A pipe! My kingdom (or at least some cigars...) for a pipe!

Started by millarddj, 02/11/2016 04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millarddj

I've had a couple of opportunities to smoke a pipe, once recently, and I am now absolutely in love with the idea of obtaining one for my own. I know there are some Geeks here that are also pipe smokers, and I've seen some posts and trades to this effect drifting around occasionally.

I've overspent myself a bit lately, and am currently on a bit of a freeze, but I thought I'd check to see if there are any Geeks hereabouts that have an extra pipe lying around that would be a solid starter unit, Better yet, perhaps a pipe and necessary accessories, that they might be willing to trade for some cigars.

I'm happy to negotiate a very fair exchange for you!  :biggrin:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

05Venturer

I'm your huckleberry. Give me some time and I'll set ya up :biggrin:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Mojo66

Man that was fast Kent, nice time reaction. :bigthumbs:

Have no mercy for Daniel, he's a force to be reckoned with, and a sneaky one at that  :shy:  :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

gitfiddl

Double on the huckleberry!  There's a cob with your name on it in the LMAO pass, Dan.  I've also got 20 or so estate Shalom factory briars that I've reworked/refinished.  I'll be more than happy to send you one or two, and a sampler of pipe tobaccos.  Let me do that, and then you can send me what you think they are worth in cigars.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

05Venturer

Quotegitfiddl - 2/11/2016  7:03 PM

Double on the huckleberry!  There's a cob with your name on it in the LMAO pass, Dan.  I've also got 20 or so estate Shalom factory briars that I've reworked/refinished.  I'll be more than happy to send you one or two, and a sampler of pipe tobaccos.  Let me do that, and then you can send me what you think they are worth in cigars.

Looks like Dave beat me to the punch :puncher: by already having a cob on the way in the LMAO Pass. Maybe I can hook you up on some baccy when we exchange the pass
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Camshaft83

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

millarddj

Wow you guys are awesome! I make a post, leave for a couple hours, and have a couple of offers and messages when I get back!

I'd be interested in picking out the corn cob and giving it a whirl, and would also like a longer-lasting, nicer pipe (I understand corn cobs aren't too sturdy and don't have a long life span) as well. I anticipate diving in the deep end with this.

Sounds like Dave is going to set me up right proper, but I'm still interested in swapping for some tobacco for sure!

Thanks a ton to Dave and Kent!
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

millarddj

QuoteMojo66 - 2/11/2016  7:00 PM

Have no mercy for Daniel, he's a force to be reckoned with, and a sneaky one at that  :shy:  :biggrin:

I was going to ask if you were speaking from experience, or just clairvoyant. I guess I know now. :biggrin:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

05Venturer

Quotemillarddj - 2/11/2016  10:51 PM

Wow you guys are awesome! I make a post, leave for a couple hours, and have a couple of offers and messages when I get back!

I'd be interested in picking out the corn cob and giving it a whirl, and would also like a longer-lasting, nicer pipe (I understand corn cobs aren't too sturdy and don't have a long life span) as well. I anticipate diving in the deep end with this.
!

The statement on corn cob pipes is untrue when speaking of Missouri Meerschaum Cobs, I have several that I have been smoking regularly for 5+ years with no signs of failure. Treat em right and they will last a long time. MM Cobs are my favorite pipes hands down :thumbsup:
Kent

gitfiddl

Quote05Venturer - 2/12/2016  7:07 AM
The statement on corn cob pipes is untrue when speaking of Missouri Meerschaum Cobs, I have several that I have been smoking regularly for 5+ years with no signs of failure. Treat em right and they will last a long time. MM Cobs are my favorite pipes hands down :thumbsup:

I think they smoke as well as any briar and God knows you can't beat the price.  As for longevity, I picked this one up in an "estate lot".  It's either a Missouri Meerschaum or a Herschl & Bendheim.  Either way, it's at least 25 years old.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

McBryde

Where does one go about getting a good deal on a Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipe? I have an old cheap Dr. Grabow pipe that I picked up somewhere along the way but am looking for something a little more. I have been thinking about wanting to try out a meerschaum pipe. I've heard that they are a lot better pipes. Y'alls thoughts?

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

05Venturer

QuoteMcBryde - 2/12/2016  10:38 AM

Where does one go about getting a good deal on a Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipe? I have an old cheap Dr. Grabow pipe that I picked up somewhere along the way but am looking for something a little more. I have been thinking about wanting to try out a meerschaum pipe. I've heard that they are a lot better pipes. Y'alls thoughts?

E
I do a lot of business with these guys>>>  http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/corn-cob-pipes/

They were actually bought by CI a few years back
Kent

gitfiddl

QuoteMcBryde - 2/12/2016  12:38 PM

E

If you're interested in corn cob pipes and you don't mind a ding here or there, you can't beat this deal:  http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

05Venturer

Quotegitfiddl - 2/13/2016  5:06 PM

QuoteMcBryde - 2/12/2016  12:38 PM

E

If you're interested in corn cob pipes and you don't mind a ding here or there, you can't beat this deal:  http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

I've gotten a couple of these grab bags, fantastic deal for sure
Kent

gitfiddl

And just as a matter of clarification for the uninitiated, there is a BIG difference between a "Missouri Meerschaum" and a true meerschaum pipe.  The former are made out of corncobs and/or American hardwoods and are durable as hell, where the latter are made from a white clay-like material and can be quite fragile.

McBryde

Yeah, the latter is supposed to smoke a lot cooler from what I remember correct?

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

McBryde

Funny story, I had found some deer antler along the way somewhere, and had a pile of corncobs laying around, as we grow corn on the farm here. I fenaggled a corn cob pipe of my own out of the pieces and it smoked pretty dang good. You definitely didn't want the deer antler heating up on you though, as it smells pretty bad when it does!

E

raize

An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

05Venturer

If your looking for something a bit "fancier" than a cob, Mr brog makes some fine pipes also at a reasonable price.

http://mrbrog.com/
Kent

jdwaynes1980

Quote05Venturer - 2/14/2016  11:28 AM

If your looking for something a bit "fancier" than a cob, Mr brog makes some fine pipes also at a reasonable price.

http://mrbrog.com/

I have a couple Mr. Brog pipes. Absolutely love my Lumberjack. It's as big as a beer can, and smokes flawlessly. Always get a perfect 2 + hour smoke out of it with maybe 1 relight if I let it sit too long, or have to put it down for anything.

It's great taking it to the local pipe shop as it gets quite a bit of attention.

Speaking of the local pipe shop, mine has a blend called Bob's Wacky Baccy, and it is great. I'll grab some for ya Kent, and maybe some of you other folks might get a little as well :D
Roll Tide!

McBryde

QuoteSpeaking of the local pipe shop, mine has a blend called Bob's Wacky Baccy, and it is great. I'll grab some for ya Kent, and maybe some of you other folks might get a little as well :D

Is it an aromatic Jeff?

E

Camshaft83

My wife bought me my pipe at a shop in Austin but here is a link to the importer. They have a good selection of meerschaum, briar, and cobs at pretty affordable prices.

http://www.paykocimports.com/tobacco-pipes/
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

McBryde

QuoteCamshaft83 - 2/15/2016  12:02 AM

My wife bought me my pipe at a shop in Austin but here is a link to the importer. They have a good selection of meerschaum, briar, and cobs at pretty affordable prices.

I'm thinking my wife wouldn't like it if I got this pipe:

http://www.paykocimports.com/large-adult-burlesque-meerschaum-pipe-by-paykoc-_062319/

E

McBryde

QuoteCamshaft83 - 2/15/2016  12:02 AM

That place has some really good deals on starter meerschaum pipes. Thanks for the link!

E

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.