing silence coming from the trading floor, he walked into view, was given a loud cheer by the traders, and shouted, "Gentlemen, in 1929 I lost eight hundred thousand dollars on this floor, and I intend to get my money's worth!" For fifteen minutes, he sang, danced, told jokes, and all this time, the Wall Street stock ticker was running blank.

ROTHNH

Quotemcdimond - 11/7/2009  3:52 PM

So I have a low-cost DIY approach :lmao: and the higher priced option. I've done some preliminary research already, and I'll have to look at the units in the link.

Thanks!

You're welcome.  However, my point is that having been there, done that, the "Low cost approach" is dillusional, assuming, of course, you actually want something that really works.

Quotemcdimond - 11/7/2009  3:52 PM

Also, do people have experience with ionization units vs HEPA filtration?

Yes.  Both, actually.  ionization units are annoying because you have to spend a considerable amount of time, weekly, to clean all the brown tar off the insides of the damn thing.  The HEPA filtration units add the additional nuisance of having to purchase (usually expensive) HEPA (often separate charcoal ones too) replacement filters every 1-3 months, on average.

DonM

I do not smoke itn the house at all either.  My sister in law when she lived withus before she passed a couple of years ago had 1 room that she smoke cigarettes in (like a freight train I might ad).  WE could smell it throught the house even though it was one room and took forever th get the smell out.

I found a portable propane heater that looked pretty neat for those days that I want a Cigar and it too cold outside :biggrin:

I actually came across one yesterday on Heartfelts site, out of stock but I am sure that they got more coming.  Here is the link:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=52

"The Curmudgeon"

lowpro75

I don't smoke in the house either.  I have a bar about 2 minutes from my house that I can smoke a cigar in if I need one.  I'm there a few nights a week in the cold weather.  I would love to have a man cave to smoke in.  My brother, who lives about 10 minutes from me just set up a something in his attic.  He set up a fan blowing out his window and purchased an ozone air purifier.  We will be testing it tonight during the Eagles game to see how effective it is.  I'm looking forward to it.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

mcdimond

Quotelowpro75 - 11/8/2009  7:42 AM
...purchased an ozone air purifier.  We will be testing it tonight during the Eagles game to see how effective it is.  I'm looking forward to it.

Let me know how well it works.

The trouble with winter in Oregon is not the cold so much as the rain... While I do have a cigar bar reasonably close by, it would just be nice to be able to enjoy a cigar while curled up in an easy chair with a book or watching a movie at home. I live in hope!
Michael

Fun Fact:

Hound10

I just spent $200 on a couple used shop heaters and an olllllllllllddddd tv(that way i don't feel bad when it freezes at -45C).

Put it in my garage and voila - hockey,cigars, happy wife.

What more can a guy ask for?
"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics"

lowpro75

Quotemcdimond - 11/8/2009  11:30 AM

...purchased an ozone air purifier.  We will be testing it tonight during the Eagles game to see how effective it is.  I'm looking forward to it.

The trouble with winter in Oregon is not the cold so much as the rain... While I do have a cigar bar reasonably close by, it would just be nice to be able to enjoy a cigar while curled up in an easy chair with a book or watching a movie at home. I live in hope!

This worked pretty well.  The smoke didn't linger and after we were done the room didn't seem to smell of smoke.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nwb

Quotemcdimond - 11/8/2009  11:30 AM

Don't know if you've heard, but here in GA, we have had a LOT of rain lately, enough to cause some major flooding.  I have never and never will smoke indoors, so I most often smoke in my garage with the garage door open.  If it gets cold, I plug in a space heater that does the job.  I'm guessing you don't have a garage?

nwb
Chief of Shaft

mcdimond

Quotenwb - 11/9/2009  4:42 AM
I'm guessing you don't have a garage?

nwb

The garage is being converted into living space.
Michael

Fun Fact:

mcdimond

This unit combines the various air-cleansing methods (Carbon, HEPA, Ionic, UV) and processes 106 cu ft per minute.

http://www.mercantila.com/p/surround-air-multi-tech-intelli-pro-air-purifier

While there is no magic bullet, I wonder if this would reduce the amount of time it takes to de-odorize a room.
Michael

Fun Fact:

DonM

Quotemcdimond - 11/9/2009  11:54 AM

Quotenwb - 11/9/2009  4:42 AM
I'm guessing you don't have a garage?

nwb

The garage is being converted into living space.

I dont either.  I live in a condo, so in the evening I go to the pool to have a cigar.  Some of the old bags in the complex really love me :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.