Poker Night Herf/Giveaway?

Started by Cap10_Morgan, 05/09/2017 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cap10_Morgan

I've enjoyed the google herfs so far, but just makes me thing... nothing is more social and nothing goes better with cigars than poker to me.  I did a search and downloaded pokerstars software which will let me set up a private poker club.  I would like to set this up as a giveaway but want to figure out how it works first and experiment with it.  (Would also give me a little more time to get some cigars for myself before I look to give away... but even the wife thought this was a cool idea and is ok with me getting some just to giveaway)  So is there anyone interested in this and anyone interested in helping me test it out?  I'm thinking maybe one night a week, can use the google hangout but non-poker players can still come and talk... just like every poker game ive ever been to, lol.  This way we could talk shyte as usual, but let the poker software handle the actual card playing.  Maybe even make it a monthly thing where we only play 1 night a week, but top stack after 4 weeks wins, etc?  Not sure how the club feature works in the software so thats why I'm looking to test it out first and also checking to see if anyone is interested.  And shoot, I'm not that smart, so I assume I am not inventing the wheel here and there is a good chance this has already happened in the past.

You are invited to join my private poker club for Home Games online.

- If you don't already have it, download the free [#?PokerBrand#] software from www.pokerstars.com
- Open the main poker lobby, then click on the Home Games tab
- Click the 'Join a Poker Club' button
- Enter my Club ID number: 2113841
- Enter my Invitation Code: CGPoker650

That's it! Once I've approved your membership request, we'll be ready to start playing Home Games online together.

If you want to find out more, visit ]our Home Games page.

FYI - to find the "Home Games", look at the bottom right of the screen where it says "more", click and select "Home Games"
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Deener27

Might be interested.  Would depend on what time, how long, etc.

Also, talk to bstessl...he might be into it.  We used to have a very long running Friday night money game.  Might be tough since he works evenings.

This seems like a great idea.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Cap10_Morgan

Yeah, I think that's going to be the hardest thing to figure out... the time and lenght,etc.  How did you guys used to run your Friday night game?
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

klamm143

Hey Jeff - I already have poker-stars set up on my fire tv..........have not used any features except auto play / where it pairs you up with random players - but I'll play around with it as well and let you know what I find out. I'll send you a PM here in a minute.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Deener27

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/9/2017  8:17 PM

Yeah, I think that's going to be the hardest thing to figure out... the time and lenght,etc.  How did you guys used to run your Friday night game?

It was a live cash game.  Usually 8-9 players, started at 9 pm Chicago time and ran until...??? (some nights it ran until 6 am or even later...but we were also crazy, much younger and had a really good flow of great players in and out).  It was usually at .50 -$1 blind game, no limit.

The thing that you are running up against is that real money is verboten (thanks W) so it would almost have to be for fun since there would be no good intermediary to handle cash and payouts.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

ninfiction

It could be something that is a set night each month for a couple hours. Have people sign up before hand and each guy throws in a couple cigars for the winner or something. I'm a complete poker noob but it might be fun to do on a google herf. Just a couple ideas, not saying that's how it should be done or anything.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteDeener27 - 5/9/2017  9:26 PM

It was a live cash game.  Usually 8-9 players, started at 9 pm Chicago time and ran until...??? (some nights it ran until 6 am or even later...but we were also crazy, much younger and had a really good flow of great players in and out).  It was usually at .50 -$1 blind game, no limit.

The thing that you are running up against is that real money is verboten (thanks W) so it would almost have to be for fun since there would be no good intermediary to handle cash and payouts.

What did you use for this "live cash game"?  Or are you talking literally people meeting up IRL?  I'm not worried about playoing for real money.  I figure we could either do tournament style  and winner of the tourney takes the cigars or a monthly thing where biggest stack wins em. I need to check the software/site out more.  I literally have NO idea how it works for private clubs.  Since we have a few interested parties, I will try to set something up soon so we can at least test it out.

Quoteninfiction - 5/9/2017  10:41 PM

It could be something that is a set night each month for a couple hours. Have people sign up before hand and each guy throws in a couple cigars for the winner or something. I'm a complete poker noob but it might be fun to do on a google herf. Just a couple ideas, not saying that's how it should be done or anything.

That's all I'm looking for right now is ideas.  And trust me, it's usually the "poker noobs" that end up winning!  Yeah, I'm wondering if it would be a once a month thing or if it would take more than 1 night to get a winner.  I really haven't done much homework on this, but put it out there for others to chime in.  Sounds like we would at least have a few people interested, so I will set something up very soon to test things out.  

Here is the invite info:  
You are invited to join my private poker club for Home Games online.

- If you don't already have it, download the free [#?PokerBrand#] software from www.pokerstars.com
- Open the main poker lobby, then click on the Home Games tab
- Click the 'Join a Poker Club' button
- Enter my Club ID number: 2113841
- Enter my Invitation Code: CGPoker650

That's it! Once I've approved your membership request, we'll be ready to start playing Home Games online together.

If you want to find out more, visit ]our Home Games page.

Joelala

This could be cool I would be interested
Joe

Brlesq

Quoteninfiction - 5/9/2017  10:41 PM

That's what a sand-bagging hustler would say!!  Don't believe him!  :hypno:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cap10_Morgan

Looking forward to this.  I posted the info for joining in OP.  Once we get a few people signed up, we will set up a time for us to play one night to check it out and see what kind of format we thing will work.  

I'm thinking once a month might be a good idea for best turnout.  But depends on how long it takes to play til we have a winner I guess.  So we need to check out the different formats available.  (chip count, blinds, etc)  Because if its going to take too long for one night, we might need to do split it up to bi weekly or something like that.  I'm sure we will get it figured out.  Just need to get a few hands under our belts and see how things play out.

Cap10_Morgan

Oh, and we can do a bigger pot where everyone chips in if you want.  But I was actually thinking of supplying a 5er for the first time and making a giveaway to thank everyone for welcome me like they have.  But in all honesty, you guys probably wouldn't like my 5 pack, hahahaha.

Cap10_Morgan

Quoteklamm143 - 5/9/2017  9:24 PM

Hey Jeff - I already have poker-stars set up on my fire tv..........have not used any features except auto play / where it pairs you up with random players - but I'll play around with it as well and let you know what I find out. I'll send you a PM here in a minute.

Hey Kevin, How does the play money work on pokerstars?  Looks like I HAVE to have a minumum buy-in of 20k play chips.  But also looks like you earn free play chips occasionally?  Is this going to be a problem for us, or is earning 20k chips easy?  Like signing in here and there?

klamm143

Sign in...then every 4 hours you can free spin for free chips......it's pretty easy.......but there is a 10,000 chip buy in minimum. YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL....move the curser around to highlight the game you intend to play (low buy ins) because the game auto defaults to some pretty large chip games....once you click to enter a game - there's no exit button where you can reclaim your anti / pot chips....You can exit a game anytime - but you lose your buy in amount.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cap10_Morgan

Yeah, I created a club for us and created an open table and a daily tournament for now.  (Just to test it out first if we want)  So yeah, as long as people can just sign in a few times throughout the month to earn enough chips for our game, then thats cool.  Thanks.

Deener27

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/9/2017  10:19 PM

What did you use for this "live cash game"?  Or are you talking literally people meeting up IRL?  I'm not worried about playoing for real money.  I figure we could either do tournament style  and winner of the tourney takes the cigars or a monthly thing where biggest stack wins em. I need to check the software/site out more.  I literally have NO idea how it works for private clubs.  Since we have a few interested parties, I will try to set something up soon so we can at least test it out.

We were live.  Once in a while bstessl and I played online with some other friends during the week, but it only social and not for real money.  We all knew where the cash was and that was the live game Friday nights.

Cfickter

Sounds like a great time. haven't played in quite a while.  But can I suggest you establish your own dedicate Google Hangouts link? Once you do the first one then create a Poker Herf thread in the Events forum with the link.  That will give you a constant links to jump to.  the admin can move it up to the top so it doesn't get bumped down as new threads appear
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

jagfandaddy

If i'm not working I would be game
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteCfickter - 5/11/2017  11:29 AM

Sounds like a great time. haven't played in quite a while.  But can I suggest you establish your own dedicate Google Hangouts link? Once you do the first one then create a Poker Herf thread in the Events forum with the link.  That will give you a constant links to jump to.  the admin can move it up to the top so it doesn't get bumped down as new threads appear

I was thinking about this.  Here are my thoughts:  Most of the time when you play online poker, you aren't talking with the people anyway.  We probably wouldn't really be talking MUCH poker.  Usually you are just shootin the crap while playing poker anyway.  And I haven't seen a ton of people on the google herf, so if this split that up, that wouldn't be a good thing.  But yeah, if it was all poker talk and seemed to have 2 very separate things going on in one herf, than would definitely need a separate hangout.  I'm fine with either way.  I don't want to interfere with anything already established or anything.  Just adding my 2 cents, which are not usually worth $.02, lol.  I guess we could always just use the existing one for the first time and see how it goes and if its needed or not?  Again, I'm game for anything.

Cfickter

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/11/2017  12:44 PM  
QuoteCfickter - 5/11/2017  11:29 AM  Sounds like a great time. haven't played in quite a while.  But can I suggest you establish your own dedicate Google Hangouts link? Once you do the first one then create a Poker Herf thread in the Events forum with the link.  That will give you a constant links to jump to.  the admin can move it up to the top so it doesn't get bumped down as new threads appear
I was thinking about this.  Here are my thoughts:  Most of the time when you play online poker, you aren't talking with the people anyway.  We probably wouldn't really be talking MUCH poker.  Usually you are just shootin the crap while playing poker anyway.  And I haven't seen a ton of people on the google herf, so if this split that up, that wouldn't be a good thing.  But yeah, if it was all poker talk and seemed to have 2 very separate things going on in one herf, than would definitely need a separate hangout.  I'm fine with either way.  I don't want to interfere with anything already established or anything.  Just adding my 2 cents, which are not usually worth $.02, lol.  I guess we could always just use the existing one for the first time and see how it goes and if its needed or not?  Again, I'm game for anything.

I am not trying to be the Hangouts police here, I could just see a possible conflict.  Hangouts is limited to 10 people, so if you have 5 or 6 players who want to chat, even if it is not poker talk, while playing it could potentially block people from joining who just want the usual herf banter.  I am all for getting as many of the Geeks on the herfs and it has been great seeing new people, like yourself, joining in.  The existing link is there for all Geeks to use and enjoy.

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cap10_Morgan

I don't see anyone has joined the group in the Pokerstars software yet.  Has anyone tried and having issues?  Or just haven't had time?

Brlesq

QuoteCfickter - 5/11/2017  1:08 PM

I am not trying to be the Hangouts police here, I could just see a possible conflict.  Hangouts is limited to 10 people, so if you have 5 or 6 players who want to chat, even if it is not poker talk, while playing it could potentially block people from joining who just want the usual herf banter.  I am all for getting as many of the Geeks on the herfs and it has been great seeing new people, like yourself, joining in.  The existing link is there for all Geeks to use and enjoy.

I agree with Chuck. The Hangout functionality is limited to 10 users.  We have hit that threshold a couple of times in the past week with new guys, like yourself, joining our regular group.  I think that is great! Nothing wrong with the Poker idea, but it should have its own herf channel so as to not prevent members from joining the general conversational group.

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cap10_Morgan

Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize it was limited to 10.  So actually, depending on how many people we get, might not be able to do its own channel anyway.

junglepete

I like poker stars and play on it often (same handle as here junglepete) I would be interested to join up with a group of geek herfers for some poker for sure. I will check out the site today and see if I can find the invite.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

junglepete

Okay, I joined the club  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cap10_Morgan

Awesome, I accepted you.  Once we get a few others, we can set up a test run and see how this will work out.  In the meantime, I will have to check out how to set up the google hangouts thing also.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.