October Member Sponsored Geek Citique

Started by junglepete, 05/11/2016 06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

This Geek Critique has been generously sponsored by MacMac (Joe)

The cigar: CAO Flathead V660 Carb. (6.0 x 60)

The filler is Nicaragua, the binder is Connecticut Ecuador, and the wrapper is a Maduro Connecticut Broadleaf. The shape is Toro Gordo and the strength is Medium-Full.

The cigar for the October Member Sponsored review is the Cigar Aficionado's #3 cigar of the year for 2015—the CAO Flathead V660 Carb. The V660 is 6" in length and has a ring size of 60. The cigar is made in Nicaragua.

The Hype - Cigar Aficionado: It's big. It's blocky. And it has the flattest head we've ever seen on a premium cigar. It's also loaded with surprisingly rich, complex tobacco.
The CAO Flathead V660 Carb is one of the bulkiest cigars in the CAO Flathead line, which is made by General Cigar Co. in Nicaragua. General inherited the entire portfolio of CAO's preexisting brands after Swedish Match and ST Cigar Group Holdings merged in 2010. Flathead, however was created under General Cigar by Rick Rodriguez and Ed McKenna. The idea was for the cigars to resemble the engine blocks found in America's classic hot rods, and this is reflected in the packaging as well. Each box looks like an engine and even comes with a vintage-style print of a pinup girl. There is undoubtedly a jovial aspect to the theme, but it would be a mistake to dismiss the Flathead as a novelty.
The cigar is a gutsy blend that starts with a dark Connecticut broadleaf wrapper, a Cuban-seed binder also grown in Connecticut and a combination of Nicaraguan ligero and Dominican Piloto Cubano tobacco. If Rodriguez and McKenna intended the blend to reflect hot rods and muscle cars along with the packaging, we'd say they delivered.
The name Carb 660 is named after the carburetor of a combustion engine and 660 indicates the length and ring gauge. From the first light, this seriously squared-off cigar takes off with notes of ripe fruit, leather and molasses that only gain intensity as it smokes.

The Reviewers to be chosen by Joe (with input from Pete).

Criteria: Veteran status, plus. We will try to have a mix of newer members and experienced members. Also must not have done a review within the last two months or are scheduled to do one in the future.

Shipping Restrictions: Will take two out of country reviewers.

1. appollo (Stephen)
2. freakydeakydutchman (Steve)
3. timpellis (Tim)
4. 05Venturer (Kent)
5. Cigary (Gary)

Due date: September 24, 2016

Note: A reviewer who posts their review late will receive neutral feedback. A reviewer who does not post at all will receive negative feedback. There are always exceptions to the rule and a reasonable excuse for tardiness or a no show will be respected and thus not counted against the reviewer. Our sponsoring members and our administrators make the choice of who is to participate in any particular Geek Critique and can be better informed of their choices with this new initiative in place.

Thanks again to Joe for taking this one on and providing the cigar. THANKS!! And happy smokin' :cigarman:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

appollo

I'll throw my name in if shipping to the GWN is no problem  :-)

freakydeakydutchman

"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

junglepete

Still waiting to hear about shipping requirements. :)
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

freakydeakydutchman

Thanks for having me Peter. I always wanted to try one of these.
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

timpellis

I can give it a go if you still need people.

junglepete

Quotefreakydeakydutchman - 5/13/2016  4:41 PM

Thanks for having me Peter. I always wanted to try one of these.

No need to thank me at all...thank MacMac  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

junglepete

Quotetimpellis - 5/13/2016  4:45 PM

I can give it a go if you still need people.

You're in Tim
Guru of Frugality

MacMac

Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

appollo

Thanks Joe for having me.Looking foreword to trying this stick :-)

MacMac

Quoteappollo - 5/13/2016  6:58 PM

Thanks Joe for having me.Looking foreword to trying this stick :-)

Great to have you Stephen.

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

MacMac

Pete, let's added Kent and Gary. We'll have a full slate!

Cigary

MacMac

We are officially full now! :rocker:  I am excited about our Flathead reviewers! :dancing:
I'll let you guys know when I ship. We are pretty early getting October's review put together so I'll wait a little while before shipping.

Joe

Cigary

Is this still a "go" or did it go away?

MacMac

MacMac

Hi Geeks!
The CAO Flathead V660 Carb has shipped for the October critique!

Tracking information:

Appollo (Stephen):  Custom #: LC434238475US

Freekydeakydutchman (Steve) Custom #: LC434238489US

Timpellis (Tim) USPS: 9500113243126216004613

05Venturer (Ken) USPS: 9500113243126216004637

Cigary (Gary) USPS:  9500113243126216004620

I hope all the cigars arrive safely and quickly!

Joe

05Venturer

Thanks Joe!!!
I had truthfully forgot I got picked for this one.
Looking forward to it brother :biggrin:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

GameOfCigars

Sounds great!  should have thrown my hat into the ring sooner!  Oh well, there is always next month!
"If you get hooked on scotch, then everything else just tastes wrong."

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=GameOfCigars

MacMac

Quote05Venturer - 8/3/2016  3:19 PM

Thanks Joe!!!
I had truthfully forgot I got picked for this one.
Looking forward to it brother :biggrin:

Yea, we got started early on this one.
Joe

appollo

Look foreword to getting the stick Joe. :-)

MacMac

I've got two I'm holding until you Geeks submit the critiques, then I'm going to smoke one!

junglepete

:bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs: Top Notch hosting and sponsorship. Thanks Joe
Guru of Frugality

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.