Boveda Recharge

Started by Longhorn, 01/05/2016 05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longhorn

Read the thread started by C130Driver about altering a foam humidification device and the subsequent posts about Boveda and recharging them.  

I do this frequently - my local B&M saves the Bovedas that come in the boxes they buy and I occasionally grab a handful when in the shop.

I found these divided Rubbermaid "Take-Alongs" for about $2.50 for a three pack at a local dollar store (Walmart, grocery stores carry them too) that are prefect for recharging.  Just add a little distilled water in the smaller reservoir, put the Bovedas in the other side, put the lid on it and... voila!

I maintain several to separate the different humidity levels (69, 72, etc.).  Trust me, you have to do this!

Once recharged, just put them in a zip-lock bag. Or, leave alone - they'll reach a saturation point and stop taking more moisture.

millarddj

Great example. Those dual-compartment containers look perfect. I will have to keep an eye out for these.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Gustoff

Thats a great idea! I was just contemplating the best way to facilitate a recharge of my bovedas. Problem solved!
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

ntanner

That is a good idea, I have always just used a large Ziploc with a small bowl of DW but those containers if nothing else would be neater in appearance and provide a more long term storage option.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

bmac7754

Great example Brad of how to recharge these.  Also for ideas check out this thread from Ted a while back. http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=26658.0

I also upgraded to the tuperware divider he used, and got to say I love it.  Seals tight, and never touches the water. 

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

bigjohn20081983

I like this idea  I just use a jar with a rubber seal that latches down and a whiskey glass. Just put the glass with distilled water in the jar toss the Boveda around the glass and seal it up and let it go.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

McBryde

I had one I left in mine way too long, and figured out that they will charge way over there percentage though!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Cfickter

Brad, great post and a money saving tip.  Been doing this for a little while now and works like a charm
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nirab

Great idea on the split container, Brad! I've been using a Tupperware container with a small bowl of distilled water in the middle and the Boveda packs positioned around the outside of the bowl...until now!!! Gonna pick up some of these containers this weekend. Thanks!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

benchjockey

Very helpful thread.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

C130Driver

At what point do you give them the recharge? I know they say they're done when they turn hard. Do you wait til that point or do you need to do the recharge before they are that far gone?
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

Longhorn

You can recharge at any time - even completely dried ones.

C130Driver

That's solid info. I have one I use for my travel humidor, but it's got a lot of life yet and it's the only one I've ever had. I must sheepishly admit when it started to dry out I was planning to recharge it and was under the impression you applied the water directly to the Boveda. So... thanks for the save. I was wondering how the paper survived.  :biggrin:  :biggrin:
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

ninfiction

QuoteC130Driver - 1/8/2016  8:49 AM

That's solid info. I have one I use for my travel humidor, but it's got a lot of life yet and it's the only one I've ever had. I must sheepishly admit when it started to dry out I was planning to recharge it and was under the impression you applied the water directly to the Boveda. So... thanks for the save. I was wondering how the paper survived.  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

I've used the submersion method a few times. The paper didn't break down at all, but I would think that it would eventually. It recharges much quicker soaking it but it really doesn't take too long with the non-soaking method.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.