"A fine cigar is the essence of life. The tobacco plant comes from the earth, from which we ourselves were created. Like ourselves, each leaf grows and is nurtured individually, acquiring its own characteristics, and is then graded, sorted, and matured according to their special abilities. As tobacco comes to its graduation in the making of cigars, as with the making of adults, some is left on the cutting room table and become ordinary, run-of-the-mill products. Some graduate into leadership and areas of responsibility, but a few achieve greatness, and even a touch of immortality." -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Main Menu

Uneven moisture causing tight draws?

Started by headfirst, 10/13/2016 07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headfirst

I was looking around on youtube for ideas on what to do for a tight draw and I came across what I thought was an unusual technique.  This person cuts the cap of his cigars and puts them back in the cello and lets the cigar rest for 6 months to a year.  His theory is the cap traps moisture near the head of the cigar, causing the tight draw.  He claims he sees the difference.  Anyone heard of that/tried it?  He seemed to only do it for brands that he routinely sees have tight draw, he kept mentioning Partagas Black as tending to have tight draws.

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

ninfiction

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone doing this. I don't really buy it, but have no proof one way or the other. Hey, if it "works" for him then great.

I find draw is almost always due to how the cigar was rolled...unless the cigars are really "wet" and the tobacco is expanded because of it, but is that's the case 6 months will always do it some good.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

nirab

I let my cigars get acclimated to their new home, make them feel comfortable, let em rest up for a while, usually 3-6 months...then...I burn the shyte out of em!! I'm with Brian, how the cigar is rolled has more to do with it than anything else.
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

gitfiddl

I can see how it might help, if you could swear that every one of a certain cigar was going to have a tight draw, but I think a tight draw is more an anomaly than a brand characteristic.  Furthermore, I'm a big Partagas Black fan.  I disagree that they are consistently tight.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

millarddj

Eh.

In my experience, tight draws that can't be fixed by a quick Havana saver reaming are limited to Toranos (which I like in spite of the fact) or certain torps...or Torano torps (that's not a combination that ends well for me).
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

05Venturer

Quotegitfiddl - 10/14/2016  12:06 PM

I can see how it might help, if you could swear that every one of a certain cigar was going to have a tight draw, but I think a tight draw is more an anomaly than a brand characteristic.  Furthermore, I'm a big Partagas Black fan.  I disagree that they are consistently tight.

^^^^^ Yup
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

appollo

Quotegitfiddl - 10/14/2016  2:06 PM

Yep to this

:-)

Longhorn

Bajeezus,  I lost him about 8 minutes in.  I take a Habana Saver (gifted by Rob a year or so ago) and shove it into a cigar with a tight draw - works 8 out of 10 times.  If not, I toss the SOB and light a yard gar.   :biggrin:

headfirst

:lmao: I know, that guy's smoking more than just cigars, but I did think the concept was an interesting thought.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

05Venturer

QuoteLonghorn - 10/14/2016  10:50 PM

Bajeezus,  I lost him about 8 minutes in.  I take a Habana Saver (gifted by Rob a year or so ago) and shove it into a cigar with a tight draw - works 8 out of 10 times.  If not, I toss the SOB and light a yard gar.   :biggrin:
How the hell did you make it that long  :confused:
I didn't make 2 minutes  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

The guy actually used a drill!!! Also how do you know a cigar has a tight draw until you light it?

bugs

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

vw77guy

if his cigars are consistanly tight, I'd say he's too humid.

MusicCity

^^^
Makes sense - things swell when wet. ;)
That being said, is low humidity going to correct a poorly rolled lancero? Me thinks not...

Brlesq

QuoteMusicCity - 10/23/2016  1:27 AM

^^^
Makes sense - things swell when wet. ;)
That being said, is low humidity going to correct a poorly rolled lancero? Me thinks not...

^^ This.  Many times, in smaller ring gauge cigars like lanceros, a tight draw or plug is caused by the veins in the filler tobacco, not humidity.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

tjm0831

C130Driver

And, just think about it logically for a moment. For the sake of argument assume it is due to moisture. Now think about it at the molecular level. So you're telling me the individual molecule of water has managed to travel from the inner most portions of the cigar, through all the filler, through the binder - all consisting of leaves of tobacco - but now that it has arrived at the final tobacco leaf - the wrapper - it is stuck? I don't buy it. Not to mention, even if all of that is true, why can't it just go out the foot? Then what about the uncut cigars or even worse all the Oscar cigars that are wrapped in another leaf all together? I just don't see it.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.