Bombing advice

Started by bertf86, 08/24/2016 08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bertf86

Afternoon all (well it is where I am at least!)

i had stumbled across the bombing etiquette post & quickly realised that it was in fact a post gone wrong, but it got me thinking that it would help me if i was able to get advice on bombing.

being fresh to it, I remember receiving a bomb from Appollo & at the time being mega confused by a parcel coming for me marked as hobby supplies (I'm sure that's what it said on the box!) & i just thought it was about time i tried to learn exactly what i should be doing (If i chose to go down the bombing route :angel: )

any advice would be greatly appreciated (or if there is already a thread, that isnt the GrouchoM thread :kickyou:  then happy to be directed there)

Cheers,

Bert

*Disclaimer* this post in no way hints at me attempting to bomb, or not bomb, members of this site...  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle: i still have a few posts before i can see addresses anyway (I believe)...  :smoker2:
"God damnit - I canoed it!" KingCobraJFS

quickme

I tend to stalk my prey.  I take a look at their wishlist and if I have something that they have on the list than I'll send the BOTL/SOTL something.   Have fun :)

ninfiction

The issue with shipping cigars from country to country is import taxes. Many places love to tax tobacco at very high rates. So when shipping across international borders it is best to not be as detailed as one could be on the declaration form. Hobby Supplies, Aroma Therepy Candles, Men's Accessories....

I always like to include a list of what the cigars are that I sent, saves time for the reciever if they track them in their online humidor.

I've never had an issue personally with packages getting stopped by customs but it can happen and you could lose the box.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

bertf86

that may, or may not, be what I have done Nick...

it was probably more around the actual act of posting that had me confused. i was researching humipak's and noticed that they actually come in different humidities (if that is even a word!) & wasn't sure what one was more suitable. it was also what should be written on the packaging etc. as i would hope that when i do send one on that the recipient doesnt get hit with any customs charges etc.

cheers,

Bert

05Venturer

Cigar Bombs - An unsolicited gift of cigars (or cigar stuff) sent via the mail from a Sibling of the Leaf.
 Send a note. Go ahead and write a little note to the target. Let them know what you are sending them and why you like it.
 Don't beg to be bombed. It's annoying and look what it got Saddam.
 Been Bombed? Return fire? That is up to you. A Bomb is given freely without the expectation of reward. But do you really want to let them get away hitting you?

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

quickme

Quotebertf86 - 8/24/2016  1:17 PM

that may, or may not, be what I have done Nick...

it was probably more around the actual act of posting that had me confused. i was researching humipak's and noticed that they actually come in different humidities (if that is even a word!) & wasn't sure what one was more suitable. it was also what should be written on the packaging etc. as i would hope that when i do send one on that the recipient doesnt get hit with any customs charges etc.

cheers,

Bert

cigars are tough so if you don't send with humidification its okay but a small Bovey (60-65-69%) are fine or even a little papertowel square with some Distilled water if you don't have a small boveda pack.    I have written hobby supplies a few times on packages.   Candles, chocolate have been written also.  knock on wood I have been lucky with most of my bombs.

bertf86

Thanks Brian!

I have an order coming to myself from Cigar Place which is going to be marked cigars (my own inexperience) so I shall take that hit, but going forward that is good information to know!

helpful advice regarding the list - makes sense to make it that little bit easier!

bertf86

thanks Kent - again all advice is appreciated!

Don't worry about begging - I haven't even had a chance to enjoy any of the previous bomb i received almost a year ago yet!

Nick - I will be able to get my hands on some boveda packs - was just unsure as to what ones would suit best but its good to know there are other options (or let them tough it out with no humidification!) I will probably go with Hobby supplies & see how my luck runs!

ninfiction

If you ever wish to order something from a US site that doesn't ship over seas I would be willing to proxy for you. You could have it shipped to my house and then I'd ship it to you. Depending on where you order from you would have to pay shipping twice but it's an option to get cigars you might not othersie be able to get. And you'd have to assume the risk if it did happen to get stopped by customs or lost.

It's an option though if you really want a cigar you can't otherwise get.

bertf86

Quoteninfiction - 8/24/2016  5:54 PM

If you ever wish to order something from a US site that doesn't ship over seas I would be willing to proxy for you. You could have it shipped to my house and then I'd ship it to you. Depending on where you order from you would have to pay shipping twice but it's an option to get cigars you might not othersie be able to get. And you'd have to assume the risk if it did happen to get stopped by customs or lost.

It's an option though if you really want a cigar you can't otherwise get.

Thank you Brian, I really appreciate that & will no doubt take you up on that offer! we do seem to have a decent selection in the UK but there are some that i cant get which is where this would benefit me - my issue just now is twofold - 1. I really do not have any preferences just now & I am still learning what I like & 2. the room that will contain my cigars (and if proofed well enough will be my smoke room) is still a shell & has not been decorated yet, so i am not too worried about orders just now. Again this is not a hint that the order i currently have made is for bombing purposes! haha

would be happy to assume risk etc. understand that's part & parcel of going down this route.

Jackal

Be careful as to what you label your cigars when shipping.  "Hobby supplies" sometimes can cause additional inspection of the package, as the postal carrier can be concerned that you may have shipped paints/ solvents or other materials that require DOT/ IATA declaration.

I like the aromatherapy candle description.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

bertf86

Thanks Jackal, hadn't thought about that!

Well hopefully i dont have any issues when i'm ready to go ahead!

Jackal

I have flat out lied and stated "boardgames" a couple times for Canada.  

Don't use "games" for Italy, though, as gaming (gambling) supplies are highly regulated there, so that description could cause secondary inspection.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

ninfiction

I always use Aroma Therapy Candles, I think it's a pretty accurate description.

bertf86

Yeah, i think Aromatherapy candles is much more apt & open to interpretation!

may or may not use that in the future... :smoker:

nirab

The generosity displayed on this site is incredible...now go add to our rich history and bomb the shyte out of someone!!  :biggrin:  :angel:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

bertf86

Quotenirab - 8/25/2016  12:21 AM

The generosity displayed on this site is incredible...now go add to our rich history and bomb the shyte out of someone!!  :biggrin:  :angel:  :bigthumbs:

Who said I'm bombing anyone Nirab.... not me...   :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

nirab

Quotebertf86 - 8/24/2016  6:31 PM

Quotenirab - 8/25/2016  12:21 AM

Who said I'm bombing anyone Nirab.... not me...   :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

well...I am easily confused... :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

bertf86

How many posts before you are able to see people's addresses?! Out of curiosity of course... :whistle: :angel:

millarddj

Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

bertf86

Not too far for me to go then!

bertf86

My order has made it to British shores! it is currently in London (marked as hobby supplies; i managed to get it changed prior to shipping) so fingers crossed the rest goes smoothly and they should be in my possession soon!

Also have a totally unrelated order of finger bags coming from cigarbags.com... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Cfickter

I like to add a twist to bombs when I can.  Find out a favorite hobby (other than cigars), favorite team, throw something extra in.  I have gotten bombed with Minion stuff stuck in there and loved it.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bertf86

Been quite a busy day at work... received my dreaded customs charge for my order from cigarplace, now that has been paid I should be in possession of my order as of tomorrow.

on a completely unrelated note, i also received an order i made for finger bags today, so all is well on that end.

just need to locate some Boveda packs off Amazon now & i should be relatively happy...

P.S. now that I have over 100 posts, how do i see other members addresses?! in case i ever needed that information for, like, google mapping your homes & not bombing at all whatsoever?! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

ninfiction

If you click on thier user name in a post you should see their profile info...you can also search for them in the "Member List" on the left hand sidebar.

And if you still don't find what you're looking for shoot another member a pm and ask if they can help you out.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.