Watch your Cards!

Started by DonM, 06/30/2016 03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

Just a note, I made an online purchase with one of our on line retailers. 2 days later, someone tried to make purchases with my card in PA. I won't mention the name of the Co. But they are pretty famous. Luckily my bank caught it and froze my account until they could get me a new card. Of course they didn't own up to any thing fraudelent going on. I will use a card that I can dispute charges with before any further purchases are made. Fking monsters!

"The Curmudgeon"

ninfiction

Interesting, rogue employee maybe, possibly an Advisor to the Auctioneer?

This is not the admin you're looking for...

DonM

Dunno, purely speculation and a bunch of coincidence. Just wanted to give my BOTL a heads up

"The Curmudgeon"

toby2

McBryde

Thanks for the heads up Don!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

benchjockey

Thanks for posting this!
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

MacMac

Thanks for the warning.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Camshaft83

Thanks for the warning. Glad your bank caught it in time.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

johncw

thanks for the heads up

GameOfCigars

"If you get hooked on scotch, then everything else just tastes wrong."

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=GameOfCigars

gitfiddl

About a year ago, Luis Martinez billed my card for someone else's order ($75 worth).  They happily credited my card and were very apologetic, but couldn't tell me how my CC# got associated with someone else's purchase, other than it was a telephone order and maybe the salesperson took the # wrong.  I haven't done business with Luis Martinez since.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Cigary

I use my banking Application a lot and changed my security alerts to let me know what is going on.  I get an alert every time my account is charged so I know to the minute what charges are being applied and have caught at least 4 charges this year that I didn't charge.  They were small ones like $1.68 or $2.35 that were supposed to be items that the average consumer wouldn't notice.  These are "set up" charges to let the hacker know that the small charge went through before they really make big one.

Jackal

QuoteDonM - 6/30/2016  4:52 PM

Dunno, purely speculation and a bunch of coincidence. Just wanted to give my BOTL a heads up

Could be purely coincidental.  If I make it a year without a card being hacked, I consider myself pretty lucky.

It may have been from that purchase.  However, it could be the processing company where the leak took place, which would be outside of what that Famous company could conceivably be able to control.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Brlesq

QuoteJackal - 7/1/2016  2:58 PM

QuoteDonM - 6/30/2016  4:52 PM

Could be purely coincidental.  If I make it a year without a card being hacked, I consider myself pretty lucky.

It may have been from that purchase.  However, it could be the processing company where the leak took place, which would be outside of what that Famous company could conceivably be able to control.

I have to agree.  Seems like it always happens to me when I visit California for some reason, too.  I've found that AmEx has the best intelligent fraud-detection software, and has caught fraudulent charges within 30 minutes of their occurrence in some instances. And they have a replacement card in my hand the next morning, even when I am traveling.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

DonM

Would it be coincidental that 2 Geeks got fraud charges on the same day in PA? More details are available but don't want to bust them out at this time

"The Curmudgeon"

tjm0831

I've had two cards virtually stolen in the past year. It's a huge pain. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  I just got a letter from Amazon saying my email address and password was published on some online list. I've had to change all of my credit associated passwords because of that. This virtual crime problem is a big issue these days....

Jay'D

WOWWW...I've had that happen to me just last month. My bank froze my card immediately and cancelled it after i informed them it wasn't me using it. Seems the perpetrator was making some online purchases on some clothes store and another website. Hopefully the bank keep up the good work and detect that kinda activity every time it happens. The only thing is I can't detect where the hack might have taken place.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Otter

I hate it when this happens, it's such a pain setting up all the auto billing and other recurring charges to go to the new card number. I've had this happen at least 4 times but never with a cigar company. The last time was a restaurant in the Pentagon.
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.