You won't believe what I found out about the Geek Critiques!

Started by Kid Montana, 02/24/2017 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Montana

Ok, ok, that was a clickbait as hell title.  So bite me.

I pulled down the 17 or so pages of data for all the Geek Critiques and performed some analysis.  Here are some interesting and fun facts and figures; make sure you read the last paragraph.

There are 930 individual critiques across 199 cigars with about 4.7 reviews per stogie and 86.09 points awarded on average.

The Cigars:
First Critique: Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Classic (Average score: 85)
Cigar with the most reviews: Hot Ash Original Churchill with 10 reviews (average score: 80.3, proof that quantity does not equal quality)
Highest Average Score (with more than 2 reviews): Sindicato Cigars Sindicato Toro Maduro (average 94.2)
Highest Score, period! A three 4-way tie at 98 points!
- Camacho Triple Maduro Robusto
- DE Liga Privada Unico Serie Feral Flying Pig
- Sindicato Cigars Sindicator Toro Maduro
- Paul Stulac White Blinding Light Torpedo
Lowest Average Score (with more than 2 reviews): Cuba Aliado (Core Line) Toro Extra with only 69.8 points
Lowest Score, period! JFC Tobacco La FLor De Cuba with only 40 points

The Geeks! 
Most prolific Geek Critiquer: DonM with 28 separate Geek Critiques
Other notables: nirab (27), nwb (26), Ken Kelly (26)
Biggest Sugar Daddy Reviewer (with more than 2 reviews): Rammstein142 with 93.5 average on 4 reviews
Stingiest Reviewer (with more than 2 reviews): sam a with 63.67 on 3 reviews
Average number of reviews per person: 4.1 reviews

The Times!
Toughest month: December, 2009 with 69.8 average
Highest rated month: July, 2013 with a 92.4 average
Toughest Year: 2009 with only 83.58 points average
Best Year: 2016 with 87.48 points average

2008 - 85.00 pts avg 2 reviews, lol
2009 - 83.78 pts avg, 77 reviews
2010 - 84.81 pts avg, 86 reviews
2011 - 85.82 pts avg, 84 reviews
2012 - 87.32 pts avg, 86 reviews
2013 - 85.81 pts avg, 106 reviews
2014 - 86.55 pts avg, 229 reviews
2015 - 86.40 pts avg, 163 reviews
2016 - 87.48 pts avg, 87 reviews
2017 - 85.5  pts avg,  10 reviews(so far!)

Now if those numbers weren't nerdy enough for you, here is the super nerdy, but actually quite surprising stuff:

I did a standard deviation analysis and derived a few interesting statistical points.  Because the average review is quite high, the maximum possible value of 100 is slightly less than 2 standard deviations from the mean.  This means that high scores are significantly less meaningful than low scores.  A 94 is barely over 1 standard deviation from the mean, implying that picking a cigar rated 94 is statistically indistinguishable from an picking a cigar rated 86. Only Scores above 98 are really meaningful! Shocking!  The lowest score, 40, is nearly 6.5 standard deviations from the mean and quite nearly the level of significance required to confirm the existence of a new particle or state of matter in physics.  On the low side, bad reviews are a great indicator of a real dog rocket, with reviews below 72 an almost guaranteed loser at 1.98 standard deviations below the average.  Scores below 65 are 3 standard deviations from the average and indicate the stogies aren't even worth burning with fire.   

Review inflation is a serious problem and ultimately grinds out the meaning from high ratings.  Even times when the scale is re-calibrated, reviews inevitably drift towards the high end, mostly due to selection bias (bad cigars tend to not get reviewed) and bandwagon/blind spot biases or the Ben Franklin effect (its a free cigar!).  

Update: the stdev value is 7.0991.  To calculate the significance (called p-value) for any one score, apply the formula: (score-average)/stdev.  For example, a score of 90 - > (90-86.06)/7.0991 -> p=~.555  p values below 1.0 are not significantly different than the average.  Scores above 2.0 are very significant.  

I'd rather have a cigar...

Brlesq

Now THAT is a terrific analysis. Good work, Dan!  :bigthumbs:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Deener27

Wow, now that is some analysis that is right up my alley.

Awesome work there.  Very interesting.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

ninfiction

I thought I was a data nerd, holy crap...great analysis though!
This is not the admin you're looking for...

shakinghorizons

Gustoff

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

cavenbk

Holy hell Daniel, you must really be bored. Interesting information though.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Kid Montana

Longhorn

...and in other news, I cut the end off a cigar and put fire to it.  Good smoke.  I'll rate it at 86.09 so as not to f&*k with the data.

:biggrin:

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteLonghorn - 2/25/2017  2:47 AM

...and in other news, I cut the end off a cigar and put fire to it.  Good smoke.  I'll rate it at 86.09 so as not to f&*k with the data.

:biggrin:

Lmao Brad lol...nice

Very cool stats man I did fall for the click bait but read the article very nicely broke down. :thumbsup:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

sar127

Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

amigodecigars

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

amigodecigars

I love 'kick-ass' analysis!  That is 100% 'copy-paste' to take to the factory. Good job.

In the first 30 days of his term, Trump has overseen a considerable slowdown in regulations, according to an analysis by The Hill. There has been a 72 percent decline in regulatory activity during the first month of the Trump administration compared with the last two months of then-President Barack Obama’s term.

In the first 30 days of his term, Trump has overseen a considerable slowdown in regulations, according to an analysis by The Hill. There has been a 72 percent decline in regulatory activity during the first month of the Trump administration compared with the last two months of then-President Barack Obama’s term.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

toby2

that put the Geek into Cigar Geeks for sure. great job.

and where the hell is Ken anyway? still chasing folks off his lawn with some high powered projectile weapon i bet!

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

appollo

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

amigodecigars

QuoteCfickter - 2/25/2017  12:41 PM  Wow Dan New thread, lets find Dan a girlfriend!

Come on down to Costa Rica and I will find all of ya a hot Latina girlfriend....aka "Ticas"....if I can get away from work (photo)

appollo

QuoteCfickter - 2/25/2017  12:41 PM

Wow Dan
New thread, lets find Dan a girlfriend!
:lmao:  :lmao:

DRuff

QuoteCfickter - 2/25/2017  11:41 AM  Wow Dan New thread, lets find Dan a girlfriend!

you read my mind  :lmao:  :lmao:  

tvolball

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

headfirst

I need an analysis on the member and industry sponsors, break it down Dan!   :biggrin:

Actually might be interesting...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Kid Montana

Quoteheadfirst - 2/25/2017  6:51 PM

I need an analysis on the member and industry sponsors, break it down Dan!   :biggrin:

Actually might be interesting...

There is no way to separate them once they're archived.  The lists do not differentiate, only inside the review themselves do you see whether its a Member sponsored or not.  http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=cigrevs;area=critiques

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.