Well It's Official - Apple has Killed the Cigar Geeks app!

Started by SenorPablo, 06/06/2017 03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenorPablo

Hi Folks,

I know many of you have been waiting patiently for the update of the Cigar Geeks Application as we have battled with Apple for many months.  For those I have not communicated with personally via emails or PMs, Apple has a new policy (or at least one they now enforce) that forbids the free adults of the world the ability to make their own lifestyle choices.  Specifically Apple has bestowed upon themselves the divine sovereignty to choose for us to not allow any application in their iTunes store that makes any reference to tobacco.  So it is with much disappointment that I have to pass along this information.  The Cigar Geeks application on the Apple platform is dead!

Supposedly, they are not singling us out.  As any other app submits for new updates and releases they will also be rejected.  So over time they will all go away and we will live closer to the Utopian world that Apple has imposed upon us.  Aren't we so blessed to have such a fine institution watching out for all of our lives and liberties!

If you have the app installed, it will continue to run fine (ignore the scary message Apple displays about it being too old.)  I think you can even still download the old one from iTunes.  But over time, when the new release of iOS comes out that no longer supports 32 bit applications it will not work.

At this point, I don't believe Google is doing anything with tobacco on their store so that app might stay online.

Please commence with as much anti-Apple rhetoric as you like.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

DonM

Well that just stinks!  Now we not only have a bunch of idiots left in the swamp at the White House telling is what we can and can't do, we have a private corporation dictating what apps are acceptable based on its content.  I use their phones, but screw Apple.  May have to look at android in the future........

"The Curmudgeon"

freakydeakydutchman

I forbid any apple or itune in my house. android all the way much more user friendly and eaier to use..AND it doent try to take over my pc and tv and what not
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

Cap10_Morgan

Quotefreakydeakydutchman - 6/6/2017  4:51 PM

I forbid any apple or itune in my house. android all the way much more user friendly and eaier to use..AND it doent try to take over my pc and tv and what not

This!  Just one of the many reasons I have always refused to use Apple.  Great thing about Android is even IF they forbid an app from the store, there are plenty of "make you own app" resources available to keep it going.  This sucks though!
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

amigodecigars

Apple supports windows                                                                                                                                                                                              
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Jackal

They don't agree with tobacco usage, but have no problem with sweatshops that make their components.  

At Foxconn, conditions by Apple made it such that suicide was preferable to working there.  When they had too many cases of employees jumping to their deaths, Foxconn found a solution, putting netting below the windows.  True story.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

klamm143

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

wescat

QuoteJackal - 6/6/2017  7:34 PM

They don't agree with tobacco usage, but have no problem with sweatshops that make their components.  

At Foxconn, conditions by Apple made it such that suicide was preferable to working there.  When they had too many cases of employees jumping to their deaths, Foxconn found a solution, putting netting below the windows.  True story.

Well put Jason.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qibxm52y1v8

Fu$k Apple products, I do not like them.

Steve Jobs was such a large, moist, un-wiped, turd packed, scar tissue and hemorrhoid grape clustered as$hole that he made Bill Gates look like the Dalai Lama.

Fu$k Apple.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Brlesq

Its a constant argument at my house.  I own an Android, and the rest of the family has iPhones.  But there are many times (like this) that my Android wins the right-to-choose technology battle.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

toby2

well that sucks but that's pretty much how it goes these day. smoke all the weed you want that's been sprayed with god knows what god knows where while swilling down alcohol but don't enjoy tobacco..... i still don't get it Big Dan?

i still love my Apple gear though bcs hey, it just works. sucks about the app though. the app is how i found all you curmudgeons but mine started acting up so long ago i forget and i just deleted it. i found out i never had the patience for cataloging my stash anyway.

(for the record i have nothing against herbal remedies or overpriced spirits...  :shy: )

Olddog

Never have had any urge to own an Apple product as they always have had a dictatorial attitude of "Either our way or no way."  Windows and android may have issues but at least they are open and allow those who want to do whatever they want to do.  Screw apple and all the snowflakes that work for them
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

MacMac

Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

BewareDaPenguin

I have apple products but man I"m all against censorship and this feels like censorship! And that is true Jackal!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

jagfandaddy

wow, that really sucks....glad I have an android!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

tgs679

Companies and people who think and do business this way are the true fascists. I will never buy another Apple product.

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

shakinghorizons

I'll just add this to the growing list of reasons I will NEVER own an Apple product.

Cfickter

No doubt I am going to catch a lot of crap for what is going to follow, and this is going to put me in a very small camp, maybe even a camp of 1.  But bring it on!  This has nothing to do with any of my personal values or choices, its just business

This change in tobacco policy was just recently posted by Apple (yesterday, but has been in the developer forum discussions since Jan) as part of an extensive list of changes to the developer guidelines, in this case  (New) 1.4.3 Apps that encourage consumption of tobacco products, illegal drugs, or excessive amounts of alcohol are not permitted on the App Store. Apps that encourage minors to consume any of these substances will be rejected. Facilitating the sale of marijuana, tobacco, or controlled substances (except for licensed pharmacies) isn’t allowed.

I am an Apple apologist I use and love their products and while I don't agree with their decision as a private business I don't think anyone has the right to tell you what you must carry as a product in your business.  I think many of you would be up in arms if you had a business and someone told you what you must stock and sell.  Chick-fil-A closes on Sunday and Hobby Lobby took their case to the Supreme Court to be able to run their businesses as they wish.  As a consumer you are then faced with a choice do not support those businesses and find another place to go or another product to use.

As a business owner you make choices based on what your personal beliefs are or what consumer sentiment is.  Somewhere in the very deep bowels of Apple someone did the analysis what this policy would do to their future sales.  My guess they come up with a downside number so small it was an easy decision.  

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Jackal

I took issue with them a few years back when they started propagating the myth of 3rd hand smoke as a way to get out of honoring their warranties.  

They stated that the residues from tobacco smoking made touching anything that had been in a room with a lit cigarette or cigar a health hazard, and thus were protecting their employees form coming into contact with carcinogens.  This kind of hysteria mongering as an excuse not to fulfil their obligations to their customers makes them a company that I would not want to do business with.  Not only are they evading their obligations, but by propagating anti-tobacco deceit, they are harming an industry that we love.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Brlesq

QuoteCfickter - 6/7/2017  5:14 PM

No doubt I am going to catch a lot of crap for what is going to follow, and this is going to put me in a very small camp, maybe even a camp of 1.  But bring it on!  This has nothing to do with any of my personal values or choices, its just business

This change in tobacco policy was just recently posted by Apple (yesterday, but has been in the developer forum discussions since Jan) as part of an extensive list of changes to the developer guidelines, in this case  (New) 1.4.3 Apps that encourage consumption of tobacco products, illegal drugs, or excessive amounts of alcohol are not permitted on the App Store. Apps that encourage minors to consume any of these substances will be rejected. Facilitating the sale of marijuana, tobacco, or controlled substances (except for licensed pharmacies) isn't allowed.

I am an Apple apologist I use and love their products and while I don't agree with their decision as a private business I don't think anyone has the right to tell you what you must carry as a product in your business.  I think many of you would be up in arms if you had a business and someone told you what you must stock and sell.  Chick-fil-A closes on Sunday and Hobby Lobby took their case to the Supreme Court to be able to run their businesses as they wish.  As a consumer you are then faced with a choice do not support those businesses and find another place to go or another product to use.

As a business owner you make choices based on what your personal beliefs are or what consumer sentiment is.  Somewhere in the very deep bowels of Apple someone did the analysis what this policy would do to their future sales.  My guess they come up with a downside number so small it was an easy decision.  

HERESY!!!  BURN THE MINION!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

Sung to the tune of "Video Killed the Radio Star"

Apple has Killed the Cigar Geeks App

I heard you on the wireless back in ninety two
Smoking alone intent at lighting up with you
If I was young it didn't stop you coming through
Oh a oh
They took the credit for your cigar database
Rewritten by machine on new technology
And now I understand the problems you can see
Oh a oh
I met your members
Oh a oh
What did you tell them?
Apple has killed the cigar geeks app
Pictures came along with reviews
Oh, a, a, a, oh
And now we meet in an abandoned cigar lounge
We smell the fine smoke and it seems so long ago
And you remember the jingles used to go
Oh-a oh
You were the first one
Oh-a oh
You were the last one
On my computer and in my room, we can't rewind we've gone to far
Oh-a-aho oh
Oh-a-aho oh

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

sar127

@cfickter No doubt Apple's decision was a purely business minded, they're no fly by night overgrown manchild twits like the execs over at Uber for example. But it's just hard for me to grasp the the true value of this decision. How much fallout was there from tobacco apps in the first place? How many times did non smokers or parents of young children run across tobacco related apps on a daily basis? How many new or existing consumers did they appease with this action? And better yet, don't they have more pressing matters  to deal with? Etc

Remember CVS' very public decision to stop selling tobacco products a few years ago? They claimed to be knowingly losing a very large revenue stream from this, but to me the benefits were clearly visible (albeit insignificant)to me. No more nicotine tweakers and homeless people lining up in front of your "wholesome" family shopping for last minute milk and groceries or what have you. UPS' choice made no sense to me either. 

Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.