Birthday Bomber Idea

Started by headfirst, 03/02/2016 01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headfirst

I've been thinking about how birthdays are a big deal to most people but around here it's mostly just :party: or :happybday:.  With the over-the-top generosity around here that just doesn't seem right somehow.

So, what if we tried basically a year long Secret Birthday Bomber Exchange?  I'd be willing to facilitate it.  It would run similar to Rebecca's Secret Santa exchange:  everyone throw their hat in initially who is interested (with similar limitations on tenure and activity to qualify) and I will scramble names to identify who bombs who, then let it run for a year.  I will let you know initially who it is you're gifting and then give you a reminder when the person's birthday is approaching.  Then you get to help make someone's birthday all the more special and someone makes your birthday more special as well, win win!  We can have a running thread where the opened brithday gifts are posted, you can exclaim how it's exactly what you always wanted and we can all ooh and aah at the birthday haul.

For right now just let me know here or via PM if you're interested.  If there are enough people wanting to do it then I'll set up more thorough guidelines to make sure it's a quality experience for all and pick a start and end date, thinking maybe follow the fiscal year given we just hit March.

If any of the seasoned vets see major flaws in the idea feel free to speak up here.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

millarddj

I think you addressed a couple of minor concerns I would have voiced above. This sounds like a cool idea to me, and I'd be in.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

johncw

tjm0831

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

bmac7754

I would get in on this. I'm having 365 birthdays this year so this would be a good year for me.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

05Venturer

I'm in
Can we start it before next week :shy:  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

headfirst

Ha ha, a very happy unbirthday to you Brian!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Vroomp

I quit having birthdays years ago....... :shades:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

McBryde

"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Cfickter

Interesting, will need some monitoring.  Also need some rules much like passes.
I would suggest there be a member level minimum but there also needs to be a level of ongoing participation.  Someone could have left the sight a year ago and still be on the list.
How about a birthday PIF and people could pick up as people's BD's become available?

But great idea, I would be in for sure
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

headfirst

Chuck,

I've thought about that very issue as I've seen those flash in the pan members that get into the forums and then fade to the sidelines after a few months, or there's people who seem to have been around in the past but are no longer very active in the forums.  That's where the rules will come into play; I'd make sure there's enough tenure and enough prolonged recent presence on the site to where I'm comfortable they'll still be around in a year barring some type of happenstance.  Ultimately I'm the bouncer on anyone that expresses interest; if I haven't seen them around long enough or recently enough they won't get to play.  And as moderator I'm willing to own it if my judgement proves wrong and someone flakes, I can send the gift.

I thought about a Birthday PIF as well, but the timing of people's birthdays is the difficulty there, it wouldn't really be a PIF.  But maybe instead of randomizing who gifts who I sequence it so that it effectively is a PIF.  That way if you fail on gifting someone there is no PIF back to you?
-Charles Spurgeon

appollo

Sounds like a good idea I'm in. :biggrin:

terrys1991

Good idea, count me in as well.
"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

Brlesq

I expect MANY members to send me cigars on my birthday whether this idea takes off or not. (It's Oct 3, BTW.)  :biggrin:

But I agree with Chuck that the wrinkle will be that even longtime, active members disappear occasionally, and regularly enough where it will most certainly happen within the next year.  So they might get their Bday gift, and then 6 months later they are no longer on the site.  The PIF sequencing idea might work better because the member is currently active.

But overall, a great new idea to bring to CG!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

sar127

Love the idea! Definitely in! Here's a solution to mitigate the long term risk:

What you could do is group people by birthdays that fall in the same month and arrange it so that they bomb each other anonymously. That way, you can even add and drop people throughout the year. It's a lot of coordinating from your end, but I think it could work. You can even sort of time it like Geek Critiques and say "Mid-November" post a thread asking who's interested to participate in the "December bombing," get the bombing list out by the end of Nov and sit back and watch it unveil during Dec. Just a thought, hope you go through with it!

P.S. If you do like the idea, here's a few proposed rules. To make it even more anonymous, discourage ppl from posting in the thread and have them PM you instead, while you keep posting in the thread of how many slots have been filled for that month. I think anonymity just adds to the fun imo. Also, to limit you having to work endlessly, maybe have a limit of 10 slots per month. That could serve 2 other purposes, keep it enticing and also garner only the very interested folks who are responsive and reliable. And lastly, if the bomb photos are posted in that month's thread, that'll make for a very clean and organized system. Btw, sorry for rambling, the idea just sparked my interest and got me thinking.:dancing:

Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

headfirst

I could see that making a lot of sense if this really catches on someday, but in looking at the spread of birthdays from those interested so far I don't see it working.  Kent would have to bomb himself and there are other months with only 2 birthdays, and there are no birthdays from April thru June.  But I can still keep it anonymous if only I know the order and I PM assignments.

I'll kick this thing off officially by week's end to see if we can't sneak Kent in before the 3 month birthday drought.

Should be fun!
-Charles Spurgeon

Cfickter

This is a great idea and you have a number of options.  My only recommendation is using the KISS (keep it simple stupid!) principle
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.