Cedar Drawers/Shelves

Started by shakinghorizons, 03/30/2016 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakinghorizons

Who is making drawers/shelves these days? After seeing the current quality of Forrest's work, I have no interest in giving him my money. (The joints had 1/8" gaps and glue everywhere)

Just for reference, I was quoted $400 by Forrest and another person. Unfortunately that other person has decided they won't be making them anymore.

Places I have contacted and their comments/responses.

GW Humidor
Germaine Washington
www.gwhumidors.com - Basically stated for me to contact him on Facebook. I responded back that I don't have an account and that I'm not interested in setting one up. That was 3 months ago and haven't heard back.

John Nelson a.k.a. John's Woodworks - His quote to me was over $1,000

American Cigar Cabinets ( http://www.amcigcab.com ) - I received a response back from ACC stating that they weren't interested.

So......anyone else?

quickme

What are you looking for?   I know someone that may be able to help you out.   I'm not sure about pricing but I can make the intro for you.  He's in the GWN thou.

McBryde

With shelves and drawer pricing like that, there has to be a niche for another woodworker to get into that market! I really wish I had the room for a good workshop here.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

shakinghorizons

Quotequickme - 3/31/2016  3:43 AM

What are you looking for?   I know someone that may be able to help you out.   I'm not sure about pricing but I can make the intro for you.  He's in the GWN thou.

I assume shipping would be brutal?

shakinghorizons

QuoteMcBryde - 3/31/2016  5:03 AM

With shelves and drawer pricing like that, there has to be a niche for another woodworker to get into that market! I really wish I had the room for a good workshop here.

E

If I had a planer and joiner, I would just make them myself!

MacMac

You can purchase trays from Amazon.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

shakinghorizons

QuoteMacMac - 3/31/2016  8:52 AM

You can purchase trays from Amazon.

I would like a complete set of drawers and trays for my wineador.

McBryde

I have a cabinet maker buddy that I was talking to about this last night. Told him he might want to get into making trays and shelves. Seemed really interested. He does awesome work. I could put you in touch with him if you want. He's here in Arkansas. Not sure what he'd charge, but sure it would be more reasonable than most.

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

c9belayer

The problem I found is that wineador shelves are highly variable in that every box will have slightly different dimensions, which makes production-line work problematic and drives up cost as every build is therefore custom. I spent over $400 in materials alone on my rebuild (see http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=42289.0 and came to the conclusion that what the market needs isn't shelving per se, but standardized trays, with configurable dividers, that will fit a large percentage of coolers out there. This could be done at a reasonable cost, and I intend on looking into this when I retire, but unfortunately that ain't happening any time soon. Unless of course my Lotto numbers come up and I can quit my day job!
-- c9belayer

raize

Yeah, I reached out to Chris a month or so ago because I was so impressed by his solution. Unfortunate there isn't an easier way to accomplish this result for those of use without the tools or space to do it ourselves...
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

shakinghorizons

Bump......am I out of options?

Vroomp

I suggest going to Custommade.com....  Describe your project and wait for quotes.....Choose a local or nearby craftsman to do the work for you and save on shipping............ :shades:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

shakinghorizons

QuoteVroomp - 4/6/2016  1:02 AM

I suggest going to Custommade.com....  Describe your project and wait for quotes.....Choose a local or nearby craftsman to do the work for you and save on shipping............ :shades:

Just checked out the site and have left 4 messages so far. Thanks!

shakinghorizons

Received a local quote for $2,800.

WTF

shakinghorizons

Received another local quote for $850 - LOL

Camshaft83

Wow. That is a bit steep.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

BewareDaPenguin

Like you I wanted custom shelves and got them from Forrest but they took forever....after I broke down the numbers it would've been easier to just buy another table humidor or even a cabinet for what I spent on the thing. Good luck tho I'm interested to hear if any of these are viable solutions as I had the same problem a few years ago.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

calvarez

I have made a lot of drawers for friends.  Recently an out of state friend decided to do some searching and said he found trays on Amazon for $13, so he bought them.  That's a hell of a deal.  Hardly worth making them at that price.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

shakinghorizons

Quotecalvarez - 4/13/2016  11:26 PM

I have made a lot of drawers for friends.  Recently an out of state friend decided to do some searching and said he found trays on Amazon for $13, so he bought them.  That's a hell of a deal.  Hardly worth making them at that price.

That is a hell of a deal, but they aren't the sizes I am looking for.

McBryde

I shot you a PM on a buddy of mine that does some good woodworking stuff, see what he quotes you.

E

c9belayer

So? Did you get some fine custom drawers? And how much did you spend?

I'm asking because I'm gonna retire in 2-3 years and start producing amazing totally custom humidor shelves, drawers, and trays (with magically variable dividers!) and sell them online. I'm really interested in what you paid and what you got. Custom work is always costly, and true Spanish Cedar ain't cheap.

-- c9belayer

raize

Haven't sprung for it yet. Life has been getting in the way lately. I did, however, find this place.  Anyone have any experience?

http://winedors.com/index.html
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

c9belayer

Dammit! Those are some nice drawers... and trays! The design looks mighty familiar. Somebody seems to have retired before me!!!

;-)
-- c9belayer

McBryde

From what I have heard about Forrest is that he is so backed up he has quit taking orders, and stuff is shipped out in about 6 months. Not sure if anything has changed in a few months from when I heard that though.looks like some really nice work though, but it better be for those prices!

E

calvarez

Damn, I'm afraid to turn a hobby into a business, but maybe I should consider cranking out a few dozen and see what the market is like.  I've made around 50 for friends so far.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.