Cigars that should be experienced,,

Started by bertf86, 08/29/2016 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bertf86

Hey all,

As mentioned before (numerous times) I am terrifyingly inexperienced regarding cigars. Having now moved into my flat & got finances under control I am now hopefully in a position to start experimenting more with different brands/styles & see what I like.

it then got me thinking about how I would go about deciding what cigars to try & it gave me the thought for this thread.

If you were to recommend one cigar (price irrelevant, easier to find the better) that someone should experience what would it be?
"God damnit - I canoed it!" KingCobraJFS

gitfiddl

I would have to start the list with anything that has Arturo Fuente in the name, followed closely by anything that Don Pepin Garcia has a hand in the manufacturing/blending of.  The same with Manuel Quesada's stuff.  Everyone should also try such stalwarts as Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey, Cohiba, Partagas, et cetera (both the Cuban and non-Cuban varieties where applicable and legally available).

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

headfirst

I'm in no way an authority like others around here that have been around the block and have settled in on what they like best; there are plenty of really good names out there I haven't even tried yet, so take this for what it's worth.

But if I had to pick one, just one, from what I've smoked so far (really hard to do!), I'd have to go with Flatbed Panacea Green.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

headfirst

Quotegitfiddl - 8/29/2016  7:03 PM

I would have to start the list with anything that has Arturo Fuente in the name, followed closely by anything that Don Pepin Garcia has a hand in the manufacturing/blending of.  The same with Manuel Quesada's stuff.  Everyone should also try such stalwarts as Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey, Cohiba, Partagas, et cetera (both the Cuban and non-Cuban varieties where applicable and legally available).

Did I mention it's hard to name just one?   :lmao:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

bertf86

My mum & dad were on holiday in cuba a few years back & he brought home a selection of cuban cigars - the first ever cigar i smoked was a Cohiba Siglo III - but i dont think i appreciated at the time what i was actually smoking so didnt enjoy or savour it in the manner i should have.

I will have to have a look at the names you have mentioned and see if i can grab them here in Scotland. If not then i will have a look stateside (primarily going to base my next few orders on what i can get on my side of the water without having to ship internationally!!)

Thanks for the suggestions

bertf86

Quoteheadfirst - 8/30/2016  2:09 AM

:lmao: this thread has started out EXACTLY as i thought it would :lmao:

gitfiddl

Quoteheadfirst - 8/29/2016  7:09 PM

Ooops!

:biggrin:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Jackal

Unfortunately, many cigars that are available in the US are not distributed worldwide.  This is especially true with anything that shares a name with a Cuban cigar.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

bertf86

QuoteJackal - 8/30/2016  2:19 AM

Unfortunately, many cigars that are available in the US are not distributed worldwide.  This is especially true with anything that shares a name with a Cuban cigar.

Yeah, the main shop in my area for cigars (Robert Graham) seem to have a decent selection but it pales in comparison to cigarplace for example where i made a recent order!

Just have to hope i can find some decent sticks on this side to save money for shipping on an international order!!

Though i guess i have to be grateful that i have easy access to cuban variations!

05Venturer

Since you are across the pond and these are most likely available I'll say

Bolivar (Cuban) Belicosos Finos :bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

millarddj

If I narrow down to a single brand/line, I'd have to say the DPG My Father Le Bijou 1922 line for me. Every one has been solid, superior, and a complete flavor feast.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

ninfiction

My assumption is that most of what I smoke you wouldn't be able to easily get. Crowned Heads and Illusione are 2 that I find myself seeking out.

I've never sent a package to Scotland before...hmmm
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Jackal

If you haven't tried Vegas Robaina, you need to go to your tobacconist and get some stat.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

bertf86

Morning all!

Kent/Jason; Both of the cigars mentioned are available to purchase from my local shop! now added to my list!

Daniel; My local shop do stock some My Father's but not the Le Bijou mentioned. I will still add it to my list & keep an eye out!

Brian; I seen someone talking about Crowned Heads the other week & as you guessed they are not easy to get here. Just done a quick search for Illusione & it appears that is also another i will need to order in from abroad!

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

DonM

I cant believe that the Drew Estates Liga Privada # 9 AKA "Yard Gar" was not mentioned!

"The Curmudgeon"

nirab

I second the My Father Le Bijou lineup, simply superb.  :biggrin:  I also recommend Curivari and Padron. Can't go wrong with either one.  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

quickme

so many amazing marcas out there so it's very hard to narrow it down.  

NC

Crowned heads ( Headley Grange, La Imperiosa has been one of my favourites this year!)
Arturo Fuente ( love the Anejo and Hemingway line)
Liga Undercrown ( love the corona)
Panacea Black Natural
Oliva G maduro
Padron ( a bit pricey but the 2000,3000 are great aging sticks)

CC
Trinidad
Por larranga ( more affordable marca but very good!)
Rafael Gonzales ( more affordable marca but very good!)
Bolivar
Saint Luis Rey ( not a very mainstream marca but extremely good!)
Vegas Robaina

have fun with your search.  

bertf86

good to see some more opinions on what I should try out since I last checked! being the type of person I am, I think I may have to set up a little workbook of all these, alongside best prices & whether i can source them locally or internationally! and then just start chipping away at them & building my collection!

My new phone has arrived today, so shall be having a play around with that! once i have it set up i think i shall work on building my list!

bigjohn20081983

Seems like any cigar with Flying Pig in the name is pretty good
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Camshaft83

La Gloria Cubana (Cuban) Medaille D'or No. 4

One of my favorites. You should be able to source these locally as it is a Cuban.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

bertf86

Surprisingly Cam, the only La Gloria Cubana i can seem to find is the inmenso's!

will add it to my list and see if i come across it!

Cfickter

If we are talking CC then I would offer a personal fav, the Partagas Serie P No.2.  that deserves a national holiday IMHO
Also hard to argue with the Behike, not deserving its own time (except late on herfs, you know who I am talking about!)

For NC, if you can find one the Camacho Liberty 2007 and while perhaps over priced and maybe a little over hyped the Davidoff Year of (insert your favorite animal here) but I like the Monkey.  If you want something more practical I would suggest the Roma Craft Neanderthal SGP (available at Serious Cigars) but eat something first.  And just one more if you can find them the CAO Amazon Basin
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.