Happy Newbie Year Pass 2016

Started by Brlesq, 12/22/2015 06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brlesq

This is a thread generated automatically by the Cigar Pass system to discuss the Cigar Pass named 'Happy Newbie Year Pass 2016!'.

Use this link to return back to the Cigar Pass.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Brlesq

I ran a similar Pass in 2013 and will count it as a "success" since many of those "newbies" from back then are still around today as active members and great BOTLs, and some have even climbed up to Guru status!  You might even recognize a few of those "newbs" from back then:  Longhorn, Vroomp, tvolball, Otter, bmac7754, mpurtle01 and nkowal, to name a few. :lmao:

Target date to launch this is the first or second week of January, so sign up today!  Limiting this to 14 players.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Brlesq

It's almost a New Year, so what better time to give our newer members a chance to gain some experience and respect.  The purpose of this Pass is to show everyone how much fun passes can really be! This Pass is for members who have been in three (3) or less passes and have a "Veteran" status or higher, or by invitation.  Those outside of the US can play "virtually" and will need to pay shipping both ways (which is about the same cost as mailing a bigger box within the US anyway.) I will be happy to assist anyone with questions on value, puts, takes, etc. as the Pass moves along.  Or feel free to ask another FOG for advice . . . there is never shame in asking!

The cigars in this pass will have a 3.5 star (or better) rating and have strength of medium, medium-full or full. No mild cigars or dog-rockets welcome here! Infused cigars should be kept in a separate ziplock bag and not mingled with the rest of the cigars. Value of cigars will be between $3 and $20 dollars. Trade value should be done by comparing box prices first from well known sites (like CI, Famous, Atlantic, etc.)  Auction sites or "Crazy Eddie" cheap deal sites (like Cigar Page) should NOT be used to determine value. Average Member Purchase Price in the DB is not accurate either (because its usually much lower due to extreme savings).  

Rating: An average of 3.5 stars or better AND reviewed by at least 2 members (this eliminates reviews of 5 stars on one person's personal taste.)  Caveat: If the cigar is unrated or only has one reviewer but its sister cigar of the same blend but different size has average 3.5 stars or better, its fair game.  There may be other unforeseen exceptions, and all questions on ratings should be made to the moderator for final determination.

There will be a SURPRISE twist at the end of this pass upon its successful return home.  

As always, please respect the value in your puts and takes, and follow Cigar Pass Etiquette (link found here:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=37)

Most of all have fun, and Happy Newbie Year!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

bmac7754

Hey I remember that one.  I also remember recently smoking one of those cigars from it which you told me was well aged now.  I think it was the CAO Sopranos.  
Get in on Bruce's pass newbies, he won't leave you stranded like the other pass out there is doing.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

SparklePony

Woaa.  Brlesq moderating a pass?  That's amazing.
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

raize

Makes me wish I was still a newb.
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

ninfiction

If you need/want to mix in some experience, I'd be happy to play.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

danb6177

I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

millarddj

Sounds like I fit the criteria, so I'm happily in if you'll take me.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

raize

How the heck are you guys newbs and I'm not? Hmmm...
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Mojo66

I don't qualify but those that do should post up, limited number of Geeks will get to have fun on this one and I get the feeling this will be a good one.

But come to think of it Bruce, I joined CG right after the end of that 2013 pass of yours, so technically I would be a newbie... to this pass :shy:

Have fun with this one, will be watching the action.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

millarddj

Because evidently, the first 10 months you were on the site, you mostly just did passes! That got you up above 3.  :-)

I've been active in other areas, but this would only be my 3rd pass (unless Secret Santa counts?). At the rate the Fall 2015 pass is going, this might well complete first.  :biggrin:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Brlesq

Quoteraize - 12/22/2015  11:52 PM

How the heck are you guys newbs and I'm not? Hmmm...

Jason, you are welcome to join this one.  Even though you've been in more than 3 passes, a couple of those fell apart at some point, so we won't count them.   ;-)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

MacMac

I'm in! I think I meet the criteria!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

raize

Alright, screw it... Count me in.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Jay'D

Seeing I'm a newbie I shouldn't sound stupid asking this, but how does a virtual pass work really? Now due to my location, most of you may have noticed that my participation involves me ordering online and shipping it straight to an individual, which kinda sucks since the cigars are most likely fresh and not well aged and ready to smoke. I have stuff to share but due to the stupid law, the post office here don't ship cigars through the mail....damn Cuban foolishness.... :angry: Hopefully someday i will be able to fully participate in the passes and don't subject you guys to factory fresh cigars.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Brlesq

QuoteJay'D - 12/23/2015  4:58 PM

Seeing I'm a newbie I shouldn't sound stupid asking this, but how does a virtual pass work really? Now due to my location, most of you may have noticed that my participation involves me ordering online and shipping it straight to an individual, which kinda sucks since the cigars are most likely fresh and not well aged and ready to smoke. I have stuff to share but due to the stupid law, the post office here don't ship cigars through the mail....damn Cuban foolishness.... :angry: Hopefully someday i will be able to fully participate in the passes and don't subject you guys to factory fresh cigars.

Why can't you ship cigars through the mail in a US Territory?  Is it a different postal system?  :confused:

To answer your question:  Virtual players are stacked at the beginning or the end of the Pass when the box is in the moderator's possession. When it is the virtual player's turn, he picks the cigars he wants out of the list (his takes) and tells the moderator what he is sending (his puts).  The moderator mails his takes to him, and the player mails his puts to the moderator plus the cost of postage that the moderator incurred. But that is still the same cost or less to the virtual player than what it costs to ship a whole pass box with 20-40 cigars in it, and the additional benefit is avoiding all the customs duties he might get straddled with if a bunch of cigars come across the border.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

DonM

Very nice of you to kick this one off again Bruce!

What Bruce said, Shipping to Virgin Islands:

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab_029.htm

"The Curmudgeon"

Jay'D

QuoteBrlesq - 12/23/2015  7:29 PM

Why can't you ship cigars through the mail in a US Territory?  Is it a different postal system?  :confused:

To answer your question:  Virtual players are stacked at the beginning or the end of the Pass when the box is in the moderator's possession. When it is the virtual player's turn, he picks the cigars he wants out of the list (his takes) and tells the moderator what he is sending (his puts).  The moderator mails his takes to him, and the player mails his puts to the moderator plus the cost of postage that the moderator incurred. But that is still the same cost or less to the virtual player than what it costs to ship a whole pass box with 20-40 cigars in it, and the additional benefit is avoiding all the customs duties he might get straddled with if a bunch of cigars come across the border.

Thanks for explaining that, and to answer your question about my mailing issues. I live in the Brtitish Virgin Islands, right next to the USVI just a ferry boat ride away. I get my mails from the US through the USVI and use a mailing service to bring them over here. Its easy getting them in but due to how close we are to the USVI and easy access to Cuban cigars they are touchy when it comes to shipping cigars to the US. I do take a chance every now and again and take some Cubans over when I'm going over to the USVI.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Brlesq

QuoteJay'D - 12/23/2015  6:56 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 12/23/2015  7:29 PM

Thanks for explaining that, and to answer your question about my mailing issues. I live in the Brtitish Virgin Islands, right next to the USVI just a ferry boat ride away. I get my mails from the US through the USVI and use a mailing service to bring them over here. Its easy getting them in but due to how close we are to the USVI and easy access to Cuban cigars they are touchy when it comes to shipping cigars to the US. I do take a chance every now and again and take some Cubans over when I'm going over to the USVI.

Always interesting to learn about various shipping laws. Thanks
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Brlesq

QuoteMacMac - 12/23/2015  8:38 AM

I'm in! I think I meet the criteria!

Please click on the "Request to Join" button on the right of the home screen, Joe.

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

C130Driver

Okay, I'm definitely in, first pass take 2 here we go!
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

STL_Cohiba

I sent a request. I would love be to be part of this
"The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit." Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars" -Jack Nicholson

http://cigargeeks.com/humidor/default.asp?
action=humidor&member=STL%5FCohiba

plnortham

Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.